SEASONAL VARIATIONS IN NUTRIENT CONCENTRATION OF JUICE AND SKIN OF TEN GRAPE (VITIS VINIFERA L.) GENOTYPES.
- Department of Botany, Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana-141004, India.
- Department of Fruit Science, Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana-141004, India.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
The nutrient status of grape berries is not only of interest to the viticulturists but also to oenologists because of their impact on juice nutritional value. The aim of the study was to determine the total potassium, total calcium and nitrogen in the berry skin and juice of ten grape genotypes grown in northwestern India. The total potassium, calcium and nitrogen content in the grape genotypes varied significantly in berry skin, juice and evaluation years. Among the grape genotypes maximum calcium was recorded in Punjab MACS Purple in skin ( 0.497 mg/l) and juice (0.403mg/l) at ripened stage. The maximum potassium was also at ripened stage in the skin of H-27(2.800%) and juice of Perlette( 1.610%). However, nitrogen content was maximum in the skin of Merlot(0.336mg/l) and juice of Perlette( 0.184%) at green stage. This study suggests that the selected grape genotypes are the potential sources of essential mineral nutrients.
- A O A C. 1990 Methods of analysis. 10th Edition, Washington DC, USA.
- Blouin, J; Cruege, J; 2003. Analyse et Composition des Vins: Comprendre le Vin, Editions La Vigne, Dunod, Paris, FrancePp. 304
- Bradfield, E. G; Spincer, D. J; 1965. Leaf analysis as a guide to the nutrition of fruit crops-determination of magnesium, zinc and copper by atomic absorption spectroscopy. Sci. Food Agric.16(1): 33-38
- Cabanne, C; Doneche, B; 2003. Calcium accumulation and redistribution during the development of the grape berry. Vitis 42: 19-21.
- Chardonnet, C; Doneche, B; 1995. Relation entre la teneur en calcium et al resistance a la digestion enzymatique du tissupelliculaire au cours de la maturation du raisin. Vitis34: 95-98
- Conde, C. P; Silva, N; Fontes, A. C. P; Dias, R. M; Sousa, M. J; 2007. Biochemical changes throughout grape berry development and fruit and wine quality. Food 1: 1-22
- Cosgrove, D. J ; 1997. Relaxation in a high stress environment: the molecular bases of extensible cell walls and cell enlargement.?Plant Cell 9:1031-1041
- Etchebarne, F; Ojeda, H; Deloire, A; 2009. Influence of water status on mineral composition of berries in ?Grenache Noir? (Vitisvinifera). Vitis 48: 63-68
- Greenspan, M. D; Schultz, H. R; Matthews, M. A; 1996. Field evaluation of water transport in grape berries during water deficits. Plant. 97: 55-62
- Hager, A; Menzel, H; Krauss, A ; Versuche und hypothesezurprimarwirkung des auxinsbeimshtrekungswachstum.?Planta100:47-75
- Huang, X; Huang, H; 2001.?Early post-verasion growth in grapes: evidence for a two-step mode of berry enlargement. J. Grape Wine Res. 7:?132-136
- Lang, A ; Thorpe, M. R; 1989. Xylem, phloem and transpiration flows in a grape: Application of a technique for measuring the volume of attached fruits to high resolution using Archimedes? Principle. J. Bot 40: 1069-1078
- Mullins, M. G; Bouquet, A; Williams, L. E; 1996. Biology of the grapevine. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge
- Rogiers, S. Y; Greer, D. H; Hatfield, J. M; Orchard, B .A; Kelle, M; 2006 Mineral sinks within ripening grape berries (Vitisvinifera). Vitis 45 (3):115-123
- Rogiers, S. Y; Smith, J .S; White, R; Keller, M; Holzapfel, B. P; Virgona ,J .M; 2001.Vascular function in berries of Vitisvinifera (L) cv. Shiraz. J. Grape Wine Res 7:47-51.
- Welch, R. M. 1986. Effects of nutrient deficiencies on seed production and quality. Ad Plant Nutri. 2: 205-247.
[Shafia Bashir, Nirmaljit Kaur, PPS Gill and N.K Arora. (2019); SEASONAL VARIATIONS IN NUTRIENT CONCENTRATION OF JUICE AND SKIN OF TEN GRAPE (VITIS VINIFERA L.) GENOTYPES. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 7 (3). 21-31] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Department of Botany,Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana, 141004
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/8594 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/8594
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.