USE OF NICKEL-TITANIUM ROTARY INSTRUMENTS AMONG DENTISTS IN CHENNAI.
- ll BDS, Department of Conservative Dentistry, Saveetha Dental College, Chennai ? 600 077.
- Senior Lecturer, Department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics, Saveetha Dental College ,Chennai ? 600 077.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Objective: To assess the use of nickel-titanium (NiTi) rotary instruments among dentists in Chennai using a structured questionnaire. Materials and Methods: A survey was conducted among dentists in Chennai using a structured questionnaire. The sample size comprised of 91 dental practitioners in Chennai. Results: A total of 91 dental practitioners took up the survey. As many as 77 (84.6%) of them use NiTi rotary instruments and 14 (15.4%) of them do not use NiTi rotary instruments in their clinical practice. 28 (30.8%) dentists believed it helped in better obturation. 42 (54.5%) of the dentists experienced file fracture as the major drawback. Half of the respondents believed that the long time required to learn the technique was the reason for not using NiTi rotary instruments. Conclusion: This survey showed the awareness of dentists about benefits of NiTi rotary instruments application comparing to traditional techniques and also the high percent usage of these instruments among dentists.
- Coleman CL, Svec TA. Analysis of Ni-Ti versus stainless steel instrumentation in resin simulated canals. J Endod. 1997;23(4):232-5.
- Nivesh Krishna R, Pradeep S. Recent diagnostic aids in endodontics : a review. IJPCR. 2016;8(8): 1159-1162.
- Teresa Rao, Prassana Neelakantan. Three dimensional imaging modalities in endodontics. Imaging Sci Dent. 2014 Sept ;44(3):177-183
- Neelakantan, C.Q. Cheng, R. Mohanraj, P. Sriraman, C. Subbarao, S. Sharma. Antibiofilm activity of three irrigation protocols activated by ultrasonic, diode laser or Er:YAG laser in vitro. IEJ. 2015;48;6:602-610.
- Mandel E, Adib-Yazdi M, Benhamou L, Lachkar T, Mesgouez C, Sobel M. Rotary Ni-Ti proile systems for preparing curved canals in resin blocks: inluence of operator on instrument breakage. Int Endod J. 1999;32(6):436-43.
- Umaiyal M. Pooja. Awareness about root canal treatment among people. RJPT. 2016;9;7:779-781.
- Parashos P, Messer HH. Questionnaire survey on the use of rotary nickel-titanium endodontic instruments by Australian dentists. Int Endod J 2004;37:249-59.
- Madarati AA, Watts DC, Qualtrough AJ. Opinions and attitudes of endodontists and general dental practitioners in the UK towards the intracanal fracture of endodontic instruments: part 1. Int Endod J 2008;41:693-701. Epub 2008 Jun 28.
- Madarati AA, Watts DC, Qualtrough AJ. Opinions and attitudes of endodontists and general dental practitioners in the UK towards the intracanal fracture of endodontic instruments. Part 2. Int Endod J 2008;41:1079-87.
- Koch M, Eriksson HG, Axelsson S, Tegelberg A. Effect of educational intervention on adoption of new endodontic technology by general dental practitioners: a questionnaire survey. Int Endod J 2009;42:313-21. Epub 2009 Feb 7.
- Guelzow A, Stamm O, Martus P, Kielbassa AM. Comparative study of six rotary nickel-titanium systems and hand instrumentation for root canal preparation. Int Endod J 2005;38:743-52.
- Di Fiore PM, Genov KA, Komaroff E, Li Y, Lin L. Nickel-titanium rotary instrument fracture: a clinical practice assessment. Int Endod J 2006;39:700-8.
- Barbakow F, Lutz F. The \'Lightspeed\' preparation technique evaluated by Swiss clinicians after attending continuing education courses. Int Endod J 1997;30:46-50.
- Bj?rndal L, Reit C. The adoption of new endodontic technology amongst Danish general dental practitioners. Int Endod J 2005;38:52-8.
[Sahil Choudhari and Chandana Subbarao. (2017); USE OF NICKEL-TITANIUM ROTARY INSTRUMENTS AMONG DENTISTS IN CHENNAI. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 5 (4). 1-5] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Department of Conservative Dentistry, Saveetha Dental College Chennai – 600 077
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/3774 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/3774
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.