FIBULAR OSTEOSYNTHESIS WITH CANNULATED HIP SCREW FIXATION OF NEGLECTED FEMORAL NECK FRACTURE IN A YOUNG ADULT: CASE REPORT.
- Post Graduate Student, P.G.Dept. of Orthopaedics ,VSSIMSAR , Burla , Sambalpur University ,Odisha Asso. Professor , P.G.Dept. of Orthopaedics ,VSSIMSAR , Burla , Sambalpur University ,Odisha
Neglected fracture neck of femur is a challenging condition to treat. Preservation of the head of femur is desirable in young patients.In order to preserve the femoral head in femoral neck non-union in young adults, the preferred option of treatment is open reduction and internal fixation. Where there are no facilities for microvascular surgery, non-vascularized fibular strut grafts can be used with screws. This paper describes the use of fibular strut graft and cancellous screws in the open reduction and internal fixation of a neglected femoral neck fracture associated with avascular necrosis of femoral head in a young adult that was followed up for four years. The use of non-vascularized fibular strut grafts and screws for fixation of non-united fractures of femoral necks, even in the presence of avascular necrosis, could lead to union.It is cost-effective and technically less demanding, and associated with good outcomes.
- Azam MQ, Iraqi A, Sherwani M, Sabir AB, Abbas M, Asif N. Free fibular strut graft in neglected femoral neck fractures in adult. Indian J Orthop 2009;43:62–6.
- Bhandari M, Devereaux PJ, Swiontkowski MF, Tornetta P 3rd,Obremskey W, Koval KJ, et al. Internal fixation compared with arthroplasty for displaced fractures of the femoral neck. A metaanalysis. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2003;85-A:1673-81.
- Barnes R, Brown JT, Garden RS, Nicoll EA. Subcapital fractures of the femur. A prospective review. J Bone Joint Surg Br 1976;58:2-24.
- Compere, E.L. and Lee, J. The restoration of physiological and anatomical function in old ununitedintracapsular fractures of the neck of the femur.J Bone Joint Surg. 1940; 22: 261-277.
- 5. Damany DS, Parker MJ, Chojnowski A. Complications after intracapsular hip fractures in young adults. A meta-analysis of 18 published studies involving 564 fractures. Injury 2005;36:131-41.
- Dickson JA. The unsolved fracture; a protest against defeatism. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1953;35-A:805-22.
- Elgafy, H., Ebraheim, N.A. and Bach, H.G. Revision internal fixation and nonvascular fibular graft for femoral neck nonunion. J Trauma.2011;70: 169–173
- LeCroy CM, Rizzo M, Gunneson EE, Urbaniak JR. Free vascularized fibular bone grafting in the management of femoral neck nonunion in patients younger than fifty years. J Orthop Trauma 2002;16:464–72
- Loizou CL, Parker MJ. Avascular necrosis after internal fixation ofintracapsular hip fractures; a study of the outcome for 1023 patients.Injury 2009;40:1143-6.
- Meyers MH, Harvey JP Jr, Moore TM. Delayed treatment of subcapital and transcervical fractures of the neck of the femur with internal fixation and a muscle pedicle bone graft.OrthopClin North Am 1974;5:743-56.
- Nagi, O.N., Dhillon, M.S. and Goni, V.G. Open reduction, internal fixation and fibular autografting for neglected fracture of the femoral neck. J Bone Joint Surg. 1998; 80B:798-804.
- Phemister, D.B. Treatment of the necrotic head of the femur in adults. J Bone Joint Surg. 1949; 31A: 55-66.
- Roshan, A. and Ram, S. Early return to function in young adults with neglected femoral neck fractures. ClinOrthopRelat Res. 2006; 447:1
- Sandhu, H.S., Sandhu, P.S. and Kapoor, A. Neglected fractured neck of the femur a predictive classification and treatment by osteosynthesis. ClinOrthopRelat Res. 2005;431:14–20.
Cite This Article as:
[Dillip Kumar Chand and B.N.Mohapatra. (2017); FIBULAR OSTEOSYNTHESIS WITH CANNULATED HIP SCREW FIXATION OF NEGLECTED FEMORAL NECK FRACTURE IN A YOUNG ADULT: CASE REPORT. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 5 (1). 536-539] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/2778 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/2778
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.