THE IMPACT OF HEALTH EDUCATION INTERVENTION ON KNOWLEDGE AND PERCEPTION OF FEMALE PRIMARY SCHOOL TEACHERS ABOUT FIRST AID OF ASTHMA EXACERBATION AMONG PRIMARY SCHOOL CHILDREN IN MAKKAH AL-MOKARRAMAH CITY, 2016.
- M.B.B.S, Family Medicine Resident.
- Family Medicine Consultant.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
- Primary school teachers should receive training program, organized by MOH in asthma management.
- Refresher seminars and courses should regularly be conducted for teachers to enhance and sustain their knowledge, and first aid management skills towards their students.
- The school environment should provide facilities that help in caring for asthmatic children such as medical records for asthmatic students, anti-asthmatic medications, known therapeutic plan for management of acute asthmatic attacks, poster for how to manage a case of acute asthma, spacer devices, and oxygen cylinder with periodic check up.
- Encourage teachers to allow asthmatic children to practice sports after following preventive measures.
- Further study with a larger sample of teachers from both genders and different disciplines in Makkah is needed to have a better an overview of the situation.
- Al Frayh AR, Shakoor Z, ElRab MO, Hasnain SM. Increased prevalence of asthma in Saudi Arabia. Ann Allergy, Asthma Immunol. 2001;86(3):292?6.
- BinSaeed A a, Torchyan A a, Alsadhan A a, Almidani GM, Alsubaie A a, Aldakhail A a, et al. Determinants of asthma control among children in Saudi Arabia. J Asthma [Internet]. 2014;51(4):435?9. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24344812
- Al-ghazawy O. The rising danger of asthma. Nature Middle East. 2013.79. Available at: Ahttp://www.natureasia.com/en/nmiddleeast/ article/ 10.1038/nmiddleeast.
- Al Ghobain MO, Al-Hajjaj MS, Al Moamary MS. Asthma prevalence among 16- to 18-year-old adolescents in Saudi Arabia using the ISAAC questionnaire. BMC Public Health [Internet]. 2012;12(1):239. Available from: http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2458/12/239
- Mohamed NA, Al-Akad G. The influence of dusty environment (Makka city broken mountains) on bronchial asthma. Egypt J Chest Dis Tuberc [Internet]. 2014;63(2):305?8. Available from: http://linkinghub.elsevier. com/ retrieve/pii/S0422763813002689
- Govender D, Gray A. Knowledge of primary school teachers about asthma: a cross-sectional survey in the Umdoni sub-district, KwaZulu-Natal. S Afr Fam Pract 2012;54(4):347-351
- Tse K, Yu T. Knowledge of asthma and its management: a study in primary schoolteachers in Hong Kong. Hong Kong Pract. 2002;24:4-14.
- Madsen P, Storm K, Johansen A. Danish primary schoolteachers? knowledge about asthma: results of a questionnaire study. Acta Paediatr. 1992; 81(4):413-46.
- French D, Caroll A. Western Australian primary school teachers? knowledge about childhood asthma and its management. J Asthma. 1997;34(6):469-475.
- Bevis M, Taylor B. What do school teachers know about asthma? Arch Dis Child. 1990;65(6):622-625
- Bell H, McElnay J, Hughes C, Gleadhill I. Primary schoolteachers? knowledge of asthma: the impact of a pharmacist intervention. J Asthma. 2000;37(7):545-555
- Bahari K. The level of knowledge on Asthma and its management among primary school teachers in Penang, Malaysia. International Journal of Pharmacy Teaching & Practices 2013; 4(2):601-606
- Seto W, Wong M, Mitchell E. Asthma knowledge and management in primary schools in South Auckland. NZ Med J. 1992;105(937):264-265.
- Latif A. Bahraini school teachers? knowledge of asthma. Middle East J Fam Med. 2004;2(2):1-11.
- Jenkins C, Costello J, Hodge L. Systematic review of the prevalence of aspirin induced asthma and its implications for clinical practice. BMJ. 2004;328(7437)434-437.
- Beutler AI, Chestnut GT, Mattingly JC, Jamieson B. Aspirin use in children for fever or viral syndromes. Am Fam Phys. 2009;80(12):1472-1474.
- Jiwane N, Wadhwa S. Assessment of knowledge, attitude, and practices of teachers regarding childhood asthma in the rural school of Maharashtra, India. Indian Journal of Applied Research 2014; 4(6):1-3
- Eze CN, Ebuehi OM, Brigo F, Otte WM, Igwe SC. Effect of health education on trainee teachers? knowledge, attitudes, and first aid management of epilepsy: An interventional study. Seizure 2015;33; 46?53
- Roberts RM, Aida Farhana HS. The effectiveness of a first aid information video in reducing epilepsy-related stigma. Epilepsy Behav 2010;8:474?80.
- Bozkaya IO, Arhan E, Serdaroglu A, Soysal S, Ozkan S, Gucuyener K. Knowledge of, perception of, and attitudes towards epilepsy of school children in Ankara and the effect of an educational program. Epilepsy Bahav 2010;17:56?63.
- The global campaign against epilepsy. Information pack for the launch of the Global Campaign?s Second Phase, 12?13 February 2001. Geneva World Health Organisation; 2000.
[Hadeel Safi Mujallid and Sarah Saleh. (2017); THE IMPACT OF HEALTH EDUCATION INTERVENTION ON KNOWLEDGE AND PERCEPTION OF FEMALE PRIMARY SCHOOL TEACHERS ABOUT FIRST AID OF ASTHMA EXACERBATION AMONG PRIMARY SCHOOL CHILDREN IN MAKKAH AL-MOKARRAMAH CITY, 2016. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 5 (9). 186-199] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
MBBS, Family Medicine Resident
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/5316 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/5316
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.