SOCIETAL REPRESENTATION OF MANBHUM CHHOW A CASE OF CHHOW MASK MAKERS OF CHARIDA VILLAGE, PURULIA DISTRICT, WEST BENGAL
- Faculty, Post Graduate Department of Geography, Institute of Advanced Studies, (Distance Education Centre, University of Madras), Greek Church Row Extension, Kolkata- 700026.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Chhow is one of the vigorous folk cultures in the world. This is very famous in Charida village of Purulia district along with making Chhow Mask. Almost 85% people of Charida village are profoundly engaged in mask making activity. Both Sutradhar and Tribal community people are engaged in this type of cultural activity. Sutradhar community is eminent for Chhow Mask making while the Tribal community is well known for Chhow Dance. These two communities represent a distinct type of socio-economic attributes on the environment. However, Mask making industry is very much predominant in the small-scale sector of West Bengal and most of the rural people are trying to fulfil their economic desire through this activity in each part of Charida village. This research paper mainly focuses on the societal representation of Manbhum Chhow and the Chhow mask makers of Charida village of Purulia district.
- Bhattacharya, A. (1961). Chhow Dance of Purulia. District Census Handbook, Purulia, Govt. of West Bengal. pp. 22 ? 23.
- Bhattacharya, T. (1986). Purulia. Farma KLM Private Limited, Kolkata
- Ghosh, C. (2011). Bharatiya Shastriya Nritya Ebong Chhou o Banglar Lokanritya. Dey\'s Publishing, Kolkata.
- Ghosh, D. (2012). Banglar Mukhosh. Ananda Publishers Private Limited, Kolkata.
- Mahato, K.C. (2016). Manbhum Sangskriti. Bangiyo Sahitya Samsad, Kolkata.
- Maity, V. (2015). Chhuo Dance in Purulia: Preservation of Bengal. Indian Journal of Applied Research. volume 5. issue 8. pp. 221 ? 223.
- Mukhopadhyay, M. (2015). Folk Dance Forms of Bengal. E. Publishers, Kolkata.
- Sarkar, A. and Mistri, B. (2015). Folk Resource Utilization and Sustainability of Rural Livelihood: An Inquiry on Purulia Chhau Mask Making Art in Chorda Village, Baghmundi C. D. Block, Purulia District. The Journal of Social Science Researcher. volume 4. no.7. pp. 83 ? 96.
- Satpathi, I. D. (2008). Chhou. Loksamskriti O Adivashi Samskriti Kendra, Calcutta.
- Satpathi, S. K. (2002). Purulia-The Home for Chhou Dance, in B. D. Gupta (Ed.). Folk Culture of West Bengal: Chhou. Institute of Art & Handicraft, Kolkata. pp. 13 ? 18.
[Biswajeet Saha. (2017); SOCIETAL REPRESENTATION OF MANBHUM CHHOW A CASE OF CHHOW MASK MAKERS OF CHARIDA VILLAGE, PURULIA DISTRICT, WEST BENGAL Int. J. of Adv. Res. 5 (10). 1729-1741] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/5696 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/5696
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.