- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Quality of Service (QoS) is one of the most important aspects of internet protocol (IP)-based networksespecially because of the network traffic increase in recent years due to the rise of a plethora of multimedia applications. Thus, network operatorsneed robust QoS frameworks to help them achieve traffic prioritization and avoid network congestion.Moreover, these frameworks should be able to apply QoS, on a per-service and per-user basis and services should be charged according to the subscribed QoS. All this should be done in a unified and flexible manner. Policy and Charging Control (PCC) was introduced by the Third Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) in order to fill all those needs in IP Multimedia Subsystem (IMS) networks. This paper aims to survey the evolution of the 3GPP PCC framework from releases 7 to 14.
- Y.Caiet al, ?IP multimedia subsystem online session charging call control?, In Bell Labs Technical Journal, vol. 10, no. 4, 2006, pp. 117-132.
- A E. Garciaet al, ?3GPP towards IMS: Quality of Service and Charging?, Proceedings of the 8th WSEAS international conference on Distance learning and web engineering, 2008, pp. 128-136.
- M.A. Qadeeret al, ?IMS Network Architecture?, In IEEE International Conference on Future Computer and Communication (ICFCC), 2009.
- E.Mulyanaet al, ?IP Multimedia Subsystem: A lab-scale test-bed: Implementation and case study for Click-to-Dial and VoD services?, 6th IEEE International Conference on Telecommunication Systems, Services, and Applications (TSSA),2011.
- T.Russell, ?The IP Multimedia Subsystem (IMS): Session Control and Other Network Operations?, McGraw-Hill Education, 1st edition, ISBN-10: 0071488537 ISBN-13: 978-0071488532, 2008.
- Camarillo and M. A. Garcia-Martin, ?The 3G IP Multimedia Subsystem (IMS): Merging the Internet and the Cellular Worlds?, John Wiley & Sons, 3rd edition, ISBN: 978-0-470-51662-1, 2008.
- 3GPP, ?Service Requirements for the IP Multimedia Core Network Subsystem, Stage 1, Release 5?, 3GPP TS 22.228, 2002.
- Poikselk? and G. Mayer, ?The IMS: IP Multimedia Concepts and Services, 3rd Edition?, John Wiley & Sons, 2009.
- 3GPP, ?IP Multimedia Subsystem (IMS); Stage 2?, Release 5, TS 23.228 V5.15.0, June 2006.
- Navarro and Y. Donoso, ?An IMS Architecture and Algorithm Proposal with QoS Parameters for Flexible Convergent Services with Dynamic Requirements?,In International Journal of Computers Communications and Control, vol. 7, no. 1, March 2012, pp. 123-134.
- Yavatkaret al, ?A Framework for Policy-Based Admission Control?, IETF RFC 2753, January 2000.
- Y-B. Lin and S-I. Sou, ?Charging for Mobile All-IP Telecommunications?, John Wiley & Sons, 2009.
- J-J. Pastor Balb?set al, ?Policy and Charging Control in the Evolved Packet System?,IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 47, no. 2, Feb. 2009.
- Rothenberg and A. Roos, ?A Review of Policy-Based Resource and Admission Control Functions in Evolving Access and Next Generation Networks? In Journal of Network and Systems Management, vol. 16, no. 1, March 2008, pp 14-45.
- Kuhneet al, ?Charging and Billing in Modern Communications Networks - A Comprehensive Survey of the State of the Art and Future requirements?, In IEEE Communications Surveys and Tutorials, vol. 14, no. 1, 2012, pp. 170-192.
- Yan, ?Integration of policy and charging control in the IMS?, Communicate (Huawei), vol. 25, 2006, pp 41-43.
- Kuhneet al, ?Charging in the IP MultimediaSubsystem: A Tutorial?, In IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 45, no. 7, pp 92-99, 2007.
- 3GPP, ?GPRS Enhancements for EUTRAN Access?, 3GPP TS 23.401, 2008.
- 3GPP, ?User Data Convergence; Technical Realization and Information Flows, Stage 2?, 3GPP TS 23.335 version 0.1.0 Release 9, 2009.
- Olsson and C. Mulligan, ?EPC and 4G Packet Networks: Driving the Mobile Broadband Revolution? Academic Press, ISBN-13: 978-0123945952, 19th october 2012, 624 p.
- 3GPP, ?Policy and charging control architecture?, 3GPP TS 23.203 version 14.4.0 Release 14, 2017.
- 3GPP, ?Policy and charging control architecture?, 3GPP TS 23.203 version 13.10.0 Release 13, 2017.
- 3GPP, ?Architecture enhancements to facilitate communications with packet data networks and applications?, 3GPP TS 23.682, 2013.
- 3GPP, ?Architecture enhancements for service capability exposure?, 3GPP TR 23.708, 2014.
- Noble, ?Building Modern Networks?, Packt Publishing, ISBN: 9781786466976, July 2017, 324 p.
- A Toskala and Holma, ?LTE Advanced: 3GPP Solution for IMT-Advanced?, John Wiley & Sons, ISBN: 9781119974055, 15 August 2012, 248 p.
- 3GPP, ?LTE; Traffic steering control; Representational State Transfer (REST) over St reference point?, 3GPP TS 129?155 version 13.0.0 Release 13, 2016.
[M. Dossou, S. Chede, M. Agbomahena, F. N yaba, M. K. Assogba and A. Vianou. (2018); A REVIEW ON 3GPP PCC ARCHITECTURE EVOLUTION FROM RELEASES 7 TO 14. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 6 (12). 1056-1065] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Polytechnic of Abomey-Calavi, University of Abomey-Calavi (Benin)
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/8235 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/8235
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.