- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Escherichia coli is a fecal-coliformic bacteria that usually uses as bio-indicator in water quality based on biological parameter. Water source which contaminated with E. coli indicates the contamination of human or mammals feces. This study was aimed to analyze the quality of drinking water stations distributed in Pasuruan Regency. The water samples were collected from the drinking water stations of 24 districts in Pasuruan. The biological parameter of water samples were assayed to detect the coliformic bacteria. Water quality was determined as poor and good quality according to drinking water standard in Indonesia. As a result, most of the drinking water stations from 24 districts in Pasuruan Regency had poor water quality. This happened due to the open defecation behaviour of the social community and lack of sanitation. However, the contamination of coliformic bacteria including E. coli can be reduced by socialization to decrease open defecation behaviour including other behaviour which may decrease the hygiene of environment as well as the drinking water stations. Further, strategy development to get healthy environment is needed.
- Elsas, Jan Dirk van, Alexander V Semenov, Rodrigo Costa, and Jack T Trevors. 2011. The International Society for Microbial Ecology Journal. 5. 173?183.
- Odonkor, Stephen T., Joseph K Ampofo. 2013. Escherichia coli as an indicator of bacteriological quality of water: an overview. Microbiology Research. 4. 2: 5-11.
- UNICEF INDONESIA. 2010. Air Bersih, Sanitasi, dan Kebersihan. p.1-6.
- 2018. Sanitation. http://www.who.int/topics/sanitation/en/ . Diakses pada 26 November 2018 pukul 10.17 WIB.
- Luo, Chengwei, Seth T Walk, David M Gordon, Michael Feldgarden, James M Tiedje and Konstantinos T. Konstantinidis. 2011. Genome sequencing of environmental Escherichia coli expands understanding of the ecology and speciation of the model bacterial species. PNAS. 108. 17:7200-7205.
- Widmer, Kenneth, Nguyen Thi Van Ha, Soydoa Vinitnantharat, Suthipong Sthiannopkao, Setiawan Wangsaatmaja, Maria Angela Novi Prasetiati, Nguyen Cong Thanh, Kasame Thepnoo, Arief Dhany Sutadian, Huynh Thi Thanh Thao, Deby Fapyane, Vibol San, Pierangeli Vital and Hor-Gil Hur. 2013. Prevalence of Escherichia coli in surface waters of Southeast Asian cities. World Journal Microbiology Biotechnology. Springer
- Jagals, P. T. G. Barnard, M. M. Mokoena, N. Ashbolt and D. J. Roser. 2013. Pathogenic Escherichia coli in rural household container waters. Water Science and Technology. 67. 6:1230-1237.
- Rao, Gouthami Gabriel Trueba, Joseph N. S. Eisenberg, David G. Kleinbaum, William Cevallos and Karen Levy. 2015. Spatial Variability of Escherichia coli in Rivers of Northern Coastal Ecuador. Water. 7. 818-832.
- Peraturan menteri kesehatan republik Indonesia.Permenkes No. 32 Tahun 2017.
- Guber, Andrey K, Jessica Fry, Rebecca L. Ives and Joan B. Rose. 2015. Escherichia coli Survival in, and Release from, White-Tailed Deer Feces. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 81:1168 ?1176.
- Yoboue, K.P, J.K Coulibaly,B.R Danielle Aboua, S. Berte, N.I Ouattara, M. Dosso, E.P Kouamelan. 2018. Microbiological Quality of Effluents From A Fishing Station Installed At The Edge of The Lagoon Ebrie (C?te d\\\\\\\'Ivoire). Journal of Environmental Science, Toxicology and Food Technology. 12. 4.
- Kabiru, Lawan Mohammed, Mohammed Bello, Junaid Kabir, Laura Grande and Stefano Morabito. Detection of Pathogenic Escherichia coli in Samples Collected at an Abattoir in Zaria, Nigeria and at Different Points in the Surrounding Environment. International Journal Environmental Research Public Health. 12. 679-691.
- Adebayo, F.O., Obiekezie, S.O. 2018. Microorganisms in Waste Management. Research Journal of Science and Technology. 10, 01.
- Kafle, G. Nanda, Amy A. Christie1, S?bastien Vilain, Volker S. Br?zel. 2018. Growth and Extended Survival of Escherichia coli O157:H7 in Soil Organic Matter. Frontiers in Microbiology, 9.
- Jang, Jeonghwan Hor-Gil Hur, Michael J. Sadowsky, Muruleedhara N. Byappanahalli, Tao Yan, Satoshi Ishii. 2017. Environmental Escherichia coli: Ecology and Public Health Implications - A Review.
- Abera, Bayeh, Mulugeta Kibret, Goraw Goshu and Mulat Yimer. 2014. Bacterial quality of drinking water sources and antimicrobial resistance proﬁle of Enterobacteriaceae in Bahir Dar city, Ethiopia. Journal of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene for Development. 4. 3:384-390
- Sachdev, R., D. Chandra Badhani, S.Pal, N.Sharma. 2018. Study of Differences & Pathogenicity of Microbial Flora In Various Area at The Bank of Alakanda The Headstream of River Ganga in Srinagar Garhwal, Uttarakhand During Summer Month. International Journal of Scientific Research. 7. 2277-8179.
- Villacampa, Y., I. Lopez, L. Aragones, C.Garcia, M. Lopez, A. Palazon. 2017. Water Quality of the Beach in an Urban and Not Urban Environment. International Journal of Sustainable Development and Planning. 12. 4: 713?723.
- Bok, Ewa, Justyna Mazurek , Andrzej Myc, Michał Stosik , MagdalenaWojciech, Katarzyna Baldy-Chudzik. 2018. Comparison of Commensal Escherichia coli Isolates from Adults and Young Children in Lubuskie Province, Poland: Virulence Potential, Phylogeny and Antimicrobial Resistance. International Journal Of Environmental Research and Public Health. 15. 617.
- Surya, A V , Archna Vyas, Madhu Krishna , Naseem Abidi. 2017. Identifying Determinants of Toilet Usage by Poor in Urban India. Procedia Computer Science. 122. 634?641.
- Lawrence, S.J., 2012, Escherichia coli bacteria density in relation to turbidity, streamflow characteristics, and season in the Chattahoochee River near Atlanta, Georgia, October 2000 through September 2008?Description, statistical analysis, and predictive modeling: U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2012?5037, 81
- Sun, Haohao Xiwei He, Lin Ye, Xu-Xiang Zhang, Bing Wu, and Hongqiang Ren. 2016. Diversity, abundance, and possible sources of fecal bacteria in the Yangtze River. Applied Microbiology Biotechnology. Springer. 1-10.
- Fairweather, Peter G., Lisa M. Dann, Renee J. Smith, Thomas C. Jeffries, Jody C. McKerral, Rod L. Oliver and James G. Mitchell. 2016. Persistence, loss and appearance of bacteria upstream and downstream of a river system Marine and Freshwater Research. CSIRO Publishing. 1-12.
- Bussi, Gianbattista, Paul G. Whitehead, Amy R.C. Thomas, Dario Masante , Laurence Jones, B. Jack Cosby, Bridget A. Emmett, Shelagh K. Malham, Christel Prudhomme and Havard Prosser. 2017. Climate and land-use change impact on faecal indicator bacteria in a temperate maritime catchment (the River Conwy, Wales). Journal of Hydrology.
- Vannavong, N., H. J. Overgaard, T. Chareonviriyaphap, N. Dada, R. Rangsin, A. Sibounhom, T. A. Stenstr?m and R. Seidu. 2017. Assessing factors of E. coli contamination of household drinking water in suburban and rural Laos and Thailand. Water Science & Technology: Water Supply. 1-16.
- Wolf, Jennyfer, Paul R. Hunter, Matthew C. Freeman, Oliver Cumming, Thomas Clasen, Jamie Bartram, Julian P. T. Higgins, Richard Johnston, Kate Medlicott, Sophie Boisson, Annette Pr?ss-Ust?n. 2018. Impact of Drinking Water, Sanitation and Hand Washing with Soap on Childhood Diarrhoeal Disease : Updated Meta ? Analysis and ? Regression. Tropical Medicine & International Health.
- Nawas T, R. M. Mazumdar, S. Das, M. N. Nipa, S. Islam, H. R. Bhuiyan and I. Ahmad. 2012. Microbiological Quality and Antibiogram of E. coli, Salmonella and Vibrio of Salad and Water from Restaurants of Chittagong. J. Environ. Sci. & Natural Resources. 5. 1: 159 ? 166.
- Chekabab, Samuel Mohammed, Judith Paquin-Veillette, Charles M. Dozois & Josee Harel. 2013. The ecological habitat and transmission of Escherichia coli O157:H7. Federation of European Microbiological Societies Microbiology Letters. 341. 1?12.
- Albarri, Osman, Işıl Var, Melda Meral,Başak bedir, Behzad Heshmati ,FatihK?ksal. 2017. Prevalence of Escherichia coli isolated from meat, chicken and vegetable samples in Turkey. Journal of Biotechnology Science Research. 4. 3:214-2022.
- Oranusi , S.,Effiong, E. D.,Duru, N. U. 2018. Comparative Study of Microbial, Proximate, and Heavy Metal Compositions of Some Gstropods, Bivalve, and Crustacean Foods. African Journal of Clinical and Experimental Microbiology. 14. 4.
- Ragupathi, N. K. Devanga, D. P. Muthuirulandi Sethuvel, F. Y. Inbanathan, B. Veeraraghavan. 2017. Accurate differentiation of Escherichia coli and Shigella serogroups: challenges and strategies. New Microbe and New Infect Elsevier. 21: 58?62.
- Adhikari, Achyut, Andy Bary, Craig Cogger, Caleb James, Gulhan Unlu, and Karen Killinger. 2016. Thermal and Starvation Stress Response of Escherichia coli O157:H7 Isolates Selected from Agricultural Environments. Journal of Food Protection. 79. 10:1673?1679
- Djaouda, Moussa, Bouba Gak?, Daniel Ebang Menye, Serge Hubert Z?baz? Togouet and Moise Nola. 2013. Survival and Growth of Vibrio cholerae, Escherichia coli, and Salmonella Spp. in Well Water Used for Drinking Purposes in Garoua (North Cameroon). Hindawi Publishing Corporation International Journal of Bacteriology. 2013. 127179.
- Taj, Muhammad Kamran, Zohra Samreen, Ji Xiu Ling, Imran Taj,Taj Muhammad Hassani and Wei Yunlin. 2014. Escherichia coli as a model organism. International Journal of Engineering Research and Science & Technology. 3. 2: 1-11.
- Singh, Ashish Kumar, Saurav Das, Samer Singh, Varsha Rani Gajamer, Nilu Pradhan, Yangchen Doma Lepcha,Hare Krishna Tiwari. 2018. Prevalence of Antibiotic Resistance in Commensal Escherichia Coli among the Children in Rural Hill Communities of North East India. BioRxiv.
- Cools, Piet, 2017. The role of Escherichia coli in reproductive health: state of the art. Research in Microbiology xx Elsevier. 1-10.
- Myint, Su Latt Tun, Thazar Myint, Wah Wah Aung and Khin Thet Wai. 2015. Prevalence of household drinkingwater contamination and of acute diarrhoeal illness in a periurban community in Myanmar. WHO South-East Asia Journal of Public Health. 4. 1-7.
- Gin?-Garriga, R., ?scar Flores-Baquero, Alejandro Jim?nez-Fdez. de Palencia,Agust? P?rez-Foguet. 2016. Monitoring Sanitation and Hygiene in The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development: A Review Through the Lens of Human Rights. Science of The Total Environment. 580. 1108?1119.
- Wijaya, I Made Wahyu Eddy Setiadi Soedjono. 2018. Domestic Wastewater in Indonesia : Challenge in The Future Related To Nitrogen Content. International Journal of GEOMATE. 15, 47.
- Petrik, Leslie Lesley Green, Adeola P. Abegunde, Melissa Zackon, Cecilia Y. Sanusi and Jo Barnes. 2017. Desalination and seawater quality at Green Point,Cape Town: A study on the effects of marine sewage outfalls. South African Journal of Science. 113. 11/12: 1-10.
- Chubaka, Chirhakarhula E., Kirstin E. Ross, Johm W. Edwards. 2017. Rainwater for drinking water: A study of household attitudes. WIT Transactions on Ecology and The Environment. 216.
- Lewis E., and T. Claasenb. 2018. Monitoring Groundwater Quality in a Namibian Rural Settlement. Water Practice & Technology. 13.2.
- Abhilash, N., and B. Harika. 2018. Purification and Disinfection of Water by Solar Energy. International Journal of Current Engineering and Scientific Research (IJCESR). 5. 5.
- L?pez, Monserrat V?zquez, Leonel Ernesto Amabilis Sosa, Gabriela Eleonora Moeller Ch?vez, Adriana Ro? Sosa, Patricio Neumann & Gladys Vidal .2018. Evaluation of the ultrasound effect on treated municipal wastewater. Environmental Technology.
- Bowman, Nichole, Drashti Patel,Alysia Sanchez,Wentao XU, Ali Alsaffar ,Sonia M. Tiquia-Arashiro. 2018. Lead-resistant bacteria from Saint Clair River sediments and Pb removal in aqueous solutions. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology. 102:2391?2398.
- Beltran, Marcela Soto, Maribel Jimenez Edeza, Celina Viera, Celida I. Martinez ,Cristobal Chaidez .2012. Sanitizing alternatives for Escherichia coli and Salmonella typhimurium on Bell Peppers at Household Kitchens, International Journal of Environmental Health Research,1-11.
- Antonelli, M., A. Turolla, V. Mezzanotte and C. Nurizzo. 2013. Peracetic Acid for Secondary Effluent Disinfection: A Comprehensive Performance Assessment. Water Science & Technology. 68.12.
- Sunil J. 2013. Purification of Contaminated Water with Reverse Osmosis: Effective Solution of Providing Clean Water for Human Needs in Developing Countries. International Journal of Emerging Technology and Advanced Engineering. 3. 12.
- Soo-Hwan, Kim, Hyeong-Seon Lee, Deok-Seon Ryu, Soo-Jae Choi, Dong-Seok Lee. 2011. Antibacterial Activity of Silver-nanoparticles Against Staphylococcus aureus and Escherichia coli. Korean Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology. 39. 1: 77?85.
- Fuller, James A., Joseph N. S. Eisenberg. 2016. Herd Protection from Drinking Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene Interventions. The American journal of tropical medicine and hygiene.
- Abalo, Emmanuel Mawuli, Seth Agyemang, Samuel Atio, Derrick Ofosu-Bosompem, Prince Peprah,Rita Ampomah-Sarpong. 2017. Environmental sanitation unleashed: Effectiveness and challenges of the National Sanitation Day as a community sanitation participatory approach in Aboabo, Ghana. Cogent Environmental Science. 3: 1405888.
[Wiwik Winarningsih, Z.Fanani, Endah Setyowati and Jack Rubijoso. (2019); REDUCING ESCHERICHIA COLI CONTAMINATION ON DRINGKING WATER STATIONS IN PASURUAN, EAST JAVA, INDONESIA. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 7 (7). 19-27] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Postgraduate Student of Environmental Science, Brawijaya University
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/9320 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/9320
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.