RECENT ADVANCES IN PULP CAPPING MATERIALS.
- Post Graduate Student, Department of Conservative Dentistry And Endodontics, Yenepoya Dental College,Yenepoya Deemed to be University,Mangalore, Karnataka.
- Professor , Department of Conservative Dentistry And Endodontics,Yenepoya Dental College,Yenepoya Deemed to be University,Mangalore, Karnataka.
- Professor and Head of the Department, Department of Conservative Dentistry And Endodontics, Yenepoya Dental College,Yenepoya Deemed to be University,Mangalore, Karnataka.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Managing immature teeth with pulp exposures due to extensive caries has become more common, particularly with the introduction of new restorative materials. These new materials have demonstrated the capacity to maintain tissue viability for the duration of dental organ development and closure of the apex of root. Historically, calcium hydroxide has been the medicament of choice for traumatic injuries, according to several publications, as it provided the adequate environment for the formation of mineralized tissue due to its high pH and disinfecting properties. Currently, with the development of MTA and other bioceramic materials, techniques have evolved and new opportunities exist for treatment instead of extraction.This article aims at reviewing the various newer materials for pulp capping.
- Robertson A, Andreasen FM, Andreasen JO, Noren JG. Long-term prognosis of crownfractured permanent incisors: the effect of stage of root development and associated luxation injury. (2000):Int J Paediatr Dent;10:191?9.
- Rabie G, Trope M, Tronstad L. Strengthening of immature teeth during long-termendodontic therapy. (1986) Endod Dent Traumatol;2:43?7.
- Katebzadeh N, Dalton BC, Trope M. Strengthening immature teeth during and afterapexification. (1998):J Endod;24:256 ?9.
- Cvek M. Prognosis of luxatednonvital maxillary incisors treated with calcium hydroxide and filled with gutta percha: a retrospective clinical study. (1992): Endod DentTraumatol;8:45?55.
- Love RM. Effects of dental trauma on the pulp. (1997):Pract Periodontics Aesthet Dent;9:427?36, 38 (quiz).
- Shabahang S, Torabinejad M. Treatment of teeth with open apices using mineraltrioxide aggregate. (2000):Pract Periodontics Aesthet Dent;12:315?20, 22 .
- Webber RT. Apexogenesis versus apexification. (1984):DentClin North Am;28:669 ?97.
- Massler M. Preventive endodontics: vital pulp therapy. (1967):DentClin North Am;Nov:663?73.
- Kakehashi S, Stanley HR, Fitzgerald RJ. The effects of surgical exposures of dental pulps in germ-free and conventional laboratory rats. (1965):OralSurg Oral Med Oral Pathol;20:340 ?9.
- Kakehashi S, Stanley HR, Fitzgerald RJ. The effects of surgical exposures of dental pulps in germ-free and conventional laboratory rats. (1966):J South Calif Dent Assoc;34:449 ?51.
- Horsted-Bindslev P, Vilkinis V, Sidlauskas A. Direct capping (2003):OralSurg Oral Med OralPathol Oral RadiolEndod;96:591? 600.
- Trope M, McDougal R, Levin L, May KN Jr, Swift EJ Jr. Capping the inflamed pulp under different clinical conditions. (2002):JEsthetRestor Dent;14:349 ?57.
- Kiba H, Hayakawa T, Nakanuma K, Yamazaki M, Yamamoto H. Pulpal reactions to two experimental bonding systems for pulp capping procedures. (2000):J Oral Sci;42:69 ?74.
- Ulmansky M, Sela J, Langer M, Yaari A. Response of pulpotomy wounds in normalhuman teeth to successively applied Ledermix and Calxyl. Arch Oral Biol(1971);16:1393? 8.
- Schroder U, Granath LE. Scanning electron microscopy of hard tissue barrier followingexperimentalpulpotomy of intact human teeth and capping with calcium hydroxide.Odontol Revy (1972);23:211?20.
- Schroder U. Evaluation of healing following experimental pulpotomy of intact humanteeth and capping with calcium hydroxide. Odontol Revy (1972);23:329?40.
- Fuks AB. Pulp therapy for the primary dentition. In: Pinkham JR, Casamassimo PS, Fields HW Jr, McTigue DJ,
- Nowak A, eds. Pediatric Dentistry: Infancy Through Adolescence.(2005) 4th St. Louis, Mo: Elsevier SaundersCo;:375-93.
- American Association of Endodontists. Glossary of Endodontic Terms. 7th Chicago, Ill: American Associa-tionofEndodontists; (2003).
- American Association of Endodontists. Systematic en-dodontic diagnosis. Insert to the Fall/Winter edition of Endodontics: Colleagues for Excellence; (1996).
- McDonald RE, Avery DR, Dean JA. Management of trauma to the teeth and supporting tissues. In: Dentistry for theChild and Adolescent.(2004) 8th St Louis, Mo: Mosby Inc;:455-502.
- Coll JA, Sadrian R. Predicting pulpectomy success and its relationship to exfoliation and succedaneous dentition.(1996 )Pediatr Dent;18(1):57-63.
- Camp JH, Fuks AB. Pediatricendodontics: Endodontic treatment for the primary and young permanent dentition.(2006) In: Cohen S, Hargreaves KM, eds. Pathways of the Pulp. 9th ed. St. Louis, Mo: Mosby Elsevier;:834-59.
- Farooq NS, Coll JA, Kuwabara A, Shelton P. Success rates of formocresolpulpotomy (2000):Pediatr Dent;22(4):278-86.
- Fuks AB. Current concepts in vital pulp therapy. (2002):Eur J Pediatr Dent;3(3):115-20.
- Vij R, Coll JA, Shelton P, Farooq NS. Caries control and other variables associated with success of primary molarvital pulp therapy. (2004):Pediatr Dent;26(3):214-20.
- Murray PE, About I, Franquin JC, Remusat M, Smith AJ. Restorative pulpal and repair responses. (2001):J Am Dent Assoc;132(4):482-91.
- Holan G, Eidelman E, Fuks AB. Long-term evaluation of pulpotomy in primary molars using mineral trioxide aggregate or formocresol. (2005):Pediatr Dent;27(2):129-36.
[Jeslee Ann Jose, Prathap M.S and K. Harish S. Shetty. (2019); RECENT ADVANCES IN PULP CAPPING MATERIALS. Int. J. of Adv. Res. (1). 121-127] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Post graduate Student,Department of Conservative Dentistry And Endodontics, Yenepoya Dental College,Yenepoya Deemed to be University,Mangalore, Karnataka
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/8304 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/8304
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.