AN ANALYSIS OF ARGUMENTATIVE WRITING OF THE FIFTH SEMESTER STUDENTS OF ENGLISH STUDY PROGRAM OF UNIVERSIDADE DILI IN ACADEMIC YEAR 2017.
- Reg. Id. 1611070027, Graduate English Education Program, Post Graduate Program, Nusa Cendana University, 2017.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Dos Santos de Jesus, Emilia. 2017. ?An Analysis of Argumentative writing of the Fifth Semester Students of English Study Program of Universidade Dili in Academic Year 2016/2017?. Supevisors: (I) Prof. Feliks Tans, M.Ed., Ph.D, (II) Dr. Agustinus Semiun, MA. There are two problems to be answered in this writing, namely how the fifth semester students of English Study Program of Universidade Dili write argumentative texts and what their problems are in writing argumentative texts. This writing aims at analyzing students? argumentative writing and finding out their problems in writing argumentative texts. This study employs descriptive qualitative method. It describes deeply the findings related to the aims of study above. The data of this result is taken from the written forms of argumentative texts by the fifth semester students of English Study Program of Universidade Dili. The research shows that the students? argumentative writing is cohesively, coherently, and grammatically correct. However, some other mostly students present in cohesive, incoherent, and grammatically incorrect argumentative texts. Furthermore, there are several problems faced by the students in writing argumentative texts, namely: transferring ideas in writing, lack of vocabularies, problem in using grammar, difficulties to start writing, lack of reading sources, problems in organizing their writing, and inconsistently in developing idea.
- Asih, Anggrani., Wijayanti, Hapsari, Sri., Hendrawati, Sri, Endang, Ika., Candrayani, Amalia. (2006). Mangasah Ketrampilan Menulis Ilmiah di Perguruan Tinggi. Yogyakarta: Graha Ilmu.
- Bachman, F. Lyle. (1990). Fundamental Consideration on Language Testing.
- New York: Oxford University Press.
- Anonym, (2008). Writing Module Three: Five Essential parts of Argumentative.
- Cho, Hee Youn, & Shin, Jeong- Ah. (2014). Cohesive devices in English writing? textbooks and Korean learners? English writing. Korea: Seoul National University.
- Chase, Billian, Beth. (2011). An Analysis of the Argumentative Writing Skills of Academically Underprepared College Students. Colombia: Colombia University.
- Dueraman, Bayatee. (2007). Cohesion and Coherence in English Written by Malaysian and Thai Medical Students. Southern Thailand: Cultural Change Conference.
- El- Gazzar, Kamal, Nevine. (2006). Lexical Cohesive Devices in Arab Students? Academic Writing: Implication for Teaching Vocabulary. American University of Sharjah.
- Erom, Kletus. (2010). ?Applied Linguistic and Research Thesis Writing. Kupang: Teacher Training and Educational Sciences Faculty Widya Mandira Chatolic University.
- Endy, Chris. (2011). How to write an Argumentative Essay. Los Angeles: California State University.
- Garing, G. Alphie. (2014). Coherence in the Argumentative Essay of Year College of Liberal Arts Students at De La Salle University. Manila: University of Batangas
- Hameed, Tahseen, Hind. (2008). Cohesion in text: A discourse Analysis of News Articlein Magazine. Diyala University Haliday, M. A. K. & Hasan, R. (1976). Cohesion in English. London: Longman.
- ????.. (2006). Cohesion and Coherence: Linguistic Approaches. Netherlands: Utrech University
- Iqbal, Mudassar., Mehmood, Asar., Jabeen, Iqra. (2013). Ellipsis, reference and Substitution as Cohesive Devices the Bear by Anton Chekhov. Pakistan: University of Shargoda.
- Hillocks, George. (2010). Teaching Argument for Critical Thinking and Writing: An Introduction. The University of Chicago Kollin, C. Philip, (1994). Successful writingat work. Fourth Edition.
- United States of America: Heat and Company.
- Karolina Intan. (2006). Teaching Narrative Text in Improving writing to the tenth Grade Students os SMA NEGERI 1 Petarukan, pemalang Universitas Negri Semarang. http://lib. Unnes.ac.id/1180/1.2081.pdf. Access on Sunday, December 20,2015. 05.21 am Martutik, Arifin, Bustanul, Rani, Abdul. (2006). Analysis Wacana Sebuah KajianBahasa Dalam Pemakain. Malang: Bayumedia Publishing.
- Mc Carthy, Michael. (2000). Discourse Analysis for Language Teachers.
- New York: Cambridge University press.
- Martinkova, Petra. (2010). Means of Coherence and Cohesion in Spoken and Writen Discourse.
- Nelson, Gerald & Greenbaum, Sidney. (2002). An Introduction to English Second Edition. London: Longman.
- Nunan, David. (2003). Practice English Language Teaching. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- (2007). Teaching Genre-Based Writing. Yogyakarta: Andi Offset.
- Qoerol, Mercedes. (2001). Subtitution as a Device of Grammatical Cohession in English Narrative and it is Translation to Spanish. University of Jaume.
- Salkie, Raphael. (1995). Text and Discourse. New York: Routledge.
- (2014). Metode Penelitinan Kombinasi (Mix Methods). Bandung Alfabeta.
- Siahaan, Sanggam & Shinoda, Konso. (2008). Generic Text Structure. Yogyakarta Graha Ilmu.
- Taringan, Guntur, Henri. (1987). Pengajaran Wacana. Bandung: Angkasa Tans, Feliks. (2014). Writing an Introduction. Kupang: Lima Bintang.
- Yatsuke, Tomoko. (2009). The Nature and Working of Lexical Substitution in English Discourse. Japan: Aichi University of Education.
[Emilia Dos Santos De Jesus. (2017); AN ANALYSIS OF ARGUMENTATIVE WRITING OF THE FIFTH SEMESTER STUDENTS OF ENGLISH STUDY PROGRAM OF UNIVERSIDADE DILI IN ACADEMIC YEAR 2017. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 5 (9). 24-33] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/5296 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/5296
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.