EVALUATION OF SODIUM CHLORIDE STRESS TOLERANCE IN FINGER MILLET (ELEUSINE CORACANA L.) CULTIVARS BY OBSERVING MORPHOLOGICAL CHARACTERS.
- Professor, Department of Botany, Andhra University, Visakhapatnam.
- Research scholar, Department of Botany, Andhra University, Visakhapatnam.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Saline soils are unproductive. Plant growth and yield are highly effected by salinity. This may overcome by cultivating salt tolerant varieties. The aim of this study is to figure out, salt tolerant and salt sensitive cultivars of finger millet. Inthis study 12 cultivars of finger millet (EleusinecoracanaL.)seeds were grown at different NaCl concentrations. Germination percentage, root length, shoot length and dry weight of the seedlings were assessed using different concentrations of NaCl. Based on the growth parameters, VR-1076 was confirmed as salt tolerant cultivar and VR-988 was confirmed as salt susceptible cultivar.
- Akbar, M., and Yabuno, T. (1974): Breeding for saline ? resistant varieties of rice. II. Comparative performance of some rice varieties to salinity during early developmental stages. Jap. J. , 24:176-181.
- Anantaraju, P., (2001): Studies on genetic variability, association and diversity in finger millet (Eleusinecoracana (L.) Gaertn) for grain yield, yield attributes and salinity tolerance. M Sc (Ag) thesis, CPGB, TNAU, Coimbatore, India.
- Ashraf, M., Akram, N.A. (2009): Improving salinity tolerance of plants through conventional breeding and genetic engineering: an analytical comparison. Biotechnol Adv., 27: 744-752.
- Asraf, M., and McNeilly, T. (1987): Salinity effect on five cultivars/lines of pearl millet (Pennisetum and americanum (L.)Leeke). Plant and soil., 103: 13-19.
- Bashan, Y., de-Bashan, L.E. (2005): Bacteria/Plant growth promotion. ln: Hillel D (ed) Encyclopedia of soils in the environment, vol1. Elsevier Oxford, UK,pp., 103-115.
- Demir, M and Arif, I. (2003): Effects of different soil salinity levels on germination and seedling growth of safflower (Carthomastinctorius), Turk J. Agric., 27: 221-227.
- Flowers, T.J. and Colmer, T.D. (2008): Salinity tolerance in halophytes. New Phytol., 179: 945-963. Gucci, R. and Tattini, M. (1997): Salinity tolerance in olive. ln: Janik J. (Ed.), Horticultural reviews, John Wiley & sons, inc., USA., 21: 177-214.
- Hussain, M.K. and Rehman, O.U.(1997): Evaluation of sunflower (Helianthus annuus L. ) Germplasm for salt tolerance at the shoot stage. Helia., 20: 69-78.
- Jamil, M. and Rha, E.S. (2004): The effect of salinity (NaCl) on the germination and seedling of sugar beet (Beta vulgaris L.) and cabbage (Brassica oleraceacapitata L.). Korean J. Plant Res., 226-232.
- Joseph, B., Jini, D. and Sujatha, S. (2010): Biological and physiological perspectives of specificity in abiotic salt stress response from various rice plants. Asian J. Agric. Sci., 2: 99-105.
- Kaliappan, R., Ramachandran, M. and Rajagopal, B. (1967): Effect of salinity on the south Indian field crops: Germination and early vigour of ragi (Eleusinecoracana (L.) Gaertn). Madras Agricultural Journal., 54: 619-23.
- Khan, K., Agarwal, P., Shanware, A. and Sane, V.A. (2015): Heterologous expression of two Jatropha aquaporins imparts drought and salt tolerance and improves seed viability in transgenic Arabidopsis thaliana. PLS One 10(6): e0128866 doi : 101371/journal. Pone.0128866.
- Kozlowski, T.T. (1997): Response of woody plants to flooding and salinity. Tree physiology monograph no. 1. Victoria, Canada: Heron Publishing., pp. 1-29.
- Lee, K.S., Choi, Y.S. and Choi, Y.W. (1998): Varietal difference in salinity tolerance during germination stage of rice. Korean J. Crop Science., 43 (1): 11-14.
- Mahadevi, B. and Sanavy, S. A. (2007): Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences., 10(2): 273-279.
- Mahajan, S. And Tuteja, N. (2005): Cold, salinity and drought stress: an overview, Arch. Biophys., 444: 139-158.
- Onkware, A.O. (1993): The germination, growth and grain production of salt stressed finger millet (Eleusinecoracana (L.) Gaertn). Indian Journal of Plant Physiology., 36: 77-81.
- Panigarh, A.K., Misra, M.K. and Misra, B.N. (1978): Effect of sodium chloride stress on seed germination and seedling growth of local varieties of ragi (Eleusinecoracana (L.) Gaertn). Indian Journal of Ecology. 5: 98-101.
- Parida, A.K. and Das, A.B. (2005): Salt tolerance and salinity effects on plants. A review. Ecotoxicol Environ Safe., 60: 324-349. doi: 10.1016/j.ecoenv. 2004.06.010.
- Tekalign, M., Richter, C. and Heiligatag, B. (1996): Response of some varieties of durum wheat and tef to salt stress. J. African Crop Sci., 4(4): 423-432.
- Tester, M. and Davenport, R. (2003): Na+ transport in higher plants. Annals of Botany., 91:503-527.
- Versules, P.E., Agarwal, M., Katiyar-Agarwal ,S., Zhu, J. and Zhu, J.K. (2006): Methods and concepts in quantifying resistant to drought, salt and freezing abiotic stresses that affect plant water status. Plant J., 45:523-539.
- Werner, J.E. and Finkelstein, R.R. (1995): Arabidopsis mutants with reduced response to NaCl and osmotic stress, Physiol. Plant., 93: 659-666.
[B. Sujatha and A.H.D Pushpa Latha. (2019); EVALUATION OF SODIUM CHLORIDE STRESS TOLERANCE IN FINGER MILLET (ELEUSINE CORACANA L.) CULTIVARS BY OBSERVING MORPHOLOGICAL CHARACTERS. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 7 (9). 149-153] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Research scholar, Department of Botany, Andhra University, Visakhapatnam-533255
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/9642 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/9642
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.