EFFECT OF FOOT EXERCISE AND WARM WATER FOOT SOAK ON FOOT EDEMA AMONG ANTENATAL WOMEN - A LITERATURE REVIEW.
- M sc. Nursing, ManikakaTopawala Institute of Nursing, CHARUSAT, Gujarat.
- Assistant Professor and HOD, Dept. of Obstetrics &Gynaecological Nursing, ManikakaTopawala Institute Of Nursing CHARUSAT Gujarat.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
The researchers? aims to evaluate the effect of foot exercise and warm water foot soak on foot edema among antenatal women during pregnancy. There are many physiological changes taking place during pregnancy. The anatomic and physiologic changes occurring with pregnancy result in a variety of symptoms affecting the lower extremity .In which leg and foot edema is caused by the abnormal fluid retention in the tissues of the lower extremities. As the natural weight gain increases during pregnancy, the centre of gravity changes, adding excessive pressures to the knees, ankles, and feet. Edema (swelling) and over pronation (flat feet) are the two of the most common foot problems that are occurs in antenatal period Edema is common normal physiological change in late pregnancy. Warm water foot soak therapy is one of the hydrotherapeutic measure, which promotes muscle relaxation, relieves pain, dilates blood vessel and promotes circulation, relaxes the connective tissue and provides a soothing and healing effect .Exercising the feet on a regular basis not only improves overall foot health, but may also reduce risk for injury foot exercise, improves blood circulation, increases venous return, improves, muscles strengthening cardiovascular health and can help in circulation, muscle tone, and mood. So in an attempt to study which intervention foot exercise or warm water foot soak is better in relieving foot edema among antenatal women the researchers did a thorough literature review.
- Jill C. Fehrenbacher, Michael R. Vasko, Djane B. DuarteCurrProtocPharmacol. Author manuscript; available in PMC 2015 Dec 18.Published in final edited form as: CurrProtocPharmacol. 2012 Mar; 0 5: Unit5.4\"International journal on future revolution in medical science: the carrageenan edema assay, cited on 28th april, 2018:available on https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4683998/
- Holistic Online :Alternative therapy: cited on 28th april,2018:available onHydrotherapy holistic online.com; http://www.info@ holistic online
- NahedFikry Hassan Khedr, N.F 1 ,Dr.RedaHemida, Effect of Leg Elevation versus Water Immersion on Leg Edema in Third Trimester of Pregnancy, IOSR Journal of Nursing and Health Science (IOSR-JNHS), (Nov. - Dec. 2016),Volume 5, Issue 6, PP 01-09 available from http://www.iosrjournals.org/iosr-jnhs/papers/vol5-issue6/Version-1/A0506010109.pdf
- Darryl J Cochrane; physical therapy in sports alternating hot and cold water immersion for athlete recovery: Department of management, New Zealand; February 2004 Volume 5, Issue 1, Pages 26?32;[ONLINE]Available form https://www.physicaltherapyinsport.com/article/S1466-853X(03)00122-6/abstract
- AlbertasSkurvydas, SigitasKamandulis, AleksasStanislovaitis, VytautasStreckis, GediminasMamkus, and AdomasDrazdauskas (2008) Leg Immersion in Warm Water, Stretch-Shortening Exercise, and Exercise-Induced Muscle Damage. Journal of Athletic Training: Nov/Dec 2008, Vol. 43, No. 6, pp. 592-599.
- JenniferGregorLailaDeardorff,VernKatzMDabEdema of pregnancy: a comparison of water aerobics and static immersion Sacred Heart Medical Center, Eugene, Oregon, USA Available online 23 January 2004.Available from https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0029784499004147
- Sabine Hartmann ,Renate Huch ; ActaObstetricia et GynecologicaScandinavicaResponse of pregnancy leg edema to a single immersion exercise session, published: 16 November 2005, Volume84, Issue12 , Available from; https://obgyn.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.0001-6349.2005.00829.x
- L Mollart - -Single-blind trial addressing the differential effects of; Science Direct2003; available on; https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1353611703000544
- ?oban A, Şirin A. International Journal of Nursing Practice 2010; 16: 454?460Effect of foot massage to decrease physiological lower leg oedema in late pregnancy: A randomized controlled trial in Turkey 20 September 2010 available on ;https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-172X.2010.01869.x\\
- JM Irion, GL Irion - Journal of Women\'s Health Physical Therapy,Water immersion toreduce peripheral edema in pregnancy,2011; available on; https://scholar.google.co.in/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C5&q=To++effect+of+Water+Immersion+to+Reduce+Peripheral+Ea+in+Pregnancy&btnG.
[Mamta Vasaiya and Anjali Tiwari. (2019); EFFECT OF FOOT EXERCISE AND WARM WATER FOOT SOAK ON FOOT EDEMA AMONG ANTENATAL WOMEN - A LITERATURE REVIEW. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 7 (3). 83-87] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
M sc. Nursing , Manikaka Topawala Institute of Nursing, CHARUSAT, Gujarat.
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/8603 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/8603
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.