- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Pelletisation of fish feed is necessary for growth rate measurement of the fish and wastages of the feed. The modern pelletizer is expensive and not portable, hence only large scale fish farmers who can afford it are using them, whereas, the small and medium fish farmers do not have the financial capacity to afford the machine. Hence the development of a portable, manually and mechanically operated pelletizer for the small and medium scale farmer. The machine was developed using available local materials. It has the hopper, the screw auger shaft, the barrel, the frame and the electric motor or drive lever as major components. The machine was developed and tested with 3 kg of fish feed mill using 2.2 kW electric motor of speed 2,900 rev/min. The feed was mixed with 200 cm3 water to slurry form to aid the extrusion and weighed to 3 kg before fed into the extrusion chamber of the machine. The screw auger kneaded the feed thoroughly and conveyed it to the discharge unit where it was forced through 8-holes die to form pellets. The efficiency of the machine was calculated to be 88.3% while the throughput was 30 kg/h. The machine is affordable at the cost of NGN 70, 000 and easy to maintain and operated
- Abubakre, O.K., Garba, A. B. and Hassan, T. (2014): Design and Fabrication of Model Feed Pelletizer.
- Applied Mechanics and Materials Vol. 533 (2014) pp 64-67.
- Adam, C. F. (2012): Evaluating Factors Affecting Pellet Durability and Energy Consumption in a Pilot Feed Mill and Comparing Methods for Evaluating Pellet ??????????? Ph. D Dissertation. Department of Grain Science and Industry, College of Agriculture, Kansas ????????? State University. Manhattan, Kansas
- Allen S. H., Alfred R.H., and Herman G. L. (2009): ?Machine Design?. Pdf. Ed.https://trove.nla.gov.au/work/3664147
- Deb, R. and Ahmed, A. B. (2013): Pellets and Pelletization Techniques: A Critical Review. International Research Journal of Pharmacy 4(4).
- Kabuage, L.W., Mbugua, P. N., Mitaru, B. N. and Ngatia, T. A. (2000): Effect of Steam Pelleting and Inclusion of Molasses in Amaranth Diets on Broiler Chicken???????? Performance, Carcass Composition and Histopathology of some Internal Organs,???????????? ??????? fao.org/DOCREP/ARTICLE/AGRIPPA/550_en.htm.
- Khurmi, R. S. and J. K. Gupta. (2004): A Textbook of Machine Design. New Delhi: Chand Publishing House (PVT.) Ltd.
- Olutayo, L.A., Mogaji, K.O., Fawohunre, A.J. and Akinfiresoye, W.A. (2014): Development of Beans Dehulling Machine. Journal of Environmental Science, Computer Science andEngineering & Technology. JECET; December 2016- February?????? 2017; Sec. C; Vol.6. No.1, 000-000.
- Orisaleye, J.I., Ojolo, S.J. and Fashina, A.B. (2009): Design and Development of a Livestock Feed Pelleting Machine. Journal of Engineering Research, Vol. 14, No. 1.
- Singh, S. (2003). Khanna?s Mechanical Engineers Handbook, 2nd edition, Khanna Publishers,Delhi.
[Fasoyin, S.A., Akinfiresoye, W.A., Ale M.O. and Abisuwa T. A (2019); DESIGN ANALYSIS OF DUALLY OPERATED FISH FEED PELLETIZER Int. J. of Adv. Res. 7 (11). 24-28] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
RUFUS GIWA POLYTECHNIC, OWO, NIGERIA
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/9970 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/9970
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.