MOBILIZING A MOBILE SURGICAL TEAM AT THE DISTRICT LEVEL, A COST EFFECTIVE STRATEGY FOR CATARACT SURGERY IN MALISOCIAL REHABILITATION, VISUAL FUNCTIONNING AND QUALITY OF LIFE OUTCOMES.
- Institute of African Tropical Ophthalmology, BP 248, Bamako, Mali.
- Universit? Bordeaux 2 (EA 3677 et Centre Ren? Labusqui?re) Bordeaux, France.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Objectives:-To compare, in the region of Mopti region (Mali), the impact of a cataract surgery practised in a regional hospital (strategy 1 or fixed strategy) with a surgery close to the patients at the district level (strategy 2 or advanced strategy) on patient reported quality of life and visual functioning as well as on social rehabilitation. Methods:-Two samples of 100 and 199 people operated on for cataract in the fixed and advanced strategies respectively, were included in this study and were submitted at questioned on perceived vision and quality of life (IOTAQOL). Results:-Social conditions improved dramatically in both strategies, Most of men were able again to sustain their families (86,0% and 93,9% in strategies 1 and 2 respectively) and women to participate in housekeeping (87,8% and 88,2% respectively). The gains in QOL scores were high and equivalent in both strategies. These scores were strongly linked with the presence of an intraocular lens, with the ability to work and to fulfil his/her family duty. The gains in Perceived vision scores were equals in both strategies and strongly linked with postoperative visual acuity and with the presence of an intraocular lens. Conclusion:-Cataract surgery allows a dramatic socioeconomic reinsertion and a quality of life improvement whatever the strategy adopted.
- Wang W, Yan W, M?ller A, He M. A Global View on Output and Outcomes of Cataract Surgery With National Indices of Socioeconomic Development.Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017,1;58(9):3669-3676
- Leplege A, Sch?mann JF, Diakit? B, Tour? O, Ecosse E, Jaffr? Y. A new condition specific quality of life measure for the blind and the partially sighted in sub-Saharan Africa, the IOTAQOL: methodological aspects of the development procedure. Quality of Life Research. 2007,15, 1373-1382
- Steinberg EP, Tielsh JM, Schein OD, et al. The VF-14. An index of functional impairment in patients with cataract. Arch Ophthalmol. 1994,112, 630-8.
- Prager T, Chuang A, Slater C, Glasser J, Ruiz R and The Cataract Outcome Study Group. The Houston Vision Assessment Test (HVAT): Reliability and validity. Ophthalmic Epidemiology .2000,7, 87-102..
- Ellwein LB, Fletcher A, Negrel AD & Thulasiraj RD.Quality of life assessment in blindness interventions. International Ophthalmology, 1995,18,?263-268
- Sch?mann JF, Leplege A, Keita T, Resnikoff S.From visual function deficiency to handicap: measuring visual handicap in Mali. Ophthalmic Epidemiol.2002, 9, 133-48.
- Singh A, Garner P, Floyd K.Cost-effectiveness of public-funded options for cataract surgery Mysore, India. The Lancet.2000, 355: 180-4.
- Fassin D.Handicaps physiques, pratiques ?conomiques et strat?gies matrimoniales au S?n?gal. Social Science and Medicine , 1991,33, 267-272.
- Jaffr? Y & Moumouni A.??Etre aveugle?? La C?cit?, entre une d?finition ?pid?miologique et sociale.Bull Soc Path Ex .1993,86:295-299.
[Seydou Bakayoko, Moro Sidibe, Nouhoum Guirou, Rodrigue R.Elien.G.Y, Amassagou Dougnon, Mamadou Togo, Abdoulaye N.Coulibaly, Ali Konikpo, Nouhoum Toure, Mahamat A.Dicko, Jean Francois Schemann. (2019); MOBILIZING A MOBILE SURGICAL TEAM AT THE DISTRICT LEVEL, A COST EFFECTIVE STRATEGY FOR CATARACT SURGERY IN MALISOCIAL REHABILITATION, VISUAL FUNCTIONNING AND QUALITY OF LIFE OUTCOMES. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 7 (7). 117-123] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/9333 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/9333
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.