Effect of diode laser depigmentation on gingival tissue of dogs.
- Assistant lecturer of Oral Biology, Faculty of Dentistry, MSA University, Egypt.
- Professor of Oral Biology, head of Oral Biology Department, Faculty of Dentistry, Ain Shams niversity,Egypt.
- Assistant Professor in Laser Dental Applications, Oral Surgery and Medicine Department, National Research Center,Egypt.
- Lecturer of Oral Biology, Faculty of Dentistry, Ain Shams University,Egypt.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Introduction:Intraoral soft tissue esthetics has become a significant aspect of dentistry and clinicians are faced with achieving acceptable gingival esthetics as well as addressing biologic and functional problems. Aim of study: was to evaluate the effect of diode laser irradiation on gingival depigmentation. Materials and methods: 3 watts continuous mode diode laser was used to remove gingival hyperpigmentation of dogs. Specimens were divided according to the follow up periods of (1, 2, 4 and 8 weeks) where the experimental specimens were contralateral to the control ones. Specimens were evaluated pre- and post-treatment histologically using H&E, histochemically using Masson Fontana and ultrastructurally by transmission electron microscope. Results:histological, histochemical and ultrastructural evaluation revealed a statistically significant decrease in melanin content in the follow up periods compared to the baseline. Meanwhile, the recurrence of melanin was observed more in groups of 4 and 8 weeks after laser irradiation yet did not reach the baseline.
- Attwa E., Khater M., Assaf M. and Abdel Halim M.(2015).: Melasma treatment using an erbium:YAG laser: a clinical, immunohistochemical and ultrastructural study. International Journal of Dermatology; 54:235-244
- Atsawasuwan P., Greethong K. and Nimmanon V.(2000): Treatment of gingival hyperpigmentation for esthetic purposes by Nd:YAG laser: report of 4 cases. J Periodontol;71:315-21
- Costin G-E. and Hearing V. J.(2007).: Human skin pigmentation: melanocytes modulate skin color in response to stress. FASEB J. 21, 976?994
- Dummett CO and Gupta OP. (1964): Estimating the epidemiology of oral pigmentation. J Natl Med Assoc;56:419‐
- Dummett G.T.B, D.V.M. and Theodore E.B. (1964).: Oral Pigmentation in Canis Familiaris Clifton Journal of Periodontology; 35 (5):416-423
- Hegde R., Padhye A., Sumanth S., Jain A.S., and ukral N.(2013):Comparison of surgical stripping; Erbium-doped:yttrium, alu- minum, and garnet laser; and carbon dioxide laser techniques for gingival depigmentation: a clinical and histologic study, Journal of Periodontology; 84(6):738?748.
- Lagdive S., Doshi Y. and Marawar P.P. (2009): Management of gingival hyperpigmentation using surgical blade and diode laser therapy: A comparative study. J Oral Laser Appl; 9:41?7.
- Lagdive S.B., Lagdive S.S., Marawar P.P., Bhandari A.J., Darekar A. and Saraf V. (2010): Surgical Crown Lengthening of the Clinical Tooth Crown by Using Semiconductor Diode Laser: A Case Series. J Oral Laser Appl; 10:53?57
- Romeo U., Russo C. and Palaia G.(2014): Biopsy of different oral so tissues lesions by KTP and diode laser: histological evaluationthe Scientific World Journal
- Rosa D.S., Aranha A.C., Eduardo Cde. P. and Aoki A.(2007).: Esthetic treatment of gingival melanin hyperpigmentation with Er:YAG laser: short-term clinical observations and patient follow-up. J Periodontol; 78(10):2018-25.
- Sharon E., Azaz B. and Ulmansky M. (2000): Vaporization of melanin in oral tissues and skin with carbon dioxide laser: A canine study. J Oral Maxillofac Surg; 58:1387-1393.
- Shenawy H.M, Nasry S.A, Zaky A.A and Quriba M.A. A.(2015).: Treatment of Gingival Hyperpigmentation by Diode Laser for Esthetical Purposes. Macdonian Journal of Medical Sciences; 3(3):447-454.
- Yousuf A, Hossain M, Nakamura Y, Yamada Y., Kinoshita J. and Matsumoto K. (2000):Removal of gingival melanin pigmentation with the semiconductor diode laser: a case report. J Clin Laser Med Surg;18:263-6.
[Sara H Elbanna, Ahmed M Halawa, Hanaa M ElShenawy and Dina M Abdel Khalek. (2017); Effect of diode laser depigmentation on gingival tissue of dogs. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 5 (1). 741-750] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Modern Sciences and Arts University, Faculty of Dentistry, Egypt
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/2809 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/2809
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.