- Cite This Article as
Road traffic has become one of the main issues in Sri Lanka.Poor infrastructure facilities are unable to handle the increasing traffic and this resulted in generating higher traffic in town areas. Another reason for the road traffic is the poor traffic management systems implemented as well as the poor traffic management by the traffic police. Inexperienced traffic police handling the traffic might sometimes create more traffic rather than decreasing the traffic. Violation of the road rules and regulations also increase the traffic generated on the roads. The valuable time as well as the money spent on fuel is wasted due to this issue. To address this issue following system will first analyse video footage using object detection algorithms and count the number of cars entered into a particular road. Using the output counts prediction algorithm which the system consist will statistically generate a predicted time that the traffic light should be timed. This green time is the optimal time that the traffic light systems should be programmed in order to minimize the road traffic. Key benefits of this system is the reduction of the traffic thus save the valuable time of the citizens and saving the money which spent on fuel. And in the long run pollution of environment in air and sound forms will reduced as well as the increase of the productivity as a country will utilize the limited time due to the system.
- Uke and R. Thool, \"Moving Vehicle Detection for Measuring Traffic Count Using OpenCV\", Journal of Automation and Control Engineering, pp. 349-352, 2013.
- Shukla and M. Saini, \"\"Moving Object Tracking of Vehicle Detection\": A Concise Review\", International Journal of Signal Processing, Image Processing and Pattern Recognition, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 169-176, 2015.
- Sharma, V. Katiyar, A. Gupta and A. Singh, \"The Automated Vehicle Detection of Highway Traffic Images by Differential Morphological Profile\", Journal of Transportation Technologies, vol. 04, no. 02, pp. 150-156, 2014.
- Wang, Y. Cai and L. Chen, \"A Vehicle Detection Algorithm Based on Deep Belief Network\", The Scientific World Journal, vol. 2014, pp. 1-7, 2014.
- Chien and L. Chen, \"Reconfigurable Morphological Image Processing Accelerator for Video Object Segmentation\", J Sign Process Syst, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 77-96, 2008.
- Niksaz, \"Automatic Traffic Estimation Using Image Processing\", Signal Processing, Image Processing and Pattern Recognition, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 167-174, 2016.
- Nagaraj, J. Rathod, P. Patil, S. Thakur and U. Sharma, \"Traffic Jam Detection Using Image Processing\", Engineering Research and Applications, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. pp.1087-1091, 2013.
- washington.edu, \"Video Image Processing to Create a Speed Sensor\", 1999. [Online]. Available: http://www.its.washington.edu/. [Accessed: 15- Feb- 2016].
- S. a. L. E. G. Raad Ahmed Hadi, \"Signal & Image Processing,\" VEHICLE DETECTION AND TRACKING, vol. vol 5 no 1, p. 5, 2014.
- MargritBetke,EsinHaritaoglu,Larry S. Davis2, \"Machine Vision and Applications,\" Real-time multiple vehicle detection and tracking, vol. 12, p. 5, 2000.
- Kumar, \"Digital Image Processing\", Wamis.org, 2016. [Online]. Available: http://www.wamis.org. [Accessed: 13- Feb- 2016].
- ShaziaAkram,Dr.Mehraj-Ud-Din Dar,AasiaQuyoum, \"Document Image Processing - A Review,\" International Journal of Computer Applications , vol. Volume 10– No.5, 2010.
- Jain, A. Sharma and L. Subramanian, \"Road Traffic Congestion in the Developing World\",Cs.nyu.edu. [Online]. Available: http://www.cs.nyu.edu/. [Accessed: 20- Feb- 2016].
- Loureiro, R. Rossetti and R. Braga, \"Video Processing Techniques for Traffic Information Acquisition Using Uncontrolled Video Streams\", Researchgate.net. [Online]. Available: https://www.researchgate.net. [Accessed: 20- Feb- 2016].
- Atko?ciunas, R. Blake, A. Juozapavi?cius and M. Kazimianec, \"Image Processing in Road Traffic Analysis\", Nonlinear Analysis: Modelling and Control, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 315–332, 2005.
- Khot Harish, R. Gote Swati, B. KhatalSonali and P. Sangmesh, \"Smart Video Surveillance\",Emerging Engineering Research and Technology, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 109-112, 2015.
[Nilosha Pereira, K.K.P Gayashani, L.G.K.M Gunathunga, N.Y Niluka, A.A.JChinthaka and Gayana Fernando. (2017); AUTOMATED TRAFFIC COUNTING AND CONTROL. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 5 (1). 10-18] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/2714 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/2714
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.