CASE STUDY OF GASTRO-OESOPHAGEAL REFLUX DISEASE (GERD) V/ S MIGRAINE: DO THEY MINGLE OR IS IT A MYTH.
- Assistant Professor, Department Of ENT, Subbaiah Institute Of Medical Sciences, NH-13, Purle, Holebenavalli Post, Shimoga-577222, Karnataka, India.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Introduction: Over the years, there has been a dilemma regarding arriving at a diagnosis for headache pertaining to its variety of causes. One of the most common overlooked cause in the present day scenario for headache is GERD and Migraine. On day to day basis, we come across varied patient symptomatology which has indeed made us give a second thought to prescribe on management. Aim and Objective: To study if GERD and Migraine actually co-exist or they have a separate root cause for headache and also how change in lifestyle has an impact on health. Methodology: A study of random sample of 450 patients was conducted based on clinical evaluation for diagnosis and conservative management for the same was advised emphasising particularly on lifestyle modification. Results: The results drawn were compared by tabulating them into 3 groups with the two conditions taken as a separate entity and third when the two being mingled to conclude if interlink exists between the two conditions or purely is it a myth. Conclusion: Intermingling of GERD and Migraine was noted predominantly in our study rather than their separate existence.
- Pinessi L, Savi L, Pellicano R, Rainero I, Valfr? W, Gentile S, Cossotto D, Rizzetto M, Ponzetto A (2000): Chronic Helicobacter pylori infection and migraine: a case-control study. Headache.; 40:836?839.
- Voutilainen M, Sipponen P, Mecklin JP, Juhola M (2000): Gastroesophageal reflux disease: prevalence, clinical, endoscopic and histopathological findings in 1128 consecutive patients referred for endoscopy due to dyspeptic and reflux symptoms. Digestion; 61(1):6?13.
- Kotzan J, Wade W, Yu HH (2001): Assessing NSAID prescription use as a predisposing factor for gastroesophageal reflux disease in a Medicaid population. Pharm Res.; 18(9):1367?1372.
- Ciancarelli I, Di Massimo C, Tozzi-Ciancarelli MG, De Matteis G, Marini C, Carolei A(2002): Helicobacter pylori infection and migraine. Cephalalgia.; 22:222?225.
- Thomas J, Straus WL, Bloom BS (2002): Over-the-counter nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and risk of gastrointestinal symptoms. Am J Gastroenterol.; 97(9):2215?2219.
- Shaheen N, Provenzale D (2003): The epidemiology of gastroesophageal reflux disease. Am J Med Sci.; 326(5):264?273.
- Gabrielli M, Cremonini F, Fiore G, Addolorato G, Padalino C, Candelli M, De Leo ME, Santarelli L, Giacovazzo M, Gasbarrini A, et al( 2003): Association between migraine and Celiac disease: results from a preliminary case-control and therapeutic study. Am J Gastroenterol.; 98:625?629.
- Cicarelli G, Della Rocca G, Amboni M, Ciacci C, Mazzacca G, Filla A, Barone P(2003): Clinical and neurological abnormalities in adult celiac disease. Neurol Sci.; 24:311?317.
- Tunca A, T?rkay C, Tekin O, Kargili A, Erbayrak M(2004): Is Helicobacter pylori infection a risk factor for migraine? A case-control study. Acta Neurol Belg.; 104:161?164.
- Vandvik PO, Wilhelmsen I, Ihlebaek C, Farup PG(2004): Comorbidity of irritable bowel syndrome in general practice: a striking feature with clinical implications. Aliment Pharmacol Ther.; 20:1195?1203.
- Pucci E, Di Stefano M, Miceli E, Corazza GR, Sandrini G, Nappi G(2005): Patients with headache and functional dyspepsia present meal-induced hypersensitivity of the stomach. J Headache Pain.; 6:223?226.
- Dent J, El Serag HB, Wallander MA, Johansson S (2005): Epidemiology of gastro-oesophageal reflux disease: a systematic review. Gut J Br Soc Gastroenterol.; 54(5):710?717.
- Meucci G, Radaelli F, Prada A, Bortoli A, Crotta S, Cerrato C, Minoli G (2005): Increased prevalence of migraine in patients with uninvestigated dyspepsia referred for open-access upper gastrointestinal endoscopy. Endoscopy.; 37(7):622?625.
- Aurora SK, Kori SH, Barrodale P, McDonald SA, Haseley D (2006): Gastric stasis in migraine: more than just a paroxysmal abnormality during a migraine attack. Headache J Head Face Pain.; 46(1):57?63.
- Kurth T, Holtmann G, Neufang-H?ber J, Gerken G, Diener HC (2006): Prevalence of unexplained upper abdominal symptoms in patients with migraine. Cephalalgia.; 26:506?510.
- Karamanolis G, Sifrim D (2007): Developments in pathogenesis and diagnosis of gastroesophageal reflux disease. Curr Opin Gastroenterol.; 23(4):428?433.
- Ducrotte P, Liker HR (2007): How do people with gastro-oesophageal reflux disease perceive their disease? Results of a multinational survey. Curr Med Res Opin.; 23(11):2857?2865.
- Yiannopoulou KG, Efthymiou A, Karydakis K, Arhimandritis A, Bovaretos N, Tzivras M(2007): Helicobacter pylori infection as an environmental risk factor for migraine without aura. J Headache Pain.; 8:329?333.
- Aurora S, Kori S, Barrodale P, Nelsen A, McDonald S(2007): Gastric stasis occurs in spontaneous, visually induced, and interictal migraine. Headache.; 47:1443?1446.
- Aamodt AH, Stovner LJ, Hagen K, Zwart JA (2008): Comorbidity of headache and gastrointestinal complaints. The Head-HUNT Study. Cephalalgia.; 28(2):144?151.
- Riedl A, Schmidtmann M, Stengel A, Goebel M, Wisser AS, Klapp BF, M?nnikes H(2008): Somatic comorbidities of irritable bowel syndrome: a systematic analysis. J Psychosom Res.; 64:573?582.
- Alehan F, Oz?ay F, Erol I, Canan O, Cemil T (2008): Increased risk for coeliac disease in paediatric patients with migraine. Cephalalgia.; 28:945?949.
- B?rk K, Farecki ML, Lamprecht G, Roth G, Decker P, Weller M, Rammensee HG, Oertel W (2009): Neurological symptoms in patients with biopsy proven celiac disease. Mov Disord.; 24:2358?2362.
- Bo?ena J, Katić, Wendy Golden, Roger K. Cady X. Henry Hu (2009): GERD prevalence in migraine patients and the implication for acute migraine treatment. The Journal of Headache and Pain February.; 10:(1), 35?43.
- Lionetti E, Francavilla R, Maiuri L, Ruggieri M, Spina M, Pavone P, Francavilla T, Magist? AM, Pavone L(2009): Headache in pediatric patients with celiac disease and its prevalence as a diagnostic clue. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr.; 49:202?207.
- Nilsson S, Edvinsson L, Malmberg B, Johansson B, Linde M (2010): A relationship between migraine and biliary tract disorders: findings in two Swedish samples of elderly twins. Acta Neurol Scand. ; 122:286?294.
- Faraji F, Zarinfar N, Zanjani AT, Morteza A(2012): The effect of Helicobacter pylori eradication on migraine: a randomized, double blind, controlled trial. Pain Physician.; 15:495?498.
- Benjilali L, Zahlane M, Essaadouni L(2012): A migraine as initial presentation of celiac disease. Rev Neurol (Paris); 168:454?456.
- Yu YH, Jo Y, Jung JY, Kim BK, Seok JW (2012):Gastric emptying in migraine: a comparison with functional dyspepsia. J Neurogastroenterol Motil.; 18:412?418.
- Yalcin H, Okuyucu EE, Ucar E, Duman T, Yilmazer S (2012): Changes in liquid emptying in migraine patients: diagnosed with liquid phase gastric emptying scintigraphy. Intern Med J.; 42:455?459.
- Kang JW, Shin YI(2013): The role of interleukin 10 in the associations between migraine and Helicobacter pylori infection. Pain Physician.; 16:E450.
- Chang FY, Lu CL (2013): Irritable bowel syndrome and migraine: bystanders or partners?. J Neurogastroenterol Motil.; 19:301?311.
- Park JW, Cho YS, Lee SY, Kim ES, Cho H, Shin HE, Suh GI, Choi MG 92013): Concomitant functional gastrointestinal symptoms influence psychological status in Korean migraine patients. Gut Liver.; 7:668?674.
- Savi L, Ribaldone DG, Fagoonee S, Pellicano R (2013) . Is Helicobacter pylori the infectious trigger for headache?: A review. Infect Disord Drug Targets.; 13:313?317.
- Aydinlar EI, Dikmen PY, Tiftikci A, Saruc M, Aksu M, Gunsoy HG, Tozun N(2013): IgG-based elimination diet in migraine plus irritable bowel syndrome. Headache.; 53:514?525.
- Aurora SK, Papapetropoulos S, Kori SH, Kedar A, Abell TL(2013): Gastric stasis in migraineurs: etiology, characteristics, and clinical and therapeutic implications. Cephalalgia.; 33:408?415.
- Lee KJ (2013): Gastric emptying in patients with functional dyspepsia and patients with migraine. J Neurogastroenterol Motil.; 19:116?117.
- Parkman HP (2013): Migraine and gastroparesis from a gastroenterologist?s perspective. Headache.; 53( 1):4?10.
- Dimitrova AK, Ungaro RC, Lebwohl B, Lewis SK, Tennyson CA, Green MW, Babyatsky MW, Green PH(2013): Prevalence of migraine in patients with celiac disease and inflammatory bowel disease. Headache.; 53: 344?355.
- Alvarez-Arellano L, Maldonado-Bernal C (2014): Helicobacter pylori and neurological diseases: Married by the laws of inflammation. World J Gastrointest Pathophysiol.; 5:400?404.
- Inaloo S, Dehghani SM, Hashemi SM, Heydari M, Heydari ST(2014): Comorbidity of headache and functional constipation in children: a cross-sectional survey. Turk J Gastroenterol.; 25:508?511.
- Lau CI, Lin CC, Chen WH, Wang HC, Kao CH (2014): Association between migraine and irritable bowel syndrome: a population-based retrospective cohort study. Eur J Neurol.; 21:1198?1204.
- Su J, Zhou XY, Zhang GX(2014): Association between Helicobacter pylori infection and migraine: a meta-analysis. World J Gastroenterol.; 20:14965?14972.11.
- Ansari B, Basiri K, Meamar R, Chitsaz A, Nematollahi S (2015): Association of Helicobacter pylori antibodies and severity of migraine attack. Iran J Neurol.; 14:125?129.
- Park MN, Choi MG, You SJ(2015): The relationship between primary headache and constipation in children and adolescents. Korean J Pediatr.;58:60?63.
- Hindiyeh N, Aurora SK (2015): What the Gut Can Teach Us About Migraine. Curr Pain Headache Rep.;19:33.
- Carlos R C?mara-Lemarroy, Rene Rodriguez-Gutierrez, Roberto Monreal-Robles, Alejandro Marfil-Rivera (2016): Gastrointestinal disorders associated with migraine: A comprehensive review. World J Gastroenterol.; 22(36): 8149?8160.
[Sphoorthi Basavannaiah M.S. (2017); CASE STUDY OF GASTRO-OESOPHAGEAL REFLUX DISEASE (GERD) V/ S MIGRAINE: DO THEY MINGLE OR IS IT A MYTH. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 5 (9). 1051-1061] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Assistant Professor, Department Of ENT, Subbaiah Institute Of Medical Sciences, NH-13, Purle, Holebenavalli Post, Shimoga-577222, Karnataka, India.
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/5423 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/5423
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.