SPECTROPHOTOMETRIC METHOD FOR DETERMINATION OF BIOETHANOL PRODUCTION AMOUNT
- Department of Bioengineering, Gebze Technical University, 41400, Kocaeli, Turkey.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
The continuous increase in global energy demand and need necessitates the availability of new energy sources. The expansion of production of bioethanol will reduce our dependence on petroleum and natural gas, and contribute to the decrease of environmental pollution by reducing emission of greenhouse gases. In the course of our studies for bioethanol production we needed a practical and inexpensive method for the extraction of ethanol from fermentation media and determination of the amount of bioethanol produced. We herein report a spectrophotometric method for bioethanol measurement which depends on the dichromate oxidation of the ethanol. Furthermore, we applied this method successfully to the determination of amount of bioethanol produced by fermentation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae cells.
- Arenson, D.R., Kertes, A.S., King, C.J. (1990): Extraction of ethanol from aqueous solution with phenolic extractants. Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 29:607-613.
- Egan B.Z., Lee, D.D., McWhirter, D.A. (1988): Solvent extraction and recovery of ethanol from aqueous solutions. Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 27:1330-1332.
- Koullas, D.P., Umealu, O.S., Koukios, E.G. (1999): Solvent selection for the extraction of ethanol from aqueous solutions. Separation Sci. Tech. 34:2153-2163.
- Malinowski, J.J., Dagulis, A.J. (1994): Salt effects in extraction of ethanol, 1-butanol and acetone from aqueous solutions.AIChE Journal., 40:1459-1465.
- Miah, R., Siddiqa, A., Tuli, J.F., Barman, N.K., Dey, S.K., Adnan, N., Yamada, M., Talukder, A. A. (2017): Inexpensive procedure for measurement of ethanol: Application to bioethanol production process. Adv. in Microbiol.,7:743-748.
- Munson, C.L., King, C.J. (1984): Factors influencing solvent selection for extration of ethanol from aqueous solutions. Eng. Chem. Process Des. Dev., 23:109-115.
- Seo, H.B., Kim, H.J., Lee, O.K., Ha, J.H., Lee, H.Y., Jung, K.H. (2009): Measurement of ethanol concentration using solvent extraction and dichromate oxidation and its application to bioethanol production process. J. Ind. Microbiol. , 36:285-292.
- Offeman, R.D., Stephenson, S.K., Robertson, G.H., Orts, W.J. (2005): Solvent extraction of ethanol from aqueous solutions I. Screening methodology for solvents . Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 44:6789?6796.
- Offeman, R.D., Stephenson, S.K., Robertson, G.H., Orts, W.J. (2006): Solvent extraction of ethanol from aqueous solutions using biobased oils, alcohols, and esters. J. Am. Oil. Chem. Soc., 83:153-157.
- Solimo, H.N., Martinez, H.E., Riggio, R. (1989): Liquid-liquid extraction of ethanol from aqueous solutions with amyl acetate, benzyl alcohol, and methyl isobutyl ketone at 298.15 K. J. Chem. Eng. Data., 34:176-179.
[Bengu Erguden. (2018); SPECTROPHOTOMETRIC METHOD FOR DETERMINATION OF BIOETHANOL PRODUCTION AMOUNT Int. J. of Adv. Res. 6 (11). 239-242] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Gebze Technical University
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/7992 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/7992
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.