- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Background: The main issue involves high perianal fistula management, as fistulotomy would represent an inacceptable risk of incontinence in such patients. Platelet rich plasma (PRP) is defined as a portion of patient own plasma with high concentration platelet and growth factor levels as obtained by centrifugation. Platelets have alpha granules that contain several proteins with multiple actions on the various aspects of tissue repair. Aim of the study was to evaluate the use of autologous platelet rich plasma in the treatment of perianal fistula. Methods: A prospective study including patients with high perianal fistula who presented to General Surgery Department of Zagazig University in the period from September 2016 to February 2019. Result: We had 16 patients with a diagnosis of high perianal fistula, 9 males and 7 females. We had a clinical success rate of 75% (12 patients out of 16 were completely healed with no recurrence throughout the follow up period). Two patients (12.5%) developed postoperative abscess formation and another two patients (12.5%) showed persistent external opening. Conclusion: Platelet rich plasma is promising in the treatment of high perianal fistula without affection of fecal continence.
- Abel, M.E., Chiu, Y.S., Russell, T.R. and Volpe, P.A., 1993. Autologous fibrin glue in the treatment of rectovaginal and complex fistulas. Diseases of the colon & rectum, 36(5), pp.447-449.
- Cintron, J.R., Park, J.J., Orsay, C.P., Pearl, R.K., Nelson, R.L., Sone, J.H., Song, R. and Abcarian, H., 2000. Repair of fistulas-in-ano using fibrin adhesive. Diseases of the colon & rectum, 43(7), pp.944-949.
- Rosa, G., Lolli, P., Piccinelli, D., Mazzola, F. and Bonomo, S., 2006. Fistula in ano: anatomoclinical aspects, surgical therapy and results in 844 patients. Techniques in coloproctology, 10(3), p.215.
- Abbas, M.A., Jackson, C.H. and Haigh, P.I., 2011. Predictors of outcome for anal fistula surgery. Archives of Surgery, 146(9), pp.1011-1016.
- Moreno-Serrano, A., Garc?a-D?az, J.J., Ferrer-M?rquez, M., Alarc?n-Rodr?guez, R., ?lvarez-Garc?a, A. and Reina-Duarte, ?., 2016. Using autologous platelet-rich plasma for the treatment of complex fistulas. Rev Esp Enferm Dig, 108(3), pp.123-8.
- Van Onkelen, R.S., Gosselink, M.P., van Rosmalen, J., Thijsse, S. and Schouten, W.R., 2014. Different characteristics of high and low transsphincteric fistulae. Colorectal Disease, 16(6), pp.471-475.
- Damin, D.C., Rosito, M.A., Contu, P.C. and Tarta, C., 2009. Fibrin glue in the management of complex anal fistula. Arquivos de gastroenterologia, 46(4), pp.300-303.
- Lubkowska, A., Dolegowska, B. and Banfi, G., 2012. Growth factor content in PRP and their applicability in medicine. J Biol Regul Homeost Agents, 26(2 Suppl 1), pp.3S-22S.
- Borrione, P., Di Gianfrancesco, A., Pereira, M.T. and Pigozzi, F., 2010. Platelet-rich plasma in muscle healing. American journal of physical medicine & rehabilitation, 89(10), pp.854-861.
- Soltani, A. and Kaiser, A.M., 2010. Endorectal advancement flap for cryptoglandular or Crohn\'s fistula-in-ano.?Diseases of the Colon & Rectum,?53(4), pp.486-495.
- Sentovich, S.M., 2003. Fibrin glue for anal fistulas. Diseases of the colon & rectum, 46(4), pp.498-502.
[Yasser A. Orban and Ashraf Goda. (2019); EFFECTIVENESS OF AUTOLOGOUS PLATELET RICH PLASMA IN THE TREATMENT OF HIGHT PERIANAL FISTULA. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 7 (10). 59-64] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/9806 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/9806
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.