EDUCATING ENVIRONMENTAL LITERATE CITIZENS IN ASTRITSI GORGE: A NARRATIVE REFLECTION.
- Teacher of Meleses Lyceum, 70300, Crete, Greece. Ph.D., Med, School Advisor for Secondary Science Teachers of West Crete, Regional Educational Directorates of Crete, Knossos Avenue 6, 71306, Heraklion, Crete, Greece.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
For more than ten years, Astritsi gorge constituted a very useful learning environment for the interdisciplinary approach of many cognitive objects taught in Meleses Lyceum, in the projects of the Environmental Education. It offered ample opportunities and possibilities to activate, in collaboration, many teachers, students, scientists, authorities, bodies, etc. and promote the principles and values of Environmental Education and Education for the Sustainable Development. This paper (consists of ) is a narrative reflection of the two teachers who developed many educational activities in Astritsigorge, carrying out many school environmental projects following the UNESCO decade of Education for the SustainableDevelopment. The purpose of the research was to present, in a summarized way, the extracting data from the collected archival material in a review study for teachers who materializeprojects of Environmental Education in Secondary Education. The archival material of the applied projects studied, through a reflection point of view, the goals which have been explicitly expressed or implied, on the thematic subjects, the criteria of the issue selection, the purposes and objectives, the educational methodology, the educational activities, actions and interventions inside and outside the school and gorge, reflections and evaluation, recommendations and dissemination of the projects’ results with impact on the local society.
- Aegean (2004) Aegean Project Management Guide "School Projects of Environmental Education-SPEEs", 2002-2006, www.Aegean/sppe.gr, was pulled 20/12/2005
- Bell J. (1997) Methodological Design of Pedagogical and Social Research, Gutenberg Publications, Athens
- Bird, R. W. (1990) Scientific inquiry and science teaching. In L. B. Flick, & N. G. Lederman (Eds.), Scientific inquiry and nature of science: Implications for teaching, learning, and teacher education (Chap. 1, pp. 1-14). Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Bruntland Commission (1987) Report of the World Commission on Environment and Development: Our Common Future, available 7/2/2016 on http://www.un-documents.net/our-common-future.pdf
- CEU-Council of the European Union (2009) Council Conclusions on a strategic framework for European cooperation in education and training ("ET 2020") 2941th Education, Youth And Culture, Council meeting, Brussels, 12 May
- Chircop D (2015) Education policy in the Europe 2020 Strategy, Briefing November 2015, European Parliamentary Research Service (EPRS), Members' Research Service PE 572.789
- EC (2006) Key competences for lifelong learning. Recommendation 2006/962/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 18 December 2006 on key competences for lifelong learning [Official Journal L 394 of 30.12.2006], available 050216 on http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=URISERV:c11090
- EC (2007) Schools for the 21st Century, Commission Staff Working Document, Commission of the European Communities, Brussels, 11.07.2007, Sec(2007) 1009, available 23/09/2010 on http://ec.europa.eu/education/school21/consultdoc_el.pdf and 02/02/2016 on http://e-learning.sch.gr/pluginfile.php/7824/mod_resource/content/0/geniko_meros/enothta_1/mathima_1/schools_for_the_20th_century.pdf
- Flogaiti E. (2006) Education for Environment and Sustainability, publications Greek Letters, 2nd edition
- Hernandez, O. and Monroe, M.C (2000) Thinking about behavior, in Environmental Education and Communication for a Sustainable World. Handbook for international Participants. USA: Academy for Educational Development
- Huckle J (2006) Philosophical framework for ESD Understanding society and nature and sustainable development, University Notes Workshop 4-8 December, Post-Graduate Program "Environmental Education" TEPAES, Aegean University, Rhodes
- Kalathaki M (2016) Environmental project plan for schools of secondary education, Asian Academic Research Journal of Social Sciences & Humanities ISSN 2278 – 859X, Year 2016, Volume-3, Issue- 5 (May - 2016), available 090916 on http://www.asianacademicresearch.org/2016_paper/may2016/11.pdf
- Matsagouras H. (2007) Teaching Strategies, 5th edition, Gutenberg, Athens
- Meyer Z. D. & Avery M. L. (2001) A Science and Technology Studies Lens for Studying Teacher Practice, Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Seattle, WA, April 12, available at http://ei.cornell.edu/pubs/
- NTUA (2007) Educational material for Teachers and Executives Training Seminar of Environmental Education, EPEAEK II Writing Group with scientific responsible Professor Koutsopoulos K., National Technical University of Athens
- Rio+20 (2012) “The_Future_We_Want”, Conference_outcome_document, Rio+20 United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development, Rio de Janeiro, 20-22 June 2012, http://www.hellenicaid.gr/diethnes-plaisio/diethnes-plaisio/pagkosmia-diaskepse-gia-te-biosime-anaptuxe-ton-ee-rio-20.html
- Robottomt ?, (2004). Constructivism in Environmental Education: Beyond Conceptual Change Theory, Australian Journal of Environmental Education, vol. 20(2)
- Scott W. (2007), Goodfellow M. and Andrew-Power K. (editors), Raising standards: making sense of the sustainable schools agenda, Specialist Schools and Academies Trust, London
- Scott, W. & Gough, S. (2003) Sustainable Development and Learning, Framing the issues, London, Routledge Falmer
- Sterling,S. (1996). Education in Change. In Huckle, J. & Sterling, S. (eds), Education for Sustainability, Earthscan
- UNESCO (2005) Guidelines and Recommendations for Reorienting Teacher Education to Address Sustainability, United Nations Decade of Education for Sustainable Development (2005-2014), Education for Sustainable Development in Action, Technical Paper N° 2 – 2005 UNESCO Education Sector
- UNESCO (2015) EDUCATION 2030, Indicators to monitor Education2030 global citizenship, http://www.uis.unesco.org/Education/Documents/43-indicators-to-monitor-education2030.pdf
- UNECE (2005) ?????????? ??? UNECE ??? ??? ?????????? ??? ??? ??????? ????????, Vilnius, 17-18 ??????? 2005)
- Vygotsky L.S. (1997) Mind in Society, Development of Higher Psychological Processes, translation Bibou A and Vosniadou S., Publisher Gutenberg, Athens
- Youth (2012) Students initiatives support program "Inside, outside and on the same: Students in Action" of the General Secretariat for Youth, Greek Ministry of Education, Lifelong learning and Religion, www.neagenia.gr
- Ziaka C., Robichon Ph., Souchon C. (2000) Environmental Education, six proposals for civil society, Publisher Islets, Thessaloniki
[Papastefanaki A and Kalathaki M. (2017); EDUCATING ENVIRONMENTAL LITERATE CITIZENS IN ASTRITSI GORGE: A NARRATIVE REFLECTION. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 5 (Jan). 526-534] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
SCHOOL ADVISOR FOR SCIENCE TEACHERS OF SECONDARY EDUCATION OF CRETE GREECE
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/2777
DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/2777
Download Full PaperDownload PDF No. of Downloads: 13 | No. of Views: 71
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.