RECYCLED POLYPROPYLENE/BOEHMITE ALUMINA NANOCOMPOSITES: ENHANCED STRUCTURE, THERMAL AND MECHANICAL PROPERTIES.
- Indian Rubber Manufacturers Research Association,Wagle Industrial Estate,Thane (W), Mumbai- 400604, India.
- SreeVidyanikethan Engineering College, SreeSainath Nagar,Tirupati, A.Rangampet, AndhraPradesh-517102, India.
- Department of Applied Chemistry, University of Johannesburg, Doornfontein 2028,Johannesburg, South Africa.
- Department of Polymer Technology,Tshwane University of Technology, CSIR Campus, Building 14D,Private Bag X025, Lynwood Ridge 0040,Pretoria, South Africa
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Boehmite alumina (BAL) powder was investigated in terms of its use as a filler in PP in order to improve the inherent properties of recycled polypropylene. Nanocomposites of recycled polypropylene with different loadings of BLA were prepared by melt compounding technique. The structural characterization and morphology of BAL nanopowder were characterized by X-ray diffraction (XRD) and Transmission electron microscope (TEM). The influence of BAL nanoparticle content on the thermal properties of recycled polypropylene (PP) was studied by means of differential scanning calorimetry (DSC) and thermogravimetric analysis (TGA). The effect of the BAL content on the mechanical properties and morphological analyses (SEM) of recycled PP/BAL nanocomposites was also studied. It was found that BAL significantly affected the crystallization temperature and the degree of crystallization of recycled PP. The results showed that the BAL effectively improved the mechanical properties of recycled PP. In comparison with neat PP, the tensile strength of PP/BAL (3 wt%) nanocomposites increased by ~21% and the modulus increased by ~101%. Recycled polypropylene/boehmite alumina nanocomposites have such properties that advise their relevance for application in the packaging industries.
- Hisham A. Maddah. (2016), ?Polypropylene as a Promising Plastic: A Review?, American Journal of Polymer Science, vol. 6,1-11.
- Guerrica-Echevarria, J. I. Eguiazaibal and J.Nazaibal (1996),? Effects of reprocessing? conditionson the properties of unfilledandtalc-filled polypropylene? Polymer Degradation and Stability, vol.53, l-8.
- LI, T. Q., C. N. Ng, R, and R. K. Y. LI. (2001), ?Impact Behavior of Sawdust/Recycled?PP, Composites?, Journal?ofApplied Polymer Science, vol.81(6), 1420?1428.
- Srebrenkoska, V.,G. B. Gaceva, M Avella, E. E. Maria, and G. Gennaro. (2009), ?Utilization of Recycled Polypropylene for Production of Eco-Composites?Polymer-Plastics Technology?and?Engineering, 48(11), 1113?1120.
- Dibyaranjan M, and P. Sanjay. (2012). ?Secondary Fiber/Recycled Polypropylene Composites? Asian Journal?ofResearch?in?Chemistry, 5(5), 655-659.
- Fuad, M. Y. A., H. Hanim, R. Zarina, Z. A. M. Ishak, and A. Hassan.(2010), ?Nanofillersimprove themechanical properties ofrecycled polypropylene. Polypropylene/calcium carbonate nanocomposites?effects of processing techniques and maleated polypropylenecompatibiliser?, eXPRESS Polymer Letters, 4(10), 611?620.
- Pedrazzoli, D., R. Ceccato, J. Karger-Kocsis, and A. Pegoretti. (2013), ?Viscoelastic behaviour and fracture toughness oflinear-low-density polyethylene reinforced with syntheticboehmiten alumina nanoparticles? eXPRESS Polymer Letters,v 7(8), 652?666.
- Santos, P. S., A. C. V. Coelho, H. S. Santos, and P. K. Kiyohara. (2009), ?Hydrothermal Synthesis of Well-CrystallisedBoehmite Crystals of Various Shapes?,Materials Research. 12(4), 437-445.
- Streller, R. C., R. Thomann, O. Torno, and R. M?lhaupt.(2008), ?Isotactic poly(propylene) nanocomposites based upon boehmitenanofillers?, Macromolecular?Materials and?Engineering, vol. 293(3),218-227.
- Petr, S., K. Trivedi, D. Svobodova, P. Mokrejs, and K. Kolomaznik.(2012), ?Effect of Initial Melting Temperature on Crystallization of Polypropylene/OrganoclayNanocomposites? Macromolecular Research, vol. 20(7), 659-666.
- Modesti,M., A. Lorenzetti, D. Bon, and S. Besco.(2005), ?Effect of processing conditions on morphology and mechanical properties of compatibilized polypropylene nanocomposites?, Polymer, vol. 46(23), 10237-10245.
- Patnaik,K.S.K. R., K. S. Devi, and V. K. Kumar.(2010), ?Non-isothermal Crystallization Kinetics of Polypropylene (PP) and Polypropylene (PP)/Talc Nanocomposite?, InternationalJournal of Chemical Engineering and Applications, vol.1(4), 346-353.
- Maiti, P., P. H. Nam, and M. Okamoto.(2002), ?Influence of Crystallization on Intercalation, Morphology andMechanical Properties of Polypropylene/Clay Nanocomposites?, Macromolecules,vol. 35(6), 2042-2049.
- G. Salemane, and A. S. Luyt.(2006), ?Thermal and Mechanical Properties ofPolypropylene-Wood Powder Composites?, Journal?ofApplied Polymer Science, vol. 100 (5), 4173-4180.
[Jayaramudu Jarugala, Jeevan PreshdReddy. D, Rajkumar Kasilingam, Manohar Nawale, Suchismita Sahoo, Siva Mohan Reddy Goddeti, Babul Reddy Abbavaram, Suprakas Sinha Ray and E. Rotimi Sadiku. (2017); RECYCLED POLYPROPYLENE/BOEHMITE ALUMINA NANOCOMPOSITES: ENHANCED STRUCTURE, THERMAL AND MECHANICAL PROPERTIES. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 5 (1). 1021-1028] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Indian Rubber Manufacturers Research Association (IRMRA)
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/2846 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/2846
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.