- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
There is a vulnerability with correction in maize production if happened water stress due to fluctuations in water balance and climate dynamics in Gorontalo Province. This study aims to determine the vulnerability of maize productivity based on fluctuations in water balance and climate dynamics in Gorontalo Province. The study was conducted from May to October 2017. The study sites are located between 0019' - 10 15' North Latitude and 1210 23 '- 1230 43' East Longitude. 4 locations that represent the regency of Gorontalo (Bumela), Kab Boalemo (Dulupi), Bone Bolango (Suwawa) and Kab Pohuwato (Marisa). The data used in this study is daily climate data for 20 years (1997 to 2016) involved rainfall, solar radiation, maximum and minimum air temperature, duration of transmission, humidity and wind speed. Data on planting area, harvested area (production) and corn harvest failure in Gorontalo Province in the last 20 years. Supporting data is the administrative map of Gorontalo Province, map of agro climate zone. This research uses the method of analysis of land water balance model where evapotranspiration method analysis using the FAO Penman-Monteith method. Generally, Gorontalo Province has the first deficit month period in July, August, September, October where during this period there is a potential vulnerability of maize production due to water shortage. The period of the first month of the surplus in November, December, January where during this period there is potential for corn production resistance due to water availability. The second deficit period is February, March was during this period potentially less vulnerable due to short deficit period compared to the period of the first deficit month. The second surplus period is April, May, June where this period is potentially less resistant because the number and duration of rainfall are relatively less than the first surplus period. The susceptibility and resistance of maize production are influenced by the amount of supply and duration (duration of the period) of regional rainfall and the application of adaptation technology to drought and flood disasters.
- Allen G. R., L. S. Pereira., D. Raes., M. Smith. 1998. Crop Evapotranspirations (Guidelines for Computing Crop Water Requirements). FAO Irrigation and Drainage Paper
- Cai Jiabing., Yu Liu, Tingwu Lei, Luis Santos Pereira. 2007. Estimating reference evapotranspiration with the FAO Penman-Monteith equation using daily weather forecast messages. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology J.145. 22 ? 35. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/222165945_Estimating_reference_evapotranspiration_with_the_FAO_Penman-Monteith_equation_using_daily_weather_forecast_messages
- Doorenbos, J., Kassam, A.H., 1979. Yield response to water. FAO Irrigation and Drainage Paper, No. 33, FAO, Rome, Italy.
- Farre, I., J. M. Faci. 2009. Deficit Irrigation In Maize for Reducing Agricultural Water Use In a Mediterranean Environment. Agricultural Water Management J. 96. 383 ? 394. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/23990936_Deficit_irrigation_in_maize_for_reducing_agricultural_water_use_in_a_Mediterranean_environment
- Garcia, Axel. Y. Garcia., Larry C. Guerra, Gerrit Hoogenboom. 2009. Water use and water use efficiency of sweet corn under different weather conditions and soil moisture regimes. Agricultural Water Management J. 96. 1369 ? 1376. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/222408853_Water_use_and_water_use_efficiency_of_sweet_corn_under_different_weather_conditions_and_soil_moisture_regimes
- Geerts, Sam., Dirk Raes. 2009. Deficit Irrigation as an on Farm Strategy to Maximize Crop Water Productivity in Dry Areas. Agricultural Water Management J. 96.1275 ? 1284. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/222526607_Deficit_irrigation_as_an_on-farm_strategy_to_maximise_crop_water_production_in_dry_areas
- Hakim, Luthful M. Model Pendugaan Banjir dan Kekeringan (Studi Kasus Di DAS Separi, Kutai Kertanegara Kalimantan Timur). Disertasi. Institut Pertanian Bogor. http://repository.ipb.ac.id/handle/123456789/40991
- Hassanli, Morad. Ali., Mohammed Ali. Ebrahimizadeh., Simon Beecham. 2009. The Effects of Irrigation Methods with Effluent and Irrigation Scheduling on Water Use Efficiency and Corn Yields In an Arid Region. Agricultural Water Management J. 96. 93 ? 99. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/23629651_The_effects_of_irrigation_methods_with_effluent_and_irrigation_scheduling_on_water_use_efficiency_and_corn_yields_in_an_and_region
- Igbadun, E. Henry., Andrew K.P.R. Tarimo., Baanda A. Salim., Henry F. Mahoo. 2007. Evaluation of Selected Crop Water Production Function for an Irrigated Maize Crop. Agricultural Water Management J. 94. 1 ? 10. http://www.academia.edu/2119045/Evaluation_of_selected_crop_water_production_functions_for_an_irrigated_maize_crop
- Katerji Nader., Gianfranco Rana. 2006. Modelling evapotranspiration of six irrigated crops under Mediterranean climate conditions. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology J. 138. 142 ? 155. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/222114802_Modelling_evapotranspiration_of_six_irrigated_crops_under_Mediterranean_climate_conditions
- Ko Jonghan., Giovanni Piccinni. 2009. Corn Yield Responses under Crop Evapotranspiration Based Irrigation Management. Agricultural Water Management J. 96. 799 ? 808. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378377408002849
- Payero, J. O., D. D. Tarkalson., S. Irmak., D. Davison., J. L. Peterson. 2009. Effect of Timing of a Deficit-Irrigation Allocation on Corn Evapotranspiration, Yield, Water Use Efficiency and Dry Mass. Agricultural Water Management J. 96. 1387 ? 1397. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/46488843_Effect_of_Timing_of_a_Deficit-Irrigation_Allocation_on_Corn_Evapotranspiration_Yield_Water_Use_Efficiency_and_Dry_Mass
- Pramudia A. 2008. Pewilayahan Hujan dan Model Prediksi Curah Hujan untuk Mendukung Analisis Ketersediaan dan Kerentanan Pangan di Sentra produksi Padi. Disertasi. Institut Pertanian Bogor. Bogor. http://repository.ipb.ac.id/handle/123456789/41261
- Ren, Xiaolong., Zhikuan Jia., Xiaoli Chen. 2008. Rainfall Concentration for Increasing Corn Production Under Semiarid Climate. Agricultural Water Management J. 95. 1293-1302. https://agwaterconservation.colostate.edu/library/rainfall-concentration-for-increasing-corn-production-under-semiarid-climate/
- Spano, D., D. L. Synder., C. Sirca., P. Duce. 2009. ECOWAT?A model for ecosystem evapotranspiration estimation. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology J. 149. 1584 ? 1596.
- Suyker E, Andrew., Shashi B Verma. 2009. Evapotranspiration of irrigated and rainfed maize?soybean cropping systems. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology J. 149. 443 ? 452. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/222523228_Evapotranspiration_of_Irrigated_and_Rainfed_Maize-Soybean_Cropping_Systems
- Tao, Fulu., Zhao Zhang. 2010. Adaptation of Maize Production to Climate Change in North China Plain : Quantify the Relative Contribution of Adaptation Options. Europ J. Agronomy. 33. 103 ? 116. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/228419627_Adaptation_of_maize_production_to_climate_change_in_North_China_Plain_Quantify_the_relative_contributions_of_adaptation_options.
[Wawan Pembengo, Yunita Rahim and Suyono Dude. (2019); THE VULNERABILITY OF MAIZE PRODUCTIVITY BASED ON WATER BALANCE AND CLIMATE DYNAMICS FLUCTUATIONS IN GORONTALO PROVINCE. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 7 (Sep). 60-68] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
UNIVERSITAS NEGERI GORONTALO
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/9630 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/9630
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.