TOXIC EFFECTS OF CU(SO4) ON GILL AND LIVER TISSUES OF FRESH WATER CATFISH CLARIAS BATRACHUS (LINN.).
- Department of Zoology Govt. Degree College Doda, University of Jammu, J&K, India.
- Department of Zoology G. G. M. Science College, Jammu, University of Jammu, J&K, India.
- Department of Zoology Govt. Banazir Science and Commerce College, Barkatullah University, (M.P.), India
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Heavy metals are a major problem because they are toxic and tend to accumulate in living organisms. This study was carried out with the aims of studying on histopathology of Cu(SO4) toxicity on gill and liver tissues of catfish Clarias batrachus within the period of 96 h. Totally, 140 fishes with mean weight 60 ± 10 g were stocked in 12 aquariums with capacity of 200 L water and divided in to 3 trails including control, 0.3 ppm and 0.5 ppm of Cu with 3 replicates. Tissue samples were fixed by bouin’s solution and sectioned in 7 ?m based on histological regular method and stained with Hematoxylin and Eosin (H & E) method for microscopic study within the period of 96 h. Results showed some damaged such as hyperplasia, telangiectasis and edema, necrosis of second filaments, jerky movement, aneurism, hyperaemia and fusion of second filaments in gills; and cell atrophy, necrosis, fatty degeneration, hyperaemia and bile stagnation at different treatments in comparison with control. Gill and liver tissue damages were severed with the increase of Cu concentration and days. Therefore, Cu had acute toxicity effects on gill and liver tissues in Catfish at 0.3 and 0.5 ppm concentrations.
- Adhikari, S. and Ayyappan, S. 2004. Behavioral role of zinc on primary productivity, plankton and grow of a fresh water teleost Labeo rohita. (Hamilton). Aquaculture 231(14):327- 336.
- Alvarado, N.E. Quesada, I. Hylland, K. Marigomez, I. and Soto, M. 2006. Quantitative changes in metallothionein expression in target cell-types in the gills of turbot (Scophthalmus maximus) exposed to Cd, Cu and Zn and after a depuration treatment. Aquat. Toxicol. 77(1):64-77.
- Athikesavan, S. Vincent, S. Ambrose, T. and Velmurugan, B. 2006. Nickel induced histopathological changes in the different tissues of freshwater fish, Clarias batrachus (Valenciennes). J. Environ. Biol. 27(2):391-395.
- Clark, R. 1986. Marine pollution. Clarendon press, Oxford. pp. 64-82.
- Colins, S.P. and Brown, J.A. 1998. Lamellar adhesion and impactions for gaseous exchange in brown trout exposed to low levels of aluminum. Department of Biological Sciences Hatchery Laboratory, University of Exeter, Devon, EX4 4PS, UK, pp. 51-55.
- Donmez, H. Dursun, N. Ozkul, Y. and Demiratas, H. 1993. Increased sister chromatin exchange in workers exposed to occupational lead and copper. Biol. Trace Elem. Res. 61(1):105-109.
- Farangi, M. and Hajimoradloo, M. 2007. Clinical and histopatholoical acute toxicity signs of Ammonia in Rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). J. Azadshahr Azad Univ. 4:72-79.
- Fathollahi, R. Khara, H. Pajand, Z. Shenavar, A. Hallajian, A. and Moshtaghi. 2010. Lethal concentration detection (LC50 – 96 h) of NaCl and its effects on gills of Persian sturgeon (Acipenser persicus). J. Biol. Sci. Azad Univ. Lahijan 3:52-65.
- Fernandez, C. Fernandes, A.F. Ferreira, M. and Salgado, M.A. 2008. Oxidative stress response in gill and liver of (Liza saliens), from the Esmoriz-Paramos Coastal Lagoon, Portugal. Arch. Environ. Contam. Toxicol. 55:2.
- Gorouiee, H. Jamili, S.H. and Rostami, M. 2008. Acute toxicity of Aluminum sulphate on gill tissues of Rutilus rutilus. Educ. Res. Aquat. Anim. 79:193-196.
- Hallajian, A. 2010. Histological methods. Int. Sturgeon Res. Inst. p. 212.
- Jeney, Z.S. 1992. Acute effect of sub lethal ammonia concentrations on common carp. Effect of ammonia on adrenalin and noradrenalin levels in different organs. Aquaculture 104:139-148.
- Kamaraju S, Ramasamy K 2011. Effect of cadmium chloride on glycogen content in gill, liver and kidney of edible exotic fish Clarias batrachus. J. Curr. Res. 33(5):53-57.
- Mohammad KA 2003. Detection of LC50 and study on acute effects of Zinc on muscle tissues of gonads and liver in Common Carp (Cyprinus carpio). MSc Thesis. North Branch of Tehran University. p. 98.
- Karan V, Victoric S, Tutundic V, Poleksic V 2002. Functional Enzymes Activity and Histology of Carp after Copper Sulfate Exposure and Recovery. Ecotoxicol. Environ. Saf. 40:49-55.
- Kasraiee P 2009. Heavy metals in environment. J. Ecol. ttp://www.drkasraie.blogfa.com/post8aspx.
- Kaviraj A, Das S 1995. Influence of Chelating Agent EDTA, Absorbent Activated Charcoal and Inorganic Fertilizer (single super phosphate) on the Histophatological Changes of Common carp Exposed to Copper sulphate. Proc. Nata-Sci. India.B. Biol. Sci. 65:305-308.
- Kumar P, Singh A 2010. Cadmium toxicity in fish: An overview. GERF Bull. Biosci. 1(1):41-47.
- Mansour SA, Sidky MM 2002. Ecotoxicological studies. 3: Heavy metals contaminating water and fish from Fayoum Governorate, Egypt. Food Chem. 78:15-22.
- Marioara N, Gabi D, Liliana PC, Motmaria BD, Tapalaga I, Lunca M, Liliana B 2009. Pathologycal tissue lesions Induced by Chronic Cadmium intoxication in Catfish Carassius auratus gibelio. Zootehnie Biotechnol. 42(2):84-90.
- Moshtaghi B, Nezami SH, Kara H, Pajand Z, Shenavar A, Hallajian A, Fathollahi R 2009. Lethal concentration detection of KMnO4 and (CuSO4.5H2O) in Acipenser persicus J. Biol. Sci. Azad Univ. Lahijan 11:67-78.
- Naji T, Safaeian SH, Rostami M, Sabrjoo M 2007. Investigation of Zinc Sulphate on gill of Common Carp (Cyprinus carpio) fry. J. Environ. Technol. Sci. 2:29-36.
- Onwumere BG, Oladimeji AA 1990. Accumulation of metals and histopathology in Oreochromis niloticus exposed to treated NNPC Kaduna (Nigeria) Petroleum Refinery effluent. Ecotoxicol. Environ. Saf. 19:123-134.
- Patra RC, Swarup D, Naresh R, Puneet K, Shekhar P 2005. Cadmium level in blood and milk from animals reared around different polluting sources in India. Bull. Environ. Contam. Toxicol. 76(4):1092-1097.
- Rostami M, Soltani M 2009. Study on chronic effects of copper sulphate on some organs in Cyprinus carpio. J. Vet. Tehran Univ. 64:193-198.
- Rostami M, Soltani M, Sasani F 2000. Study on histopathological effects of some heavy metals (CuSO4, ZnSO4, HgSO4 and CdSO4) on tissues of Cyprinus carpio. J. Vet. Tehran Univ. 55:1–3.
- Schreck CB, Moyle PB 1990. Methods for fish biology. Am. Fisher. Soc. pp. 491-525.
- Swarup D, Patra RC, Naresh Ram, Puneet K, Pallav S, Balagangatharathilagar M 2006. Deficiency of copper and cobalt in goats reared around lead zinc smelter. Small Rumin. Res. 63(3):309-313.
- Vinodhini R, Narayanan M 2008. Bioaccumulation of heavy metals in organs of fresh water fish Cyprinus carpio (Common carp). Int. J. Environ. Sci. Technol. 5(2):179-182.
- Woodling JD, Brinkman SF, Horn BJ 2001. Non uniform accumulation of cadmium and copper in kidney’s of wild brown trout Salmo trutta Arch. Environ. Contam. Toxicol. 40:381-385.
- Yilmaz M, Ersan Y, Koc E, Ozen H, Karaman M 2011. Toxic Effects of Cadmium Sulphate on Tissue Histopathology and Serum Protein Expression in European Chub, Leuciscus cephalus. Kafkas Univ. Vet. Fak Derg 17(Suppl A):131-135.
[Muneesh kumar, Anchal Raj and Rajesh Kumar. (2017); TOXIC EFFECTS OF CU(SO4) ON GILL AND LIVER TISSUES OF FRESH WATER CATFISH CLARIAS BATRACHUS (LINN.). Int. J. of Adv. Res. 5 (1). 801-806] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Department of Zoology Govt. Degree College Doda, University of Jammu, J&K, India.
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/2816 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/2816
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.