THE USE OF SONGS TO IMPROVE SPEAKING SKILL OF SECOND SEMESTER STUDENTS OF TEACHERS TRAINING AND EDUCATIONAL SCIENCE FACULTY OF UNITAL IN ACADEMIC YEAR 2017.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
The study aims at improve speaking skill of the second Semester students of teachers training and Educational Science Faculty of UNITAL in the academic year 2017. This study was an action research consisting two cycles. The research was carried out to the second semester students from April 2017. It involved the researcher, the collaborator, and the students. The participants of this research were 34 students of Second semester of teacher training and educational science faculty of UNITAL in academic year of 2017.The data of this study were qualitative. The qualitative data was obtained by observing teaching and learning process during the implementation of the actions and interviewing. It was in the form of field notes and interview transcripts. The qualitative data was taken by assessing students speaking skill through pre-test and the post-test. The finding of the first cycle indicated that students? speaking skill and involvement improved along with a lot of speaking practices. The result of the second cycle shows that the implementation of English songs improved students? speaking skills, especially their accuracy and interest by providing them with various topics, songs, and activities. It was also found that using language more often can improve their fluency in English language.
- Arikunto, S., Suhardjono & Supardi (2008). Penelitian Tindakan Kelas. Jakarta:Bumi Aksara.
- Alam, Q. Zoha. 2002. English Language Teaching in India: Problems and Issues.New Delhi:Atlantic Publishers.
- Arrikunto, Suharismi. (1993). Prosedur Penelitian. Bandubg: bina AksaraApproach and Methods in language Teaching Melbourne: Cambridge University Press.
- Agib, Zainal.2009. Penelitian Tindakan kelas. Untuk: Guru.CV.Yrama Wydya,Bandung.
- Browm,H. Douglas, 2000. Principles Language Learning and Teaching. San Francisco Longman Inc.Psychology: Concepts and applications, CA: Wadworth.
- Brown, H. Douglas. 2000.Principles of Language Learning and Teaching. 4th Ed.New York: Pearson Education and Longman .
- Burns, A.1999. Collaborative Action Research for English Language Teachers. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Constitui??o RDTL (2002).Of official, national and working languages. Part I section 13 and part VII section 159.
- Camero,L. (2001). Teaching languages to young learners. Canbridge.England.
- Canbridge UniversityJolly,Y.S (1975). The use of songs in teaching foreign language. The modern language
- Richards J.C. & Schmidt R. (2011) Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching and Applied linguistics. (3 Ed).Richards and Rogers (1986).
- Ruis, Nuhung. et al. 2009. Instructional Media. Jakarta: Center for Development and Empowerment of Language Teachers and Education Personnel
- Salah, Sahar Rizk. 2001. Using Songs in EFL Classes.
- Moriga,Y.(1988).English. English speech rhythm and its teaching tonon native speakers. Paper presented at the annual convention of Teachersof English to speakers of other language
- Murphy,T (1992). Using song to enrich the secondary class, Hispanya,75(1),192-196. Htt://dx.doi.org/10.230/344779
- Nei/T.Millintong,center for language education, Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University,Japan.Wright, A. 1976.Visual Materials for the Language Teacher. Essex:LongmanWilson.
- Webs:Bahrani, T. 2012. How to Teach Speaking Skill. Journal of Education and Practice.(iiste.org accessed on May 16th, 2014)Nevid. J. (2013). Carrier, Michael. 2002. Teaching Language with Music http://gs.fanshawec.ca/tlwm/
- Lawtie, Fiona. 2004. Teaching Speaking Skills 2-Overcoming Classroom Problems.
- Schoepp, K., 2001. Reasons for using songs in the ESL/EFL classroom. Retrieved 18January 2011 from http://iteslj.org/Articles/Schoepp-Songs.html
- TESL Journals. (www.teachingenglish.org.uk. accessed:May 15th, 2014)Thirmulai (2011) how to teach another language. From htt://www.languageinindia.com/jam 2011/how long. Html.Griffe, D.T. 2001. Songs in Action. Hertfordshire: Prentice Hall International.
[Cirilo Baltazar. (2017); THE USE OF SONGS TO IMPROVE SPEAKING SKILL OF SECOND SEMESTER STUDENTS OF TEACHERS TRAINING AND EDUCATIONAL SCIENCE FACULTY OF UNITAL IN ACADEMIC YEAR 2017. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 5 (9). 1462-1474] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/5468 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/5468
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.