EVALUATION OF MACRO NUTRIENT INTAKE OF NATIONAL FEMALE VOLLEYBALL PLAYERS AGED 10-18 YEARS.
- PhD Scholar, Department of Sports Science, Punjabi University, Patiala, Punjab-147002.
- Assistant professor, Department of Sports Science, Punjabi University, Patiala, Punjab-147002.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
The purpose of this study was to assess the Macronutrient intake of NationalFemale volleyball players. The players were provided with questionnaire to fill the general Information and 24-hour dietary recall. Anthropometric measurements include height and weight and BMI was calculated.Questionnaire method was adopted to collect the data. 24 dietary recall was employed to assess the macronutrient intake. Nutrient intake analysis did not include supplements. The results revealed that 31.2 % of the total players fall in ?underweight? Category. Only 7 % and 3.1 % Players fall under Overweight and Obese category respectively. The Nutrient adequacy ratio of all the nutrients among each age group (10-12 yrs, 13-15 yrs and 16-18 yrs) is less than the required. The Intake of Carbohydrateand Protein is also less. Analyzing the BMI and Dietary Intake it was concluded that 31 % of the players were underweight. On the other hand, the intake of Carbohydrate, Protein was very less as per the recommended dietary values for athletes. From the result it was concluded that the players have poor dietary intakes that place them at risk for nutritional shortages and compromised performance so they need professional counseling regarding nutrition practices for optimum health and performance.
- Brownell, K., and J. Rodin. Eating, Body Weight and Performance in Athletes. Philadelphia: Lea and Febiger, 1992.
- Costill, D.L. Inside Running: Basics of Sports Physiology. Indianapolis, IN: Benchmark Press, 1986.
- Scates A.E. Winning Volleyball. Dubuque, IA: Brown & Benchmark, 1993.
- Carey, ?Nutrition: the winning diet,? in Science of Coaching Volleyball, C.McGown, Ed., pp. 130?160, Human Kinetics, Champaign, IL, 1994.
- Margret D.simko, Catherine cowell, Judith A. gil bride, nutrition assessment: a Comprehensive guide for planning intervention, II edition, aspen publication, page no.180
- Potgieter S, BScDietetics, MNutrition- Sport nutrition: A review of the latest guidelines for exercise and sport nutrition from the American College of Sport Nutrition, the International Olympic Committee and the International Society for Sports Nutrition,2013
- Anderson DE. The impact of feedback on dietary intake and body composition of college women volleyball players over a competitive season. Journal of strength and conditioning research / National Strength & Conditioning Association. 2010;24(8):2220-6.
- Hickson JF, Jr., Schrader J, Trischler LC. Dietary intakes of female basketball and gymnastics athletes. J Am Diet Assoc. 1986;86(2):251-3.
- Coyle, E.F. Carbohydrate feedings: effects on metabolism, performance and recovery. Sport Sci. 32:1-14, 1991.
- Tipton KD, Wolfe RR. Protein and amino acids for athletes. Journal of sports sciences. 2004;22(1):65-79.
[Shivani Sharma and Anuradha Lehri. (2019); EVALUATION OF MACRO NUTRIENT INTAKE OF NATIONAL FEMALE VOLLEYBALL PLAYERS AGED 10-18 YEARS. Int. J. of Adv. Res. (1). 66-68] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/8297 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/8297
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.