- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
The purpose of this study was to identify and select best parents and best hybrid combinations through the study of heterosis and the combining ability of six spring barley varieties (Martin, Taj, Ardhaoui, Sahli, Rihane and Salmas) and their F1?s progenitors among a 6x6 complete diallel fashion. The experiment was done at Beja INRAT experimental station. Spike length, grain number per spike, thousand kernel weight, beta glucan content and protein content were investigated. Results for analysis of variance revealed highly significant differences among all the F1 hybrid means and their respective six parental values for all the characters studied. The best crosses were (Sahli x Salmas) for protein content, (Taj x Salmas) for grain number per spike, (Sahli x Ardhaoui) for thousand kernel weight and (Martin x Taj) for beta glucan content. Martin x Salmas is the best specific cross for thousand kernel weight. It had been showed that it is very difficult to transgress characters such as quality from improved genotypes to local landraces. On the basis of GCA effects, 5 parents, Taj, Ardhaoui, Sahli, Rihane and Salmas were found good general combiners for seed quality traits. Among the included parents in the investigated genotypes, local cultivar Sahli is the proven positive common genitor to improve grain quality.
- Aghamiri S. M., Mostafavi K. and Mohammadi A. (2012). Genetic study of agronomic traits in barley based diallel cross analysis. Advances in Environmental Biology. 6(1): 62-68.
- Agronomix Software Inc., Canada, 1999.
- Ahmad Z., Kumar P., Katiyar R.P. and Gupta R.R. (1979). Heterosis in macaroni wheat. Indian Journal of Genetics and Plant Breeding. 39: 279 - 284.
- Akgun N. and Topal A. (2011). Regression analysis of grain weight per plant in barley crosses. Bulgarian Journal of Agricultural Science. 17: 773-776.
- Andersson A. A. M., Elferson C., Andersson R., Regner S. and Aman P. (1999). Chemical and physical characteristics of different barley samples. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. 79: 979-986.
- Bettaieb-Ben Kaab L., El Felah M., Ghorbal M. H. and Lauri?re M. (2005). Relationships between some hordein components and quality properties in two Tunisian barley varieties as influenced by nitrogen fertilization. Czech Journal of Genetics and Plant Breeding. 41(1): 11-16.
- Bhadouria S. S., Singh K. P. and Shrivastava P. S. (1976). Heterosis in common wheat Triticum aestivum. Jawaharlal Nehru Krishi Vishwa Vidyalaya Research Journal. 10: 219- 225.
- Comstock R. E. and Robinson H. F. (1952). Estimation of the average dominance of genes. Heterosis. pp: 494-516.
- Dhonukshe B. L. and Rao M. V. (1979). Heterosis in durum wheat. Indian Journal of Genetics and Plant Breeding. 39: 285 - 291.
- El Felah M. and Medimagh S. (2005). Food barley in Tunisia. In Grando, S. and G. H. MacPerson, (Eds.), Food Barley: Importance, Uses and Local Knowledge. Proceedings of the International Workshop on Food Barley Improvement, Aleppo, Syria, ICARDA 29-35.
- Fejer S.O. and Fedak G. (1978): Heterosis in Conventional and Short Straw Barley Crosses. Zeitsch fur Pflanzenzuchtung. 80: 250-260.
- Griffing B. 1956. Concept of general and specific combining ability in relation to diallel crossing system. Australian Journal of Biological Sciences. 9: 463-493.
- Hill J., Wagoire W. W., Oritz R. and Stlen O. (2001). Analysis of a combined F1/F2 diallel cross in wheat. Theoretical and Applied Genetics. 102(6-7): 1076-1081.
- Holthaus J. F., Holland J. B., White P. J. and Frey K. J. (1996). Inheritance of b-glucan content of oat grain. Crop Science. 36:567?572.
- Hung H. Y., Browne C., Guill K., Coles N., Eller M., Garcia A., Lepak N., Hancock S. M., Rosas M. O., Salvo S., Upadyayula N., Buckler E. S., Garcia S. F., McMullen M. D., Rocheford T. R. and Holland J. B. (2012).The relationship between parental genetic or phenotypic divergence and progeny variation in the maize nested association mapping population. Heredity, 108: 490?499.
- Islam M., White H. and Kone N. T. (2006). Inheritance of beta-glucan content of hulless barley grain. Journal of Plant Genetics. 21: 457-463.
- Jatasra D.S., Parodar S. and Waldia R. S. (1980). Hybrid vigor in an 8 parent diallel cross for yield and its components in wheat. Haryana Agricultural University Journal of Research. 10: 317- 323.
- Madic M., Knezevic D., Paunovic A. and Durovic D. (2012). Genetic analysis of spike traits in two- and multi-rowed barley crosses. Genetika. 44(3): 475-482.
- Matzingar, D.F, Mann, T.J and Cockerham, C.C. (1962). Diallel crosses in Nicotiana tabaccum. Crop Science. 2: 383-386.
- Medimagh S., El Felah M. and El Gazzah M. (2012). Barley breeding for quality improvement in Tunisia. African Journal of Biotechnology. 11(89): 15516-15522. ISSN 1684-5315.
- Medimagh S., El Felah M. and El Gazzah M. (2016). General and specific combining ability analysis for quantitative characters in Tunisian Spring Barley. Transylvanian Review. 24(11): 3210-3216.
- Melchinger A.E. (1999). Genetic diversity and heterosis. In: Coors JG and Pandey S (eds) The Genetics and Exploitation of Heterosis in Crops, CCSA, ASA, and SSA: Madison, WI, USA. pp 99-118.
- Nasrallah A. M., Kumar G. and Kuchel B. (2007). Gene action for protein content in hulless barley (Hordeum vulgare ). Journal of Plant Genetics. 13: 88-92.
- Perenzin M., Corbellini M. and Borghi B. (1987). Growth analysis of ten bread wheat hybrids Triticum aestivum produced with a chemical hybridizing agent. Genetic Agrar. 41: 163-172.
- Singh R. K. And Behl R. K. (1991). Genetic divergence in relation to combining ability and transgression in wheat. Journal of Genetics and Breeding. 45 (2): 147- 150.
- Soehendi R. and Srinives P. (2005). Significance of heterosis and heterobeltiosis in an F1 hybrid of mungbean (Vigna radiata ) Wilczek) for hybrid seed production. SABRAO Journal of Breeding and Genetics 37(2) 97-105.
- Sprague G. F. and Tatum L. A. (1942). General vs specific combining ability in single crosses of corn. Journal of the American Society of Agronomy. 34: 923-932.
- Subhaschandra B. (2007). Genetic analysis in tetraploid wheat. M.Sc. thesis. College of Agriculture, University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad. 69 p.
- Timm B., Wolfgang F., Kai P., Voss-Fels., Matthias F., Rod J. Snowdon, and Wittkop B. (2017). Heterosis for Biomass and Grain Yield Facilitates Breeding of Productive Dual-Purpose Winter Barley Hybrids. Crop Science. 57:1?14.
- Yao W. H., Zhang Y. D., Kang M. S., Chen H. M., Liu L., Yu L. J. and Fan X. M. (2013). Diallel analysis models: A comparison of certain genetic statistics. Crop Science. 53: 1481-1490.
- Yilmaz Z. R. and Konak C. (2000). Heterotic effects regarding salt tolerance in some characters of barley. Turkish Journal of Agriculture and Forestry. 24 (6): 643-648.
[Sana Medimagh and Mouldi El Felah. (2019); HETEROSIS ANALYSIS FOR SEED QUALITY TRAITS IN SPRING BARLEY. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 7 (7). 52-57] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/9324 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/9324
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.