- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Background: Osteoporosis characterized by low bone mass and micro architectural deterioration of bone tissue, leading to enhanced bone fragility and a consequent increase in fracture risk. Objective: the aim of this study was to compare between pulsed high-intensity laser (HILT) and pulsed ultrasound (PUS) in treatment of osteoporosis in men. Method: Sixty male patients their age between 40- 65 years included in this study, the patients divided randomly into three equal groups. Laser group (LG,n=20), ultrasound group (USG,n=20), twenty patients and control group (CG,n=20). Patients in Laser and ultrasound groups received treatment for 12 weeks on the lumbar spine according to designed protocol ten minutes three times a week but the control groupdid not receive any treatment. Patients in the three groups evaluated at the beginning of the study and after completion using the DXA device for measuring the bone density and the results will be compared in the three groups.Results: The result of our study showed that there was significant improvement in bone density in LG and USG without significant difference between HILT and US. Conclusion: LASER and US was an effective physiotherapy modality in treatment of osteoporosis and improve bone mineral density.
- Chrys D. Schmults, MD; Robert Phelps, MD; David J. Goldberg, MD. Erythema Reduction and Histologic Evidence of New Collagen Formation Using a 300-Microsecond 1064-nm Nd:YAG Laser, 2004; 140:1373-1376
- DaeGon Woo, Chang-Yong Ko,Han Sung Kim, Jong Bum Seo, and Doh Yung Lim.Evaluation of the Potential Clinical Application of Low-Intensity Ultrasound Stimulation for Preventing Osteoporotic Bone Fracture Annals of Biomedical Engineering 2010 ;38: 2438?2446.
- Doan N, Reher P, Meghji S and Harris M.In vitro effects of therapeutic ultrasound on cell proliferation, protein synthesis, and cytokine production by human fibroblasts, osteoblasts, and monocytes\", J Oral MaxillofacSurg 1999; 57:409-419.
- Garavello-Freitas, I., Baranauskas, V., Joazeiro, P. Low-power laser irradiation improves histomorphometrical parameters and bone matrix organization during tibia wound healing in rats. J. Photobiol 2003; 70, 81?89.
- Gauthier O, M?ller R, von Stechow D, Lamy B, Weiss P, Bouler JM, Aguado E, Daculsi, G. In vivo bone regeneration with injectable calciumphosphate biomaterial: a three-dimensional micro-computed tomographic, biomechanical and SEM study. Biomaterials 2005; 26; 5444?5453.
- Hadjiargyrou M, Mcleod K, Ryaby J. and Rubin C. Enhancement of fracture healing by low intensity U.S ClinOrthop 1998; 355:216-29.
- KhandraM, Stale P, Lyngstadassa et al .Effect of laser therapy on attachment proliferation and differentiation of human osteoblast like-cells cultured on titanium implant material Biomaterials 2005. (26): 3504- 3509.
- Lan CC, Wu CS, Chiou MH, Hsieh PC, Yu HS. Low energy helium?neon laser induces locomotion of the immaturemelanoblasts and promotes melanogenesis of the more differentiated melanoblasts: recapitulation of vitiligorepigmentation in vitro. J. Investig. Dermatol 2006; 126: 2119?2126.
- Lewiecki EM. Intravenous zoledronic acid for the treatment of osteoporosis: The evidence of its therapeutic effect. Core Evid2010; No. 4, pp. 13-23.
- Lin JT, Lane JM. Osteoporosis: a review. ClinOrthopRelat Res 2004;126-34.
- Liu X, Lyon R, Meier HT, Thometz J, Haworth ST. Effect of lower-level laser therapy on rabbit tibial fracture. Photomed. Laser Surg 2007;25: 487?494.
- Loevschall H, Arenholt-Bindslev D. Effects of low level diode laser (GaAlAs) irradiation on fibroblast of human oral mucosa in vitro. Lasers Surg Med 1994; 14:347?354.
- M?rquezMart?nez ME, Pinheiro AL, Ramalho LM. Effect of IR laser photobiomodulation on the repair of bone defects grafted with organic bovine bone. Lasers Med Sci 2008; 23 (3):313-7.
- Nelson HD, HumphreyLL, Nygren P, et al. Postmenopausal hormone replacement therapy: scientific review. JAMA 2002; No. 288, pp. 872-881.
- NIH Consensus Development Panel on Osteoporosis Prevention Diagnosis and Therapy. Osteoporosis prevention, diagnosis, and therapy. JAMA 2001; No. 285, pp. 785-795.
- Noble PB, Shields ED, Blecher PD, Bentley KC. Locomotory characteristics of fibroblasts within a three dimensional collagen lattice: modulation by helium/neon soft laser. Lasers Surg Med 1992; 12:669?674
- Noller, KL. Estrogen replacement therapy and risk of ovarian cancer. JAMA 2002, No. 288,pp. 368-369.
- Parra PF, Ghinassi S, Ciuti F. The neodymium-YAG laser in defocused for its evolution increasingly effective treatment of the injured athlete. Laser and Technology 1992; 2(1):13-16.
- Paulo S?rgioBossini, Ana Claudia Muniz Renn? , Daniel Araki Ribeiro, Renan Fangel,Alessa Castro Ribeiro, Manoela de AssisLahoz , Nivaldo Antonio Pariztto. Low level laser therapy (830 nm) improves bone repair in osteoporotic rats:Similar outcomes at two different dosages Experimental Gerontology 2012; 47: 136?142.
- Pilla AA. Low-intensity electromagnetic and mechanical modulation of bone growth and repair: are they equivalent? J OrthopSci 2002; 7, 420?428.
- Pires-Oliveira DA, de Oliveira RF, Zangaro RA, Soares CP. Evaluation of low-level laser therapy of osteoblastic cells. Photomed. Laser Surg 2008; 26: 401?404.
- Renn? ACM, de Moura FM, dos SantosNS, TiricoRP,Bossini PS, Parizotto NA. Effects of 830-nm laser, used in two doses, on biomechanical properties of osteopenic rat femora. Photomed. Laser Surg2006;24: 202?206.
- Renn? ACM, McDoNneell PA, Parizotto NA, Laakso EL. The effects of laser irradiation on osteoblast and osteosarcoma cell proliferation and differentiation in vitro. Photomed. Laser Surg 2007; 25: 275?280.
- Rutten S, Nolte P, Korstjens C and Klein J. Lowintensity pulsed ultrasound increases bone volume, osteoid thickness and mineral apposition rate in the area of fracture healing in patients with a delayed union of the Osteotomized fibula\", Bone. 2008; 43(2):348-54.
- Sheng S, Hong C, Walter H and Chen L. In vittro effects of low intensity ultrasound stimulation on the bone cells\", Inc. J. Biomed Mater Res 2001; 57:449-456.
- Siffert RS and Kaufman JJ. Ultrasonic bone assessment:??the time has come??. Bone 2007; 40:5?8.
- Stein A, BenayahuD, Maltz, L, Oron U. Low-level laser irradiation promotes proliferation and differentiation of human osteoblasts in vitro. Photomed. Laser Surg 2005; 23:161?166.
- Totosy de Zepetnek JO, Giangregorio LM, Craven BC. Whole-body vibration as potential intervention for people with low bone mineral density and osteoporosis: a review. J Rehabil Res Dev 2009; No. 46, pp. 529-542.
- TrellesMA and Mayayo E. Bone fracture consolidates faster with low-power laser. Lasers Surg Med 19873; 36-45.
- Warden SJ, Bennell KL, Forwood MR, et al. Skeletal effects of low-intensity pulsed ultrasound on the ovariectomized rodent. Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology 2001; No. 27, pp. 989-998.
- Warden SJ. Efficacy of low-intensity pulsed ultrasound in the prevention of osteoporosis following spinal cord injury. Bone 2001; No. 29, pp. 431-436.
- Whyte MP, McAlister WH, Novack DV, et al. Bisphosphonate-induced osteoporosis:novel bone modeling defects, metaphyseal osteopenia, and osteosclerosis fractures after drug exposure ceases. J Bone Miner Res, 2008; No. 23, pp. 1698-1707.
- Wing-Hoi Cheung, Wai-Ching Chin, Ling Qin, Kwok-Sui Leung. Lowintensitypulsedultrasoundenhances fracture healing in bothovariectomy-inducedosteoporotic and age-matched normal bones. J OrthopRes 2012; 30:129?136.
[Anwar Abdel gayed Ebid and Ali Abd El Monsif Thabet. (2017); Pulsed Nd: YAGLaser versus Ultrasound in Treatment of Osteoporosis. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 5 (1). 936-941] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Associate Professor Physical Therapy, Faculty of Applied Medical Science, Umm Al-Qura University, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/2836 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/2836
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.