A STUDY OF EMPLOYEE PERCEPTIONS OF OUTSOURCING OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY OPERATIONS IN BANKING SECTOR.
- Postgraduate Department, International College of Business and Technology, Kandy, Sri Lanka.
- Faculty of IT and Science, International College of Business and Technology, Kandy, Sri Lanka.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
The Information Technology (IT) outsourcing poses a potential job loss threat to IT professionals. This study investigated the perception level of employees directly involved in IT outsourcing, deals in an effort to relate these perceptions to factors identified in earlier studies. The following human resource factors associated with outsourcing were evaluated: skills, control, job security and job satisfaction. The study uses an adopted model from a previous study and evaluated four hypotheses that contended differences in perception in terms of demographic factors. The study used survey questionnaire to collect primary data from the entire population of 52 permanent employees of IT department of a leading private bank. The collected data was analyzed by the use of descriptive and inferential data analysis methods. It was revealed that permanent employees in this organization had a negative perception towards IT outsourcing. Further the results show employeesbelongs to different age levels have significantly different level of perception on IT Outsourcing.
- Anderson, C.R, & Paine, F.T. (1975). Managerial Perceptions and Strategic behavior. Academy of Management Journal, 18, 811?23.
- Ang, S. & Slaughter, S.A.(2000). The Missing Context of Information Technology Personnel: A Review and Future Directions for Research. Framing the Domains of IT Management, Projecting the Future through the Past.
- Ang, S., & Straub, D.(1998). Production and Transaction Economies and IS Outsourcing: A Study of the U. S. Banking Industry. MIS Quarterly ,22(4).
- Barber, P.J., &Legge, D.(1976). Perception and Information. London. Methuen.
- Barako, D., &Gatere, B.(2008). Outsourcing Practices of the Kenyan Banking Sector. Curtin University of Technology, Australia.
- Bear, G.G, Manning, M.A., & Izard, C.E.(2003). Responsible behaviour: The importance of social cognition and emotion. School Psychology Quarterly, 18,140?157.
- Becker, G.(1964). Human capital: A theoretical and empirical analysis with special reference to education. New York: Columbia University Press.
- Berelson, B., & Steiner, G.A.(1964). Human behavior: An inventory of scientific findings. New York, NY: Harcourt, Brace & World.
- Chang, Y.B .,&Gurbaxani, V.(2012). Information Technology Outsourcing, knowledge transfer, and firm productivity: An empirical analysis.
- Chen, L.H.(2008). Job satisfaction among information system (IS) Personnel. Computers in Human Behavior, 24, 105-118.
- Cooper, C.L.(1999). Can we live with the changing nature of work? Journal of Managerial Psychology, 14,569-572.
- Dhar, S., & Balakrishnan, B.(2006). Risks, benefits, and challenges in global IT outsourcing: Perspectives and practices. Journal of Global Information Management (JGIM.), 14(3), 9-89.
- Duhamel, F., Gutierrez-Martinez, I., Picazo-Vela, S., & Luna-Reyes, L. (2014). IT outsourcing in the public sector: A conceptual model. Transforming Government: People, Process and Policy, 8(1), 8-27. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/TG-05-2013-0012.
- European Central Bank.(2004). Report on EU banking structure, [online] Available at: https://www.ecb.europa.eu/home/search/html/index.en.html?q=+Outsourcing+2004. [Accessed 17 Jul. 2017].
- Fill, C, & Visser, E.(2017). The outsourcing dilemma: a composite approach to the make or buy decision | Management Decision |38, No 1. Emeraldinsight.com.[online]
- Fritsch, M, &W?llenweber, K.(2007). Firm-level determinants of Business Process Outsourcing Decisions. IRMA.
- Fung, H.P.(2013). Using porter five forces and technology acceptance model to predict cloud computing adoption among IT outsourcing service providers. Internet Technologies and Applications Research ITAR,1(2),18-24.
- Galanaki, E., Bourantas, D., &Papalexandris.(2008). A Decision Model for Outsourcing Training Functions: Distinguishing Between Generic and Firm Job Specific Training Content. The International Journal of Human Resource Management.
- Ganster, D., & Rosen, C.(2013). Work stress and employee health: A Multidisciplinary review. Journal of Management,
- Gartner IT Glossary.com.(2017). Outsourcing Definition - IT Outsourcing - Gartner IT Glossary. [online] Available at: http://www.gartner.com/it-glossary/it-outsourcing. [Accessed20 Jul. 2017].
- Gorla, N., & Somers, T M.(2014). The impact of IT outsourcing on information systems success. Information & Management.
- Gray, J., Tomlin, B & Roth, A.(2009). Outsourcing to a Powerful Contract Manufacturer: The Effect of Learning-by-Doing. Production and Operations Management.,18(5),487-505.
- Hackman, J.R., & Oldham, G.R.(1980). Work redesign. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley.
- (2017). IT Outsourcing: Make it work for your Business?. [Online].Available at: https://www.itmanagerdaily.com/it-outsourcing. [Accessed20 Jul. 2017].
- Kanfer, R., & Ackerman, P.L.(2004). Aging adult development and work motivation. Academy of Management Review, 29, 440?458.
- Lacity, M. & Willcocks, L.(2012). Outsourcing business and I.T. services: The evidence of success, robust practices and contractual challenges. Legal Information Management,12(1),2-8.
- Langton, N., & Robbins, S.(2006). Organizational Behavior. Toronto: Pearson Prentice Canada.
- Lopez, J.(2004). Outsourcing by Financial Services Firms: The Supervisory Response. Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco. [online].Available at: http://www.frbsf.org/economic-research/publications/economic letter/2004/november/outsourcing-by-financial-services-firms-the-supervisory-response/.[Accessed19 Jul. 2017].
- Louis, L.(2002). Employee Perceptions of Outsourcing of Information Technology Operations: An Empirical Investigation. Nova South Eastern University.
- Madsen, S., Miller, D., & Cameron, J.(2005). Readiness for organizational change: do organizational commitment and social relationships in the workplace make a difference?. Human Resource Development Quarterly, 16(2),213?234.
- Maigua, A.(2015). Information technology outsourcing and employee perceptions at Keswick books and gifts limited in Kenya. Hdl.handle.net. [online] Available at: http://hdl.handle.net/11295/93054. [Accessed 21 Jul. 2017].
- Palvia, P., &Parzinger, M.(1995). Information systems outsourcing in financial institutions. In Khosrowpour, M. (Ed.), Managing Information Technology Investments with Outsourcing, Harrisburg, PA: Idea Group Publishing, 129-154.
- Piyasena, K.K.L.(2006). Outsourcing of Banking Activities: Emerging trends and Challenges.
- Pujals, Ayadi, Rym&Georges(2004). Banking Consolidation in the EU: Overview and Prospects. CEPS Reports in Finance and Banking No. 34, 1 May 2004 - Archive of European Integration. Aei.pitt.edu [Online] Available at:
- Robinson, J .R.(2016). Role of Outsourcing in Stress and Job Satisfaction. Walden University, College of Management and Technology.
- Rose‐Anderssen, C., Baldwin, J., & Ridgway, K.(2011). Commercial aerospace supply chains. Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, 22(1), 66-89.
- Solinger, O.N., Van Olffen, W., & Roe, R.A.(2008). Beyond the Three-Component Model of Organizational Commitment. Journal of Applied Psychology,93, 70?83.
- Vithessonthi, C.(2005). A Perception-Based View of the Employee: A Study of Employees? Reactions to Change. University of St. Gallen, Graduate School of Business Administration.
- Winkleman, M.(2017). Time to Do or Die. Journal of Business Strategy, 14(5).
[Amila Bandarawatta and Prabu Premkumar. (2019); A STUDY OF EMPLOYEE PERCEPTIONS OF OUTSOURCING OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY OPERATIONS IN BANKING SECTOR. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 7 (2). 6-14] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Postgraduate Department, International College of Business and Technology, Kandy, Sri Lanka
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/8456 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/8456
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.