- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Tracheobronchial injuries are rare injuries that occur in less than 1% of patients following chest trauma. It should be considered in almost all patient presenting with blunt chest trauma. The diagnosis initially depends on careful history and physical examination in addition to high index of suspicion and accurate interpretation of radiological findings. The prompt recognition of the injury, skillful airway management and early treatment greatly reduce morbidity and increase the chances of restoring normal pulmonary function. In case of proximal left main bronchus injury ideally it should be exposed via a right posterolateral thoracotomy. This will provide a good exposure to the left main-stem bronchus and the carina compared to approaching it thorough a left posterolateral thoracotomy where the overlying aortic arch will obscure the field and makes it difficult to repair. We present a case of proximal left main bronchus injury that underwent left posterolateral thoracotomy repair with all difficulties because the left lung was lacerated and single lung isolation was not tolerated.
- Majdi Ibrahim, Hasan Sandogji, Abdallah Allam (2012) 'Avulsion of the right main bronchus due to blunt trauma', Journal of Emergency Medicine, Trauma and Acute Care , (), pp. 2 [Online]. Available at: http://www.qscience.com/doi/pdf/10.5339/jemtac.2012.5 (Accessed: 10 may 2012 ).
- MagdiIbrahim ,MDHamdy D. El ayoty ,MD Hany ELdomiaty ,MD ( 2007) 'SURGICAL EXPERIENCE OF FRACTURE BRONCHUS', The Journal of Egyptian Society of Cardiothoracic Surgery , 15(1,2 ), pp. 134 [Online]. Available at: http://escts.net/upload/file/c09ad97eb691abc5055ab3edc84aa7c3.pdf (Accessed: Jule7 , 2007).
- Ali Cheaito, MD, F.A.C.S,⁎AretiTillou, MD, Catherine Lewis, MD, and Henry Cryer, MD (2016) Traumatic bronchial injury, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5021783/: 2016 Sep 4.
- Andy C. Kiser, MD, Sean M. O?Brien, MS, and Frank C. Detterbeck, MD (2001) 'Blunt Tracheobronchial Injuries: Treatment and Outcomes', THE ANNALS OF THORACIC SURGERY, 71(), pp. 2059-2065 [Online]. Available at: http://www.emergpa.net/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Ann-thorac-Surg-Blunt-tracheal-injuries.pdf (Accessed: November 29, 2011).
- Christos Prokakis, Efstratios N KoletsisEmail author, Panagiotis Dedeilias, FotiniFligou, KritonFilos and DimitriosDougenis (2014) 'Airway trauma: a review on epidemiology, mechanisms of injury, diagnosis and treatment', Journal of Cardiothoracic Surgery, (), pp. [Online]. Available at: https://cardiothoracicsurgery.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1749-8090-9-117 (Accessed: 30 June 2014).
- Jung Joo Hwang, M.D., Young Jin Kim, M.D., Hyun Min Cho, M.D.,corresponding author and Tae Yeon Lee, M.D. (2013) 'Traumatic Tracheobronchial Injury: Delayed Diagnosis and Treatment Outcome', Korean J ThoracCardiovasc Surg., 2(46), pp. 197-201 [Online]. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3680605/ (Accessed: jun2013).
- Tamer Altinok and Axilla Can (2014 Aug 26.) Management of Tracheobronchial Injuries, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4299837/: oct 2014.
- Rahim Mahmodlou and NarimanSepehrvand (2015) 'Tracheobronchial injury due to blunt chest trauma', US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health, 2(5), pp. 116-118 [Online]. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4477389/ (Accessed: Apr-Jun 2015).
- Yasser M. Aljehani, MD, SCC Surg, Mohamed H. Ahmad, MD, FFCTS, Omniah A. Alashgar, MBBS, Mahmoud H. Ashour, FRCS, FEBTCS. (2013) 'Delayed bronchial rupture repair A revisit to mucus basics', saudi medical journal , 34(2), pp. 195-198 [Online]. Available at: www.smj.org.sa/index.php/smj/article/download/592/365 (Accessed: 2013).
[Yasser Aljehani and Elham Al Qarniand Sarah Al Arafah. (2017); A PROXIMAL LEFT MAIN BRONCHIAL INJURY ; A MANAGEMENT DILEMMA Int. J. of Adv. Res. 5 (Feb). 326-329] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Department of Surgery. King Fahad Hospital of the University. University of Dammam. Dammam, Saudi Arabia.
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/3151
DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/3151
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.