IMMUNOHISTOCHEMICAL EXPRESSION OF CYTOKERATIN 20 (Ck20) IN COLORECTAL TUMORS AMONG SUDANESE PATIENTS.
- Department of Histopathology and Cytology, College of Medical Laboratory Science, Sudan University of Science and Technology, Khartoum, Sudan.
- Department of Zoology, Facultyof Science, University of Khartoum, Khartoum, Sudan.
- Department of Pathology, College of Medicine, Tabaha University, Medina Monawarah, KSA.
Background and Objective:Cytokeratin 20 (CK20) is a widely expressed epithelial protein used as immunohistochemical marker for routine diagnosis. The aim of the current study was to detect the immunohistochemical expression of Ck20 tumor markerin colorectal tumors among Sudanese patients. Methods: Retrospective analytical case control study was conducted at Khartoum state. One hundred and fifty previously diagnosed colorectal tumor blocks were enrolled including 100 malignant tumors and 50benign colorectal tumors. The paraffin sections were tested by immunohistochemical method for CK20 expression. Results: Females were significantly at greater risk of getting colorectal malignant tumors than males (p. value 0.003). Malignant tumors were significantly more common in the rectal site than the colon site (p 0.000). Significant positive immunohistochemical expression of Ck20 was noticed in colorectal malignant tissues (58%) when compared to benign tumors (22%) (p 0.000). Conclusion:The study concluded that colorectal cancer was more distributed in females and the rectal was the most affected site. Immunohistochemical expression of Ck20 in malignant tissues was twice that of benign colorectal tumors confirming the importance of CK20 staining colorectal carcinogenesis regardless of cancer grade.
- Siegel R, DeSantis C, Virgo K, Stein K, Mariotto A, Smith T, et al. Cancer treatment and survivorship statistics, 2012. CA: a cancer journal for clinicians. 2012;62(4):220-41.
- Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bray F, Forman D, Mathers C, Parkin DM. Estimates of worldwide burden of cancer in 2008: GLOBOCAN 2008. International journal of cancer. 2010;127(12):2893-917.
- Bragulla HH, Homberger DG. Structure and functions of keratin proteins in simple, stratified, keratinized and cornified epithelia. Journal of anatomy. 2009;214(4):516-59.
- Schweizer J, Bowden PE, Coulombe PA, Langbein L, Lane EB, Magin TM, et al. New consensus nomenclature for mammalian keratins. The Journal of cell biology. 2006;174(2):169-74.
- Awad-Elkareem A, Mohammed S, Osman. Immunohistochemical Expression of Cytokeratin 20 in Colorectal Cancer. European Academic Research. 2016;III(11):11683-91.
- Lassmann S, Bauer M, Soong R, Schreglmann J, Tabiti K, Nährig J, et al. Quantification of CK20 gene and protein expression in colorectal cancer by RT?PCR and immunohistochemistry reveals inter?and intratumour heterogeneity. The Journal of pathology. 2002;198(2):198-206.
- Bancroft JD, Gamble M. Theory and practice of histological techniques: Elsevier Health Sciences; 2008.
- Ferkolj I, Gangl A, Galle P, Vucelic B. Pathogenesis and clinical practice in gastroenterology: Springer; 2008.
- Zlatian OM, Com?nescu M, Ro?u A, Ro?u L, Cruce M, G?man A, et al. Histochemical and immunohistochemical evidence of tumor heterogeneity in colorectal cancer. Romanian journal of morphology and embryology= Revue roumaine de morphologie et embryologie. 2014;56(1):175-81.
- Al-Attraqhchi AA, Abdulhassan BA, Mahmood FM, Hana DB. Molecular and Immunohistochemical Detection of JC Polyomavirus in Human Colorectal Polyps in sample of Iraqi Patients. Int J Curr Microbiol App Sci. 2015;4(2):743-55.
- Haggar FA, Boushey RP. Colorectal cancer epidemiology: incidence, mortality, survival, and risk factors. Clinics in colon and rectal surgery. 2009;22(04):191-7.
- Koo JH, Leong RW. Sex differences in epidemiological, clinical and pathological characteristics of colorectal cancer. Journal of gastroenterology and hepatology. 2010;25(1):33-42.
- Kust D, Šamija I, Kirac I, Radi? J, Kova?evi? D, Kusi? Z. Cytokeratin 20 positive cells in blood of colorectal cancer patients as an unfavorable prognostic marker. Acta Clinica Belgica. 2016:1-9.
- Li W, Xiao H, Hong X, Niu W. Predictive value of CK20 in evaluating the efficacy of treatment and prognosis after surgery for colorectal cancer. Genetics and molecular research: GMR. 2015;14(2):5823.
- Wang Y, Liu S, Hao D. [Mutations of APC gene MCR region in sporadic colorectal adenomas and carcinomas]. Zhonghua zhong liu za zhi [Chinese journal of oncology]. 1998;20(4):284-6.
- Barak V, Goike H, Panaretakis KW, Einarsson R. Clinical utility of cytokeratins as tumor markers. Clinical biochemistry. 2004;37(7):529-40.
- Bayrak R, Haltas H, Yenidunya S. The value of CDX2 and cytokeratins 7 and 20 expression in differentiating colorectal adenocarcinomas from extraintestinal gastrointestinal adenocarcinomas: cytokeratin 7-/20+ phenotype is more specific than CDX2 antibody. Diagnostic pathology. 2012;7(1):1.
- Wong SCC, Chan CML, Ma BBY, Hui EP, Ng SSM, San Lai PB, et al. Clinical significance of cytokeratin 20-positive circulating tumor cells detected by a refined immunomagnetic enrichment assay in colorectal cancer patients. Clinical Cancer Research. 2009;15(3):1005-12.
- McGregor DK, Wu T-T, Rashid A, Luthra R, Hamilton SR. Reduced expression of cytokeratin 20 in colorectal carcinomas with high levels of microsatellite instability. The American journal of surgical pathology. 2004;28(6):712-8.
- Vrabie CD, Ceausu M, Petrescu A, Waller M, Dina I. The usefulness of immunohistochemistry in sporadic colorectal cancer. Romanian Journal of Morphology and Embriology. 2008;49(4):525-36.
Cite This Article as:
[Ahmed Hasan Ahmed Guzailan, Mohammed Siddig Abdal-Aziz, Mai Abdul Rahman Masri and Ahmed Abdelbadie Mohammed. (2017); IMMUNOHISTOCHEMICAL EXPRESSION OF CYTOKERATIN 20 (Ck20) IN COLORECTAL TUMORS AMONG SUDANESE PATIENTS. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 5 (1). 698-702] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/2801 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/2801
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.