- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Penetrating trauma to the abdomen is an emergent and life-threatening event which needs immediate surgical attention. Moreover, retroperitoneal penetrating trauma is more challenging when managed based on clinical evaluation alone.We report a case of descending colon perforation due to a pellet gunshot wound. The patient had no clinical manifestations of colonic perforation, e.g. peritonitis. The diagnosis was based solely on the finding of a filling defect on delayed rectal contrast. No similar finding has been described in trauma setting.
- Velmahos GC,et al.A selective approach to the management of gunshot wounds to the back. Am J Surg. 2013 Nov;174(3):342-6.
- Emeklioglu I,Kayaalp C, Aydin C. Case report on the demonstration of minute colonic perforations caused by birdshot injury. Eur J Trauma Emerg Surg. 2010 Jun;36(3):260-2.
- Tzovaras G,Hatzitheofilou C. New trends in the management of colonic trauma. 2005 Sep;36(9):1011-5.
- Ball CG. Currentmanagement of penetrating torso trauma: nontherapeutic is not good enough anymore.Can J Surg. 2014 Apr;57(2):E36-43.
- Pryor JP,Reilly PM, Dabrowski GP, Grossman MD, Schwab CW. Nonoperative management of abdominal gunshot wounds. Ann Emerg Med. 2004 Mar;43(3):344-53.
- Burns RK,Sariol HS, Ross SE. Penetrating posterior abdominal trauma. 1994 Sep;25(7):429-31.
- Daly KP,Ho CP, Persson DL, Gay SB.Traumatic retroperitoneal injuries: Review of Multidetector CT Findings. 2008 Oct;28(6):1571-90.
- Khan S,Pardhan A, Bawa T, Haroon N. Conservative management of an abdominal gunshot injury with a peritoneal breach: wisdom orabsurdity?. BMJ Case Rep. 2013. doi:10.1136/bcr-2013-201593.
- Clark KR. Imaging assessment of gunshot injuries. Radiol Technol.2016 Jul;87(6):627-44.
- Stefanou C,Zikos N, Pappas-Gogos G, Koulas S, TsimoyiannisI.Laparoscopic bullet removal in a penetrating abdominal gunshot. Case Rep Surg. 2016;2016:2712439.
- Butt MU,Zacharias N, Velmahos GC. Penetrating abdominal injuries: management controversies.Scand J Trauma ResuscEmerg Med. 2009 Apr 17;17:19.
- Singh JP,Steward MJ, Booth TC, Mukhtar H, Murray D. Evolution of imaging for abdominal perforation. Ann R CollSurg Engl. 2010 Apr;92(3):182-8.
[Ali H. Al-Ameer,ShumailaTanveer, Ali A. Alghanim, Mohammed H. Almomen and MamounNabri. (2017); FILLING DEFECT IN ABDOMINAL X-RAY POST RECTAL CONTRAST HELPS TO DIAGNOSE DESCENDING COLON PERFORATION Int. J. of Adv. Res. 5 (1). 573-576] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Department of General Surgery, King Fahad Hospital of the University-Dammam, Saudi Arabia.
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/2784 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/2784
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.