ULTRASOUND MEASUREMENT OF ANTRAL FOLLICULAR COUNT AND OVARIAN VOLUME IN NORMAL (FERTILITY - PROVEN) AND INFERTILE SOUTH INDIAN WOMEN.
- M.d og, associate professor, thoothukudi medical college hospital.
- M.d, dgo, dnb, mba, associate professor, thoothukudi medical college hospital.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Infertility is a major distress to many couples in the world, causing increased numbers of them to approach medical care. Infertility or otherwise subfertility is the failure of a couple to conceive after 1 year of regular, unprotected intercourse. Ovulatory disorder is one of the most common reasons of female factor infertility accounting to 30% of all cases. Ovarian reserve denotes the capacity of the ovary to provide egg cells capable for fertilization. To asses the individual quantitative ovarian reserve various tests are available like Day3 FSH, AMH, Antral follicular count and ovarian volume measurement. Antral follicular count is referred as a number of oocytes and follicles in ovaries which is morphologically healthy. Anti mullerian hormone is produced by healthy ovarian follicles and serves as a marker of quantity of healthy follicles and oocytes in ovaries. Ovarian volume is assessed by ultrasound and helps in assessment of ovarian function. The aim of this study is to compare the ovarian reserve of fertility proven women with women presenting with subfertility using the tests like antral follicular count and ovarian volume measurement in a tertiary care teaching hospital in Thoothukudi,Tamil Nadu, South India.
- Aubuchon m, burney ro, schust dj, yao mw. Infertility and assisted reproductive technology. In: berek js, berek dl editors.
- Mosher wd, pratt wf. The demography of infertility in the united states. In: asch rh, stubb jw, eds. Annual progress in reproductive medicine.
- Cramer dw, walker am, schiff i. Statistical methods in evaluating the outcome of infertility therapy. Fertil steril 1979;32:80?86.
- Chandra a, mosher wd. The demography of infertility and the use of medical care for infertility. Infert reprod med clin north am 5:283?296.
- Office of technology assessment united states congress. Infertility: medical and Social choices.publication
- Abma jc, chandra a, mosher wd, et al. Fertility, family planning, and women\'s health: new data from the 1995 national survey of family growth. Vital health stat 23 1997:1?114.
- Wilcox ls, mosher wd. Use of infertility services in the united states. Obstet Gynecol 1993;82:122?127.
- Thonneau p, marchand s, tallec a, et al. Incidence and main causes of infertility in a resident population (1,850,000) of three french regions (1988?1989). Hum reprod 1991;6:811?816.
- Krawetz sa. Paternal contribution: new insights and future challenges. Nat rev Gen. 2005;6:633?642. 103
- Maseelall pb, hernandez‑rey ae, oh c, maagdenberg t, mcculloh dh, mcgovern pg. Antral follicle count is a significant predictor of livebirth in in vitro fertilization cycles. Fertil steril 2009.
- Almog b, shehata f, shalom‑paz e, tan sl, tulandi t. Age‑related normogram for antral follicle count: mcgill reference guide. Fertil steril 2010.
- Faddy mj, gosden rg, gougeon a, richardson sj, nelson jf. Accelerated disappearance of ovarian follicles in mid‑life: implications for forecasting menopause. Hum reprod 1992.
- Muttukrishna s, mcgarrigle h, wakim r, khadum i, ranieri dm, serhal p. Antral follicle count, anti‑mullerian hormone and inhibin b: predictors of ovarian response in assisted reproductive technology? Bjog 2005.
- Hsu a, arny m, knee ab, bell c, cook e, novak al, et al. Antral follicle count in clinical practice: analyzing clinical relevance. Fertil steril 2011.
- Haadsma ml, bukman a, groen h, roeloffzen em, groenewoud er, heineman mj, et al. The number of small antral follicles (2-6 mm) determines the outcome of endocrine ovarian reserve tests in a subfertile population. Hum reprod 2007.
- Elgindy ea, el‑haieg do, el‑sebaey a. Anti‑mullerian hormone: correlation of early follicular, ovulatory and midluteal levels with ovarian response and cycle outcome in intracytoplasmic sperm insemination
- World health statistics. World health organization 2013. Who library cataloguing‑in‑publication data. Geneva: who press; 2013
- Brunner, m., obruca, a., bauer, p and feichtinger, w. (1995) clinical application of volume estimation based on three dimensional ultrasonography. Ultrasound obstet. Gynecol.
[T. Gomathi and Mangalageetha. (2018); ULTRASOUND MEASUREMENT OF ANTRAL FOLLICULAR COUNT AND OVARIAN VOLUME IN NORMAL (FERTILITY - PROVEN) AND INFERTILE SOUTH INDIAN WOMEN. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 6 (3). 1-5] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Associate professor of obstetrics and gynecology, Thoothukudi medical college
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/6639 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/6639
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.