ASPARTATE AMINOTRANSFERASE TO PLATELET RATIO INDEX VERSUS NEUTROPHIL TO LYMPHOCYTE RATIO FOR PREDICTION OF POST RADIOFREQUENCY ABLATION RECURRENCE OF HEPATOCELLULAR CARCINOMA.
- Internal Medicine Department, Faculty of Medicine, Zagazig University, Egypt.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Background & Aims: Tumor recurrence after curative radiofrequency ablation (RFA) of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) is common. The burden of frequent post- ablation investigations especially triphasic computerized tomography (TCT) is high. We investigated whether post ablation measurement of aspartate aminotransferase to platelet ratio index (APRI) and neutrophil to lymphocyte ratio (NLR) as simple and cheap biomarkers can precisely predict HCC recurrence and which of them is more valuable. Methods: In this retrospective study, the demographic, clinical, laboratory and imaging data of 42 HCC patients treated with RFA were statistically analyzed. Patients were classified into two groups; those with HCC recurrence (group I) and those without (group II). In order to test the value of baseline NLR versus that of APRI in predicting tumor recurrence and compare both to alfa fetoprotein (AFP), we used receiver operating curve (ROC) statistics. Results: Mean values of AST, Platelets count, APRI, NLR and AFP showed significant correlation with HCC recurrence. Using logistic regression analysis, NLR was the only independent risk factor predicting HCC recurrence. NLR had the highest sensitivity and specificity for prediction of HCC recurrence (90.9 % and 85%) followed by that of AFP (86.4 % and 75%), and lastly by that of APRI (72.7% and 70%). Conclusion: NLR is a promising, simple and cheap surrogate marker for prediction of HCC recurrence after radiofrequency ablation, and is far more significant than APRI.
- Llovet JM, Burroughs A, Bruix J. Hepatocellular carcinoma. Lancet 2003; 362(9399): 1907-1917.
- Alison MR. Liver stem cells: Implications for hepatocarcinogenesis.Stem Cell Rev. 2005; 1(3):253-60.
- Llovet JM, Fuster J, Bruix J. The Barcelona approach: diagnosis, staging, and treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma.Liver Transpl. 2004; 10(Suppl 1):S115-20.
- Mulier S, Mulier P, Ni Y, et al. Complications of radiofrequency coagulation of liver tumours. Br J Surg 2002; 89: 1206–1222.
- Lau WY, Leung TW, Yu SC, Ho SK .Percutaneous local ablative therapy for hepatocellular carcinoma: a review and look into the future. Ann Surg 2003;237:171–179.
- Chen MS, Li JQ, Zheng Y, et al. A prospective and omized trial comparing percutaneous local ablative therapy and partial hepatectomy for small hepatocellular carcinoma. Ann Surg 2006; 243: 321–328.
- Shiina S, Tateishi R, Arano T, et al. Radiofrequency ablation for hepatocellular carcinoma: 10-year outcome and prognostic factors. Am.J. Gastroenterol. 2012; 107: 569–77; quiz 78.
- Hosokawa T, Kurosaki M, Tsuchiya K, et al. Hyperglycemia is a significant prognostic factor of hepatocellular carcinoma after curative therapy. World J. Gastroenterol.2013; 19: 249–57.
- Yang X, Zhang Y, Zhang L, et al. Silencing alpha fetoprotein expression induces growth arrest and apoptosis in human hepatocellular cancer cell. Cancer Lett 2008; 271:281–293.
- Arrieta O, Cacho B, Morales-Espinosa D, et al. The progressive elevation of alpha fetoprotein for the diagnosis of hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with liver cirrhosis. BMC Cancer 2007; 8:28.
- Nunes D, Fleming C, Offner G, et al. Non invasive markers of liver fibrosis are highly predictive of liver-related death in a cohort of HCV-infected individuals with and without HIV infection. Am J Gastroenterol. 2010; 105:1346–1353.
- Su CW, Chan CC, Hung HH, et al. Predictive value of aspartate aminotransferase to alanine aminotransferase ratio for hepatic fibrosis and clinical adverse outcomes in patients with primary biliary cirrhosis. J Clin Gastroenterol 2009; 43:876–883.
- Wei-Yu Kao, Yi-You Chiou, Hung-Hsu H, et al. Risk factors for long-term prognosis in hepatocellular carcinoma after radiofrequency ablation therapy: the clinical implication of aspartate aminotransferase–platelet ratio index. European Journal of Gastroenterology &Hepatology 2011; 23:528–536.
- Shen S-L, Fu S-J, Chen B, et al. Preoperative aspartate aminotransferase to platelet ratio is an independent prognostic factor for hepatitis B-induced hepatocellular carcinoma after hepatic resection. Ann Surg Oncol. 2014;21(12):3802–
- Kao W-Y, Chiou Y-Y, Hung H-H , et al. Risk factors for long-term prognosis in hepatocellular carcinoma after radiofrequency ablation therapy: the clinical implication of aspartate aminotransferase– platelet ratio index. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2011;23(6):528–
- Wu JC, Huang YH, Chau GY, et al. Risk factors for early and late recurrence in hepatitis B-related hepatocellular carcinoma.J Hepatol 2009; 51:890–897.
- Hung HH, Su CW, Lai CR, et al. Fibrosis and AST to platelet ratio index predict post-operative prognosis for solitary small hepatitis B related hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatol. Int. 2010;4:691–699.
- Jung MR, Park YK, Jeong O, et al. Elevated preoperative neutrophil to lymphocyte ratio predicts poor survival following resection in late stage gastric cancer. J. Surg. Oncol. 2011;104: 504–510.
- Zahorec R. Ratio of neutrophil to lymphocyte counts–rapid and simple parameter of systemic inflammation and stress in critically ill. Bratisl Lek Listy 2001;102:5–14.
- Thavaramara T, Phaloprakarn C, Tangjitgamol S, Manusirivithaya S. Role of neutrophil to lymphocyte ratio as a prognostic indicator for epithelial ovarian cancer. J Med Assoc Thai 2011; 94: 871–877.
- Oh BS, Jang JW, Kwon JH, et al. Prognostic value of C-reactive protein and neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma. BMC Cancer 2013; 13: 78.
- Morris-Stiff G, Gomez D, Prasad KR. C-reactive protein in liver cancer surgery. Eur J Surg Oncol 2008; 34: 727-729.
- Hashimoto K, Ikeda Y, Korenaga D, et al. The impact of preoperative serum C-reactive protein on the prognosis of patients with hepatocellular carcinoma. Cancer 2005; 103: 1856-1864.
- Halazun KJ, Hardy M, Rana A. Negative impact of neutrophil lymphocyte ratio on outcome after liver transplantation for hepato-cellular carcinoma.Ann Surg 2009; 250: 141- 51.
- Ng KK, Poon RT, Lo CM, et al. Analysis of recurrence pattern and its influence on survival outcome after radiofrequency ablation of hepatocellular carcinoma. J Gastro intest Surg 2008; 12:183–191.
- N’Kontchou G, Mahamoudi A, Aout M, et al. Radiofrequency ablation of hepatocellular carcinoma: long-term results and prognostic factors in 235 Western patients with cirrhosis.Hepatology 2009; 50:1475–1483.
- Tsai MC, Wang JH, Hung CH, et al. Favorable alpha-fetoprotein decrease as a prognostic surrogate in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma after radiofrequency ablation. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2010; 25:605–612.
- Durand F, Valla D. Assessment of the prognosis of cirrhosis: Child-Pugh versus MELD. J Hepatol 2005;42(suppl):S100-S107.
- Pugh RN, Murray-Lyon IM, Dawson JL, Pietroni MC. Transection of the oesophagus for bleeding oesophageal varices. Br J Surg 1973;60:646-649.
- Gomaa AI, Khan SA, Toledano MB, et al. Hepatocellular carcinoma: Epidemiology, risk factors and pathogenesis. World J Gastroenterol 2008; 14(27): 4300-4308.
- El–Serag HB, Rudolph KL. Hepatocellular carcinoma: epidemiology and molecular carcinogenesis. Gastroenterology. 2007;132(7):2557–
- Ji F, Fu SJ, Shen SL, et al. The prognostic value of combined TGF-?1 and ELF in hepatocellular carcinoma.BMC Cancer 2015;15(1):116.
- Ma J, Jiang Y, Gong G. Evaluation of seven noninvasive models in staging liver fibrosis in patients with chronic hepatitis B virus infection. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2013;25(4):428–
- Boursier J, Brochard C, Bertrais S, et al. Combination of blood tests for significant fibrosis and cirrhosis improves the assessment of liver-prognosis in chronic hepatitis C. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2014;40(2):178–
- Lai Q, Castro Santa E, Rico Juri JM,et al. Neutrophil and platelet-to-lymphocyte ratio as new predictors of dropout and recurrence after liver transplantation for hepatocellular cancer. Transpl Int 2014; 27: 32-41.
- Chen TM, Lin CC, Huang PT, Wen CF. Neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio associated with mortality in early hepatocellular carcinoma patients after radiofrequency ablation. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2012; 27: 553–561.
- Dan J, Zhang Y, Peng Z, et al. Postoperative Neutrophil-to-Lymphocyte Ratio Change Predicts Survival of Patients with Small Hepatocellular Carcinoma Undergoing Radiofrequency Ablation. PloS One 2013;8(3):e58184.
- Tajiri K, Baba H, Kawai K, et al. Neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio predicts recurrence after radiofrequency ablation in hepatitis B virus infection. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2016 Jul;31(7):1291-9
- Fondevila C, Metges JP, Fuster J, et al.p53 and VEGF expression are independent predictors of tumour recurrence and survival following curative resection of gastric cancer. Br J Cancer 2004; 90: 206–215.
- Chung HA, Kim JH, Hwang Y, et al. Non invasive fibrosis marker can predict recurrence of hepatocellular carcinoma after radiofrequency ablation. Saudi J Gastroenterol 2016;22:57-63.
[Mohammad M. Sallam , Emad Hamed Fawzy and Hany Mohamed Elsadek . (2017); ASPARTATE AMINOTRANSFERASE TO PLATELET RATIO INDEX VERSUS NEUTROPHIL TO LYMPHOCYTE RATIO FOR PREDICTION OF POST RADIOFREQUENCY ABLATION RECURRENCE OF HEPATOCELLULAR CARCINOMA. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 5 (1). 566-572] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/2783 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/2783
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.