A STUDY OF LIPID PROFILE IN RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS.
- Third-year postgraduate, Department of Biochemistry, Kurnool Medical College, Kurnool, Andhra Pradesh, India.
- Professor and Head of Department of Biochemistry, Kurnool Medical College, Kurnool Andhra Pradesh, India.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Introduction:Rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic systemic inflammatory autoimmune disease, usually involving peripheral joints in a symmetric distribution. Lipids contribute to synovitis in RA through participation in the arachidonic acid pathway within joint space. Aims &Objectives:To study lipid profile along with different atherogenic indices among RA patients & to compare it with healthy matched controls Materials & Methods:This study conducted in the Department of Biochemistry, GGH, KurnoolMedical college, with 25 diagnosed cases of RA and 25 controls over six months Results:In RA cases, females outnumbered males, around 76% of cases are females.The present study shows that 37.5% of RA cases were of the age group of 31-40Yr,32% of the RA cases were of 20-30 Years of age, 28% of RA cases were of age group 41-50 & 6.5% of RA cases were of age 51-60Yrs. A higher index implies an increased cardiovascular risk, and lowering this ratio has shown decrease this risk. Discussion:Total cholesterol, Triglycerides VLDL &LDLamong increased, HDL cholesterol decreased among RA study group compared to the control group Conclusion:The present study showed that RA predominantly found among the middle-aged female population. Patients with RA have significantly lower values of HDL compared to controls10. Significantly higher values of other parameters of lipid profile found among RA patients. Higheratherogenic indices indicate higher cardiovascular risk among RA patients.
- Rheumatoid arthritis and psoriasis: Association or coincidence?Akasbi N, Abourazzak FE, Harzy T. Rheumatoid arthritis and psoriasis: Association or coincidence? OA Case Reports 2014 Jan 18;3(1):6.
- Predictors of endothelial dysfunction and atherosclerosis in rheumatoid arthritis in Indian populationInderjeetVermaaAshitSynglebPawanKrishanahttps://doi.org/10.1016/j.ihj.2016.10.013.
- Miguel A Gonzalez-Gay,Carlos Gonzalez-Juanatey Inflammation & lipid profile in rheumatoid arthritis:bridging an apparent paradox Ann Rheum Dis July 2014 Vol 73 No 7.
- Uzma Erum, Tasnim Ahsan, Danish khowaja lipid abnormalities in patients with Rheumatoid arthritis.
- Tietz textbook of clinical chemistry and molecular diagnostics 5E
- Harrison?s principles of internal medicine textbook of medicine 19e
- Daniel Li, Alex Meara assessment of cardiovascular disease in rheumatoid arthritis patients Arch Gen Intern Med 2017 Volume I Issue 3 ISSN: 2591-7951
- Schicheng Guo, Rongsheng Wang alterations and diagnosis potential of serum lipid profiles in rheumatoid arthritis patients Int J Clin Exp Pathol2017;10(3):3503-3509
- Soorbia Karim Ansari &Dr Geeta Jaiswal raised lipid profile in rheumatoid arthritis- A risk for CVD (IOSR-JBB) ISSN: 2455-264X, Volume 2, Issue 1
- Asitava Roy, Abhishek Dubey study of serum lipid profile and vitamin E in Rheumatoid arthritis Int J Bio Med Res.2016;7: 5544-5546.
- Douglas White, Sayed Fayez, Alan Doube Atherogenic lipid abnormalities in rheumatoid arthritis NZMJ, Vol119 No 1240
- Kuo-Wei Yeh, Chi-Ming Lee, Chee-Jen Chang, Yu-jr Lin, Jing-Long Huang lipid profiles alter from pro-atherogenic into less atherogenic and proinflammatory in juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis patients responding to AntiTNF ?α treatment
- Sherine Gabriel Cardiovascular morbidity and mortality in Rheumatoid arthritis Am J Med.2008 Oct; 121(10 suppl 1): S9-14.
- Clement E.Furlong, Judit Marsillach, Gail P.Jarvik, Lucio G.Costa Paroxonases-1,-2,-3, Chem Biol Interact.2016 Nov 25;259(Pt B):51-62.
[R. Jaya Vaishnavi and A. Padmavijayasree (2019); A STUDY OF LIPID PROFILE IN RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 7 (8). 74-77] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/9475 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/9475
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.