CHITOSAN: AN EFFECTIVE MATERIAL FOR TEXTILE WASTE WATER MANAGEMENT
- Assistant Professor, Department of Textile Engineering, Ahsanullah University of Science and Technology, 141-141 Love Road, Tejgaon, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Head, Department of Dyes and Chemicals Engineering, Bangladesh University of Textiles, Dhaka-1208, Bangladesh.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
In recent years dye removal by environmentally friendly, low-cost adsorbents from textile wastewater are in demand. Many researchers have focused on low cost bio-materials like cellulose, alginate, chitosan and lignin. But till today no such materials have found commercial significance in wastewater treatment. Very less work is found which is carried on real life waste water. As being the second largest biodegradable polysaccharide, chitosan has gained preferred interest than others in diversified fields including textile. Chitosan possesses a cationic character in acidic medium enabling its dissolution and possibilities of ion‐exchange interactions with anionic compounds. This offers the probability of acting as a sequestrant and can also undergo chemical modifications yielding a large variety of useful derivatives. In this research work, chitosan was dissolved using acetic acid at different concentrations to observe the effect of chitosan dosage in textile effluent parameters obtained from a local factory. Results revealed that chitosan could successfully be used to coagulate and flocculate anionic suspended solids to lower down the TDS, COD, BOD values and more effectively used as a bio-adsorbent to remove color from the wastewater. The highest chitosan performance was obtained with 60ml of 0.05% and 0.1% chitosan solution which reduced the polluted water characteristics like COD, BOD, and TDS below the maximum discharge value with a significant reduction in color.
- Abdullah, H. A., & Jaeel, A. J. (2019). Chitosan as a Widely Used Coagulant to Reduce Turbidity and Color of Model Textile Wastewater Containing an Anionic Dye (Acid Blue). Paper presented at the IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering.
- Ahmad, A., Sumathi, S., & Hameed, B. (2006). Coagulation of residue oil and suspended solid in palm oil mill effluent by chitosan, alum and PAC. Chemical Engineering Journal, 118(1-2), 99-105.
- Ahmad, M., Ahmed, S., Swami, B. L., & Ikram, S. (2015). Adsorption of heavy metal ions: role of chitosan and cellulose for water treatment. Langmuir, 79, 109-155.
- Ahmed, S., Ahmad, M., & Ikram, S. (2014). Chitosan: a natural antimicrobial agent-a review. Journal of Applicable Chemistry, 3(2), 493-503.
- Ahmed, S., & Ikram, S. (2015). Chitosan & its derivatives: a review in recent innovations. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research, 6(1), 14.
- Al-Rashdi, B., Johnson, D., & Hilal, N. (2013). Removal of heavy metal ions by nanofiltration. Desalination, 315, 2-17.
- Ali, Z. M., Laghari, A. J., Ansari, A. K., & Khuhawar, M. Y. (2013). Extraction and characterization of chitosan from Indian prawn (Fenneropenaeus indicus) and its applications on waste water treatment of local ghee industry. Extraction, 3(10).
- Aouni, A., Fersi, C., Cuartas-Uribe, B., Bes-P?a, A., Alcaina-Miranda, M. I., & Dhahbi, M. (2012). Reactive dyes rejection and textile effluent treatment study using ultrafiltration and nanofiltration processes. Desalination, 297, 87-96.
- Ariffin, A., Shatat, R. S., Norulaini, A. N., & Omar, A. M. (2005). Synthetic polyelectrolytes of varying charge densities but similar molar mass based on acrylamide and their applications on palm oil mill effluent treatment. Desalination, 173(3), 201-208.
- Babu, B. R., Parande, A., Raghu, S., & Kumar, T. P. (2007). Cotton textile processing: waste generation and effluent treatment. Journal of cotton science.
- Butola, B. S. (2018). The Impact and Prospects of Green Chemistry for Textile Technology: Woodhead Publishing.
- Čern?, M. (1995). Use of solvent extraction for the removal of heavy metals from liquid wastes. Environmental monitoring and assessment, 34(2), 151-162.
- Chequer, F. D., de Oliveira, G. A. R., Ferraz, E. R. A., Cardoso, J. C., Zanoni, M. B., & de Oliveira, D. P. (2013). Textile dyes: dyeing process and environmental impact. Eco-friendly textile dyeing and finishing, 6, 151-176.
- Cho, Y. I., No, H. K., & Meyers, S. P. (1998). Physicochemical characteristics and functional properties of various commercial chitin and chitosan products. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 46(9), 3839-3843.
- Coagulation and Flocculation Process Fundamentals Retrieved from https://www.mrwa.com/WaterWorksMnl/Chapter%2012%20Coagulation.pdf
- Coşkun, R., Soykan, C., & Sa?ak, M. (2006). Removal of some heavy metal ions from aqueous solution by adsorption using poly (ethylene terephthalate)-g-itaconic acid/acrylamide fiber. Reactive and Functional Polymers, 66(6), 599-608.
- Crotts, A. (1996). An Experimental technique in lowering total dissolved solids in wastewater.
- Desbri?res, J., & Guibal, E. (2018). Chitosan for wastewater treatment. Polymer International, 67(1), 7-14.
- Ehara, K., Saka, S., & Kawamoto, H. (2002). Characterization of the lignin-derived products from wood as treated in supercritical water. Journal of wood science, 48(4), 320-325.
- El Mouzdahir, Y., Elmchaouri, A., Mahboub, R., Gil, A., & Korili, S. (2010). Equilibrium modeling for the adsorption of methylene blue from aqueous solutions on activated clay minerals. Desalination, 250(1), 335-338.
- (2020, April 11). Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flocculation
- Grenha, A., Al-Qadi, S., Seijo, B., & Remu??n-L?pez, C. (2010). The potential of chitosan for pulmonary drug delivery. Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology, 20(1), 33-43.
- Guide for Assessment of Effluent Treatment Plants. (June 2008). Retrieved from http://old.doe.gov.bd/publication_images/15_etp_assessment_guide.
- Guzman, J., Saucedo, I., Revilla, J., Navarro, R., & Guibal, E. (2003). Copper sorption by chitosan in the presence of citrate ions: influence of metal speciation on sorption mechanism and uptake capacities. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 33(1-3), 57-65.
- Hadi, A. G. (2013). Dye removal from colored textile wastewater using synthesized chitosan. Int. J. Sci. Technol, 2(4), 359-364.
- Hao, O. J., Kim, H., & Chiang, P.-C. (2000). Decolorization of wastewater. Critical reviews in environmental science and technology, 30(4), 449-505.
- Hao, Y., Yang, X., Zhang, J., Hong, X., & Ma, X. (2006). Flocculation sweeps a nation. Pollution Engineering, 38, 12-13.
- Hu, L., Sun, Y., & Wu, Y. (2013). Advances in chitosan-based drug delivery vehicles. Nanoscale, 5(8), 3103-3111.
- Hu, X., Li, Y., Wang, Y., Li, X., Li, H., Liu, X., & Zhang, P. (2010). Adsorption kinetics, thermodynamics and isotherm of thiacalix  arene-loaded resin to heavy metal ions. Desalination, 259(1-3), 76-83.
- Jianglian, D., & Shaoying, Z. (2013). Application of chitosan based coating in fruit and vegetable preservation: A review. J. Food Process. Technol, 4(5), 227.
- Kannan, N., & Sundaram, M. M. (2001). Kinetics and mechanism of removal of methylene blue by adsorption on various carbons?a comparative study. Dyes and pigments, 51(1), 25-40.
- Koo, H., Choi, K., Kwon, I. C., & Kim, K. (2010). Chitosan‐Based Nanoparticles for Biomedical Applications. Pharmaceutical Sciences Encyclopedia: Drug Discovery, Development, and Manufacturing, 1-22.
- Kumar, M. N. R. (2000). A review of chitin and chitosan applications. Reactive and Functional Polymers, 46(1), 1-27.
- Li, J., Jiao, S., Zhong, L., Pan, J., & Ma, Q. (2013). Optimizing coagulation and flocculation process for kaolinite suspension with chitosan. Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, 428, 100-110.
- Li, J., Song, X., Pan, J., Zhong, L., Jiao, S., & Ma, Q. (2013). Adsorption and flocculation of bentonite by chitosan with varying degree of deacetylation and molecular weight. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 62, 4-12.
- Li, Q., Dunn, E., Grandmaison, E., & Goosen, M. F. (1992). Applications and properties of chitosan. Journal of Bioactive and Compatible Polymers, 7(4), 370-397.
- Morshed, M. N., Al Azad, S., Alam, M. A. M., Shaun, B. B., & Deb, H. (2016). An instigation to green manufacturing: Characterization and analytical analysis of textile wastewater for physico-chemical and organic pollution indicators. American Journal of Environmental Science & Technology, 1(1), 11-21.
- Phan, N. H., Rio, S., Faur, C., Le Coq, L., Le Cloirec, P., & Nguyen, T. H. (2006). Production of fibrous activated carbons from natural cellulose (jute, coconut) fibers for water treatment applications. Carbon, 44(12), 2569-2577.
- Rinaudo, M. (2006). Chitin and chitosan: properties and applications. Progress in polymer science, 31(7), 603-632.
- Thirugnanasambandham, K., Sivakumar, V., & Maran, J. P. (2013). Application of chitosan as an adsorbent to treat rice mill wastewater?mechanism, modelling and optimization. Carbohydrate Polymers, 97(2), 451-457.
- Total Dissolved Solids. Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_dissolved_solids
- Tran, H. V., Dai Tran, L., & Nguyen, T. N. (2010). Preparation of chitosan/magnetite composite beads and their application for removal of Pb (II) and Ni (II) from aqueous solution. Materials Science and Engineering: C, 30(2), 304-310.
- Trung, T. S., Ng, C.-H., & Stevens, W. F. (2003). Characterization of decrystallized chitosan and its application in biosorption of textile dyes. Biotechnology letters, 25(14), 1185-1190.
- Vaaramaa, K., & Lehto, J. (2003). Removal of metals and anions from drinking water by ion exchange. Desalination, 155(2), 157-170.
- Van Toan, N., & Hanh, T. T. (2013). Application of chitosan solutions for rice production in Vietnam. African Journal of Biotechnology, 12(4).
- Wan, M.-W., Kan, C.-C., Rogel, B. D., & Dalida, M. L. P. (2010). Adsorption of copper (II) and lead (II) ions from aqueous solution on chitosan-coated sand. Carbohydrate Polymers, 80(3), 891-899.
- Wang, L., Xing, R., Liu, S., Cai, S., Yu, H., Feng, J., . . . Li, P. (2010). Synthesis and evaluation of a thiourea-modified chitosan derivative applied for adsorption of Hg (II) from synthetic wastewater. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 46(5), 524-528.
- Wang, Z., Xue, M., Huang, K., & Liu, Z. (2011). Textile dyeing wastewater treatment. Advances in treating textile effluent, 5, 91-116.
- (2019, November). Effluent. Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effluent
- (2020, April 15). Chitosan. Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chitosan
- Yi, H., Wu, L.-Q., Bentley, W. E., Ghodssi, R., Rubloff, G. W., Culver, J. N., & Payne, G. F. (2005). Biofabrication with chitosan. Biomacromolecules, 6(6), 2881-2894.
- Zhang, H., Zhao, X., Wei, J., & Li, F. (2014). Sorption behavior of cesium from aqueous solution on magnetic hexacyanoferrate materials. Nuclear Engineering and Design, 275, 322-328.
- Zuo, X. (2014). Preparation and evaluation of novel thiourea/chitosan composite beads for copper (II) removal in aqueous solutions. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 53(3), 1249-1255.
[Sonia Hossain and Forhad Hossain (2020); CHITOSAN: AN EFFECTIVE MATERIAL FOR TEXTILE WASTE WATER MANAGEMENT Int. J. of Adv. Res. 8 (May). 26-34] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Assistant Professor, Department of Textile Engineering, Ahsanullah University of Science and Technology, 141-141 Love Road, Tejgaon, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/10904
DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/10904
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.