STUDY OF FACTORS LIKE SMOKING AND ITS ASSOCIATION WITH INFLAMMATION AND CARDIOVASCULAR RISKS IN PRE-DIABETIC AND DIABETIC PATIENTS.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Background:Cigarette consumption increases both the risk of diabetes and diabetic vascular complications. It is associated with dyslipidemia, insulin resistance and inflammation; however the exact mechanisms are still to be elucidated. In this study we aimed to compare the levels of inflammatory markers and assess the cardiovascular risks in terms of CRR, AI, AC and AIP among the patients with pre-diabetes and diabetes. Method:This study included 100 control subjects, 145 pre-diabetic and 126 diabetic patients. The patients were further categorised into non smoker (44 pre-diabetes and 40 diabetes) and smoker (101 pre-diabetes and 86diabetes) groups. Inflammatory biomarkers likefibrinogen, CRP, IL-6, adiponectin and uric acid were assayed with standard kit methods. Result:We observed high levels of fibrinogen, CRP, IL-6 and uric acid, and low level of adiponectin in pre-diabetic and diabetic smoker group compared to their non smoker counterparts but the level of statistical significance was achieved in case of adiponectin only. Pre-diabetic smokers also demonstrated significantly high fibrinogen compared to pre-diabetic non smokers. We also found high cardiovascular risk in pre-diabetic and diabetic individuals irrespective of smoking status. Further we documented significant association of inflammatory markers with cardiac risk indices especially in case of diabetic patients and the association was more profound in the patients who smoked. Conclusion:Thus from this study it is evident that both pre-diabetic and diabetic individuals are highly susceptible to CVD risks induced by smoking. Diabetic individuals are further at a great threat compared to pre-diabetic individuals. So quiting of smoking can reverse the unwanted health outcomes of diabetes.
- Naudi A, Jove M, Ayala V, Cassanye A, Serrano J, Gonzalo H etal. Cellular dysfunction in diabetes as maladaptive response to mitochondrial oxidative stress. Exp Diabetes Res 2012; 2012:696215 (1-14).
- Holloway AC, Lim GE, Petrik JJ, Foster WG, Morrison KM, Gerstein HC. Fetal and neonatal exposure to nicotine in Wistar rats results in increased beta cell apoptosis at birth and postnatal endocrine and metabolic changes associated with type 2 diabetes. Diabetologia 2005; 48(12): 2661-6.
- Axelsson T, Jansson PA, Smith U, Eliasson B. Nicotine infusion acutely impairs insulin sensitivity in type 2 diabetic patients but not in healthy subjects. J Intern Med 2001; 249(6): 539-44.
- Xi-tao XIE, Qiang LIU, Jie WU, Makoto WAKUI. Impact of cigarette smoking in type 2 diabetes development. Acta Pharmacol Sin, 2009; 30 (6): 784-7.
- Willi C, Bodenmann P, Ghali WA, Faris PD, Cornuz J. Active smoking and the risk of type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA 2007; 298(22): 2654-64.
- Nimmanapalli HD. Lipid ratios, atherogenic coefficient and atherogenic index of plasma as parameters in assessing cardiovascular risk in type 2 diabetes mellitus. Int J Res Med Sci 2016; 4(7): 2863-2.
- Bhardwaj S, Bhattacharjee J, Bhatnagar MK, Tyagi S. Atherogenic index of plasma, Castelli risk index and atherogenic coefficient?New parameters in assessing cardiovascular risk. Int J Pharm Bio Sci 2013; 3(3): 359-64
- Cho NH, Chan JC, Jang HC, Lim S, Kim HL, Choi SH. Ciga?rette smoking is an independent risk factor for type 2 diabetes: a four-year community-based prospective study. Clin Endo?crinol (Oxf) 2009;71(5):679-85.
- Jee SH, Foong AW, Hur NW, Samet JM. Smoking and risk for diabetes incidence and mortality in Korean men and women. Diabetes Care2010;33(12):2567-72.
- Rimm EB, Chan J, Stampfer MJ, Colditz GA, Willett WC. Pro?spective study of cigarette smoking, alcohol use, and the risk of diabetes in men. BMJ 1995;310(6979):555-9.
- Wannamethee SG, Shaper AG, Perry IJ. British Regional Heart Study: Smoking as a modifiable risk factor for type 2 diabetes in middle-aged men. Diabetes Care 2001; 24(9):1590-5.
- Hilawe EH, Yatsuya H, Li Y, Uemura M, Wang C, Chiang C et al. Smoking and diabetes: is the association mediated by adiponectin, leptin, or C-reactive protein? J Epidemiol 2015; 25(2): 99-109.
- Bhattacharjee A, Prasad SK, Pal S, Maji B, Syamal AK, Mukherjee S. Synergistic protective effect of folic acid and vitamin B 12 against nicotine-induced oxidative stress and apoptosis in pancreatic islets of the rat. Pharm Biol 2016; 54(3): 433-44.
- Berlin I. Smoking-induced metabolic disorders: a review. Diabetes Metab 2008; 34(4):307-14.
- Thamer C, Stefan N, Stumvoll M, Haring H, Fritsche A. Reduced adiponectin serum levels in smokers. Atherosclerosis 2005;179(2):421-
- Kotani K, Hazama A, Hagimoto A, Saika K, Shigeta M, Katanoda K et al. Adiponectin and smoking status: a systematic review. J Atheroscler Thromb 2012;19(9):787-
- Levitzky YS, Guo CY, Rong J, Larson MG, Walter RE, Keaney JF Jr et al. Relation of smoking status to a panel of inflammatory markers: the Framingham offspring. Atherosclerosis 2008;201(1):217-
- Hastie CE, Haw S, Pell JP. Impact of smoking cessation and lifetime exposure on C-reactive protein. Nicotine Tob Res 2008;10(4):637-
- Efstathiou SP, Skeva II, Dimas C, Panagiotou A, Parisi K, Tzanoumis L et al. Smoking cessation increases serum adiponectin levels in an apparently healthy Greek population. Atherosclerosis 2009;205(2):632-
- Iwashima Y, Katsuya T, Ishikawa K, Kida I, Ohishi M, Horio T et al. Association of hypoadiponectinemia with smoking habit in men. Hypertension 2005;45(6):1094-
- Yamauchi T, Kamon J, Minokoshi Y, Ito Y, Waki H, Uchida S, et al. Adiponectin stimulates glucose utilization and fatty-acid oxidation by activating AMP-activated protein kinase. Nat Med 2002;8(11):1288-
- Morrish NJ, Stevens LK, Fuller JH, Jarrett RJ, Keen H. Risk fac?tors for macrovascular disease in diabetes mellitus: the London follow-up to the WHO Multinational Study of Vascular Disease in Diabetics. Diabetologia1991;34(8):590-4.
- Turner RC, Millns H, Neil HA, Stratton IM, Manley SE, Mat?thews DR, Holman RR. Risk factors for coronary artery disease in non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus: United Kingdom Prospective Diabetes Study (UKPDS: 23). BMJ 1998;316(7134):823-8.
- Al-Delaimy WK, Manson JE, Solomon CG, Kawachi I, Stamp?fer MJ, Willett WC, Hu FB. Smoking and risk of coronary heart disease among women with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Arch In?tern Med 2002;162(3):273-9.
- Kengne AP, Nakamura K, Barzi F, Lam TH, Huxley R, Gu D, Patel A, Kim HC, Woodward M. Asia Pacific Cohort Study Collaboration: Smoking, diabetes and cardiovascular diseases in men in the Asia Pacific region. J Diabetes 2009;1(3):173-81.
[Varsha Chowdhry. (2019); STUDY OF FACTORS LIKE SMOKING AND ITS ASSOCIATION WITH INFLAMMATION AND CARDIOVASCULAR RISKS IN PRE-DIABETIC AND DIABETIC PATIENTS. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 7 (8). 22-29] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
JLN MEDICAL COLLEGE AND HOSPITAL
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/9468 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/9468
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.