- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Introduction: Post-traumatic hematoma of the posterior fossa are rare and account for only 3% of all cerebral post-traumatic hematoma. They are common along the cerebellar convexity while retroclival location is rare with less than 30 cases reported in the literature. Most previously reported cases occurred in children, with only a small number of cases involving adult patients. Among these adult cases, only three had an associated fracture of the occipital condyle. Objectives:To report a rare case of epidural hematoma of retroclival seat in a young adult, review the pathophysiology and mechanisms of occurrence of these hematomas. Observation : We related the case of a young man of 25 years without disease history, with a following an AVP retroclival epidural hematoma associated with a fracture of the clivus extended to the right occipital condyle diagnosed on a brain CT conservatively treated. Conclusion:his type of hematoma is not exclusive to the pediatric population, and although there are few reported cases, it is possible that this entity is often under diagnosed and must involve the exploration of the CCO for eliminate ligament underlying instability.
- Tahir MZ, Quadri SA, Hanif S, Javed G. Traumatic retroclival epidural hematoma in pediatric patient: Case report and review of literature. Surg Neurol Int. 2011 Jun;2:78
- Bernardo Ratilal, MD, Pedro Castanho, MD, Carlos Vara Luiz, MD, Joa?o Oliveira Antunes, MD. Traumatic clivus epidural hematoma: case report and review of the literature. Surgical Neurology. 2006 ; 66: 200?202.
- Shane Tubbs R, Christoph PhD, Griessenauer J, Todd Hankinson MD. Retroclival Epidural Hematomas: A Clinical Series. Neurosurgery. 2010 ; 67:404-407.
- Nguyen H S, Shabani S, Lew S. Isolated traumatic retroclival hematoma: case report and review of literature. Childs Nerv Syst. 2016 ; 32: 1749-1755.
- Mizushima H, Kobayashi N, Sawabe Y. Epidural hematoma of the clivus. Case report. J Neurosurg 1998 ; 88:590 -3.
- Ratilal B, Castanho P, Vara Luiz C, Antunes JO. Traumatic clivus epidural hematoma: case report and review of the literature. Surg Neurol. 2006 ; 66(2):200-202.
- Yang BP. Traumatic retroclival epidural hematoma in a child. Pediatr Neurosurg. 2003;39(6):339-340.
- Paterakis KN, Karantanas AH, Hadjigeorgiou GM, Anagnostopoulos V, Karavelis A Clin. Retroclival epidural hematoma secondary to a longitudinal clivus fracture. Neurol Neurosurg 2005 ; 108:67?72.
- Kwon TH, Joy H, Park YK, Chung HS. Traumatic retroclival epidural hematoma in a child: case report. Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo) 2008 ; 48:347?350.
[M Benzalim, L berghalout, S alj, M Ouali Idrissi and N Idrissi Gannouni. (2019); POST TRAUMATIC RETROCLIVAL EPIDURAL HEMATOMA IN A YOUNG ADULT. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 7 (7). 4-7] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Service de radiologie CHU Mohammed VI, Marrakech Université CADI AYYAD
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/9318 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/9318
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.