Knowledge, Attitude and Practices towards Road Traffic Safety Regulations among Health Science Students in Uttarakhand: A cross-sectional study
- Prof. (Dr) Suresh K. Sharma, Prof cum Principal, AIIMS, College of Nursing, Rishikesh. Uttarakhand, India.
- Ms. Parul Saini, Nursing Tutor, AIIMS, College of Nursing, Rishikesh. Uttarakhand, India.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Background: Every year, more than 20 million people are injured and 1.17 million are killed due to road traffic accidents. According to the WHO, this is the second most important cause of death among 15 to 29 years old. The objective of this study was to determine the knowledge, attitudes and practices of healthcare profession students in Uttarakhand regarding road traffic safety regulations. Materials and Methods:This descriptive cross sectional study was conducted among 150students of Medical (100) and Nursing Science (50) at All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Rishikesh, Uttarakhand. Stratified random sampling technique was used and data was collected using a self-structured questionnaire. Results:Data reveals that majority of them drive two wheelers (84%) and only 3.3% of them had learned driving training from driving school. Furthermore, only 38.7% owe the driving license and 20% of them had history of Road Traffic accident. Moreover, even less than one fourth of the students (18.7%) had high level of knowledge about Road Traffic Safety and mean attitude score was 24.12±3.5 (Mean%, 75.4%). Fortunately, 78.7 % students use indicators while turning, 77.3% always blow horn before overtaking, 85.3% do not prefer driving after drinking alcohol, 66.7% always obey all traffic signals. However, 33% of them endangers their lives by not using helmets, (36%) not wears seatbelt while driving/seating in car (34%) and sometimes using mobile while driving (32.7%). Conclusion:This study reveals that only 18.7% of students has high level of knowledge regarding road traffic safety regulation and majority (81.3%) of them had moderate to low level of knowledge. However, they had good mean score of attitude but still they endanger their lives, probably this has contributed in their inappropriate practices of road traffic safety. Therefore, they require sanitizations program to improve the knowledge, attitude and practice of road traffic safety regulations to reduce the chances of road traffic accidents.
- Global status report on road safety: time for action. Geneva, World Health Organization, 2009 (who.int/violence_injury_prevention/road_safety_status/2009).
- Reang T, Tripura A. Road Safety: knowledge, practice and determinants among undergraduate medical students of Agartala Government Medical College &GovindaBallabh Pant Hospital. Int J Med Sci Public Health 2014;3:911-915.
- Suicides and accidents in India, National Crime Records Bureau, Ministry of Home Affairs. 2013-2014.
- Ministry of Road Transport & Highways.Government of India.Road accidents in India 2010. Available from: URL: http://morth.nic.in/writereaddata/mainlinkFile/File761.pdf
- Gururaj G. Road traffic deaths, injuries and disabilities in India: current scenario. The national Medical Journal of India, 2008, 21: 14-20.
- Reading R. area socioeconomic staus and childhood injury morbidity In New South wales, Australia. Child care health and Development, 2008,34:136.
- Aeron Thomas. The involvement and impact of road crashes on the poor: Bangladesh and India case studies (project PPR010). Crowthrone, United kingdom, Transport research Laboratory,2004(http://www.grsproadsaftey.org/themes/default/pdfs/The%20poor_final%20final%20report.pdf)
- Kulkarni V, Kanchan T, Palanivel C, Papanna MK, Kumar N, Unnikrishnan B. Awareness and practice of road safety measures among undergraduate medical students in a South Indian state.J Forensic Leg Med.2013;20:226-9
- B. Salve, R.K. Dase, V.S. Jadhav, S.M. Mahajan &S.A.Adchitre.A Study on Awareness and Behaviour of Adolescents towards Road Traffic Accidents. International Journal of Current Medical And Applied Sciences, vol.4. Issue:1, September: 2014. PP:33-40.
- Gharaibeh S, Ahmed M Assessment of traffic safety and awareness among youth in Al-Ahsa Region Saudi Arbia . Journal of Emerging Trends in Eng& Applied sciences : 2011; 2; 210-215.
- Ashish Trivedi, DevangRawal. Prevalence of Road traffic accidents and driving practices among young drivers. ISSN 2229-337X, Volume-2 Issue-2, July December 2011.
- Nilsson G.Traffic safety dimension and the power model to describe the effect on speed safety. Lund, Lundinstitute of technology,2004.
- Fitch DJ. Speed , speed limits and accidents (project report 58) . Crowthorne, transport research laboratory,1994
- Transport Research Centre. Speed management report. Paris , OECD publishing, 2006.
- Pasanen E. Ajonopeudetjajalankulkijanturvallisuus [Driving speeds and pedestrian safety] Espoo, TeknilinenKorkeakoulu, Luikennetekniikka, 1991.
- Compton RP. Crash risk of alcohol impaired driving. In: Mahew DR, DussaultC,eds. Proceedings of the16th international conference on alcohol, drugs and traffic safety, montreal, 4-9 august 2002. (http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/t2002/actes/pdf/(06a).pdf.)
- Moskowitz H, Blomberg, M. Burns, D. Fiorentino, R. Peck. Methodological issues in epidemiological studies of alcohol crash risk. In: Mahew DR, DussaultC,eds. Proceedings of the16th international conference on alcohol, drugs and traffic safety, Montreal, 4-9 august 2002. (http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/t2002/actes/pdf/(06a).pdf.)
- Shults R. review of evidence regarding interventions to reduce alcohol-impaired driving.American journal of preventive medicine. 2001;21:66-84.
- Abhishek singh, Anil Bhardwaj, Rambha Pathak, S K Ahluwalia AnEpidemiological study of road traffic accident cases at a tertiary care hospital in rural Haryana, Indian Journalof Community Health July 2011, Vol 23, No.2,7 -11.
- Ghosh P.K. Epidemiological study of the victims of vehicular accidents in Delhi. Journal of Indian Medical Association 1992; 90(12): 309-12
- Sood S. Survey of seven factors Influencing Injury among riders involved in motorized two wheeler accidents in India. A prospective study of 302 cases. Journal of Trauma 1988; 28(4): 530-4.
- Liu B. Helmets for preventing injury in motorcycle riders.The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews.issue 4
- Kraus JF, Peek C, Williams A. Compliance with the 1992 California motorcycle helmet-use law.American Journal of Public Health 1995;85: 96-98
- Servadei F, Begliomini C, Gardini E, M Giustini, Taggi F, Kraus J Effect of italy’s motorcycle helmet law on traumatic brain injuries.Injury Prevention. 2003;9:257-260.
- Elvik R, Vaa T. The handbook of road safety measures.Amsterdam, Elsevier science, 2004.
- Seat-belts and child restraints: increasing use and optimising performance. Brussels, European Transport safety council,1996.
- Motor vehicle occupant protection facts 2006. Washington ,DC, national Highway traffic safety administration, 2008 (http://www.nhtsa.gov/staticfiles/DOT/NHTSA/Traffic%20injury%20Control/Articles/Associated%20files/810654.pdf)
- Zhu M, Cummings P,ChuH&Cook L. J association of rear seat safety belt use with death in a traffic crash:a matched cohort study.Injury Prevention. 2007;13:183-185.
- Peden, M., Scurfield, R., Sleet, D., Mohan, D., Hyder, A. A., Jarawan, E., et al World report on road traffic injury prevention: Geneva: WHO, 2004.
- Seat belts and child restrains: A road safety manual for decision makers and practitioners. London , FIA foundation for the automobile and society,2009.
- Jogdand S keerti, Yerpude N Parvin, Jogdand S Mohini. A study of awareness and behavioural patterns with regard to road safety among medical students in south india. Int J Biol Med Res. 2013;4:3590-3592.
[Suresh K. Sharma and Parul Saini. (2017); Knowledge, Attitude and Practices towards Road Traffic Safety Regulations among Health Science Students in Uttarakhand: A cross-sectional study Int. J. of Adv. Res. 5 (3). 608-614] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/3550 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/3550
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.