PRIMING IMPROVES GERMINATION AND SEEDLING GROWTH PERFORMANCE OF ACCELERATED AGED SEEDS OF TOMATO.
- Research Fellow, Dept. of Soil Science, Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana.
- Associate Professor, Dept. of Botany, Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana.
- Assistant Professor, Dept. of Botany, Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Seedprimingisacosteffectivetechniquewhichnot onlyimproves seed germinationbutalsoreduces time of seedlingemergence and improves stand establishment. Thepresent study was conducted to study the effect of various seed priming treatments (Hydration, KNO3 and GA3) on percent germination and growth indices of two tomato cultivars Varkha Bahar-1 and Varkha Bahar-2. Seed priming improved all morphological parameters such as percentage germination, seedling length, seedling fresh and dry weight and vigour index as compared to control.Seed priming with GA3showed more promotry effect followed by KNO3 and hydration at higher concentration. Similarly seed treatment for 48 hrs showed more promotory effect as compared to 24 hrs treatment in both the cultivars at both concentrations although the effect was more pronounced in Varkha Bahar-1 as compared to Varkha Bahar-2.
- Ahmadvand G, Soleimani F, Saadatian B and Pouya M (2012a) Effect of seed priming with potassium nitrate on germination and emergence traits of two soybean cultivars under salinity stress conditions. American-Eurasian J Agric Environ Sci12: 769-74.
- Ahmadvand G, Soleimani F, Saadatian B and Pouya M (2012b) Effect of seed priming on seed germination and seedling emergence of cotton under salinity stress. World ApplSci J 20: 1453-1458
- Ashraf M and Foolad R M (2005) Pre-sowing seed treatment - a shotgun approach to improve germination, plant growth and crop yield under saline and non-saline conditions. Advances in Agronomy 88: 223-71.
- Choudhury S, Islam N, Sarkar M D and AliM A (2013) Growth and Yield of Summer Tomato as Influenced by Plant Growth Regulators. International Journal of Sustainable Agriculture 5(1): 25-28.
- Patel Y K and Rai P K (2018) Effect of Seed Priming on Seed Quality of Tomato (Solanum lycoperscium L.). The Pharma Innovation Journal 7(2): 264-26.
- Paparella S, Ara?jo S S, Rossi G, Wijayasinghe M, Carbonera D and Balestrazzi A (2015) Seed priming: state of the art and new perspectives. Plant Cell Reports 34: 1281-93.
- Hussain S, Khan F, Hussain H A and Nie L (2016) Physiological and biochemical mechanisms of seed priming-induced chilling tolerance in rice cultivars. Frontiers in Plant Science 7:116.
- Zhang M, Wang Z, Yuan L, Yin C, Cheng J, Wang L (2012) Osmopriming improves tomato seed vigour under aging and salinity stress. African J Biotech 11(23): 6305-11.
- Abdul-BakiA S and Anderson J D (1973) Vigour determination in soybean by multiple criteria. Crop Sci13: 630-33.
- ISTA (2008) International Rules For Seed Testing. ISTA, Bassersdr of CH. Switzerland.
- Kathiresan K, Kalyani V, Gnanarethium J L (1984) Effect of seed treatments on field emergence, early growth and some physiological processes of sunflower (Helianthus annus L.). Field Crops Research 9: 255-59.
- Bakht J, Shafi M, Jamal Y, Sher H (2011) Response of maize (Zea mays L.) to seed priming with NaCl and salinity stress. Spanish J. of Agricultural. Research 9(1): 252-61.
- Ruan S, Xue Q, Tylkowska K (2002) The influence of priming on germination of rice (Oryza sativa L.) seeds and seedling emergence and performance in flooded soil. Seed Science & Technology 30: 61-67.
- Patade V Y, Maya K and ZakwanA (2011) Seed priming mediated germination improvement and tolerance to subsequent exposure to cold and salt stress in capsicum. Research Journal of Seed Science 4:125-36.
- Ghassemi G, Alito A A,Valizadahe M and Moghaddam M (2008) Effect of hydro and osmo priming on germination and field emergence of lentil. HortAgrobot (Online) 36 (1): 29-33.
- Harris D (2002) On-farm seed priming to increase yield of crops and reduce risk of crop failure in marginal areas of developing countries. Second international agronomy congress on balancing food and environmental security a continuing challenge. New Delhi 2002. (Indian Society of Agronomy). Indian council of agricultural research, pp. 1509-1511.
- Bradford K J, Steiner J JandTrawatha S E (1990) Seed priming influence on germination and emergence of pepper seeds. Crop Science 30: 718-21.
- Zhang M, Wang Z, Yuan L, Yin C, Cheng J, Wang L et al (2012)Osmopriming improves tomato seed vigour under aging and salinity stress. African J Biotech 11(23): 6305-11.
- Govinden S J and Levantard M (2008) Comparative studies of seed priming and pelleting on percentage and meantime to germination of seeds of tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum Mill.). African J Agric Res 3(10): 725-31.
- Demir I and Oztokat C (2003) Effect of salt priming on germinationand seedling growth at low temperatures in water melonseeds during development. Seed Science Technology31: 765-70.
- Farooq M, Basra M A, Tauseef M, Rehman H and Munir H (2007)Priming with ethanol, ascorbate and salicylicate enhancesthe germination and early seedling growth of pea (PisumSativum). Pakistan Journal of Agriculture Science 44 (1): 2.
- Nascimento W M (2003) Muskmelon seed germination and seedling development in response to seed priming. Scientia Agricola60 (1): 71-75.
[Chinka Batra, Namarta Gupta and Prinka Goyal. (2019); PRIMING IMPROVES GERMINATION AND SEEDLING GROWTH PERFORMANCE OF ACCELERATED AGED SEEDS OF TOMATO. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 7 (9). 209-214] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/9649 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/9649
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.