ANTITHYMOCYTE GLOBULIN, METHYLPREDNISOLONE AND CYCLOSPORINE IS AN EFFECTIVE TREATMENT IN SEVER APLASTIC ANEMIA.
- A specialist physician at Al-Nuaman Teaching Hospital.
- A general surgeon at Al-Nuaman Teaching Hospital.
- Autolarygological specialist, (Audiology).
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Background: Immune suppressive therapy in severe aplastic anemia is considered now a standard treatment and it could be an alternative to the hemopoietic stem cell transplantation. Patients and methods: Thirteen Iraqi patients with severe aplastic anemia were included in this study. The place of work was in national center of hematology and center of bone marrow transplantation. They were treated with antithymocyte globulin infusion for 5 days, then continued on oral prednisolone for 28 days. The monitoring of the patients was done by complete blood count. Results: The response to the treatment was observed in 7 patients. 53% had CR and 38% had PR there was significant improvement in the WBC and platelet counts, but there were no significant changes in the HB levels. There was no difference between sex in response to treatment. Those patients who were considered non responders were six, the death rate was 15% and allergic reaction occur in one patient 7%. Conclusion: Antithymocyte globulin, methylprednisolone and cyclosporine is an effective treatment in severe aplastic anemia.
- Dinca AL, Marginean OC, Melit LE, Damian R, Chincesan M. (2016). Aplastic anemia-therapeutic and deontological aspect. Romanian J of Pediatrics. LXV(1):56-59
- Frickhofen N, Heimpel H. (2003). Antithymocyte globulin with or without cyclosporine A: 11 year follow up of a randomized trial comparing treatments of aplastic anemia. Blood, 101(4):1236-42
- Dufour C, Pillon M, Soci_e G, Rov_o A, Carraro E, Bacigalupo A, et al. (2015). Outcome of aplastic anaemia in children. A study by the severe aplastic anaemia and paediatric disease working parties of the European group blood and bone marrow transplant. B.J.H, 169, 565-73
- Edard C. Gordon Smith and Mitchell Lewis, aplastic anemia, other types of bone marrow failure. In: Hoffbrand AV, Lewis SM, Tuddenham EGD et al, ed. postgraduate hematology oxford butter worth Heinemann. 1999. pp 68-90
- 5 Bacigalupo A,?Brand R,?Oneto R,?Bruno B,?Soci? G,?Passweg J. (2000). Treatment of acquired severe plastic anemia bone marrow transplantation compared with immunosuppressive therapy-european group for blood and marrow transplantation experience. Semin Hematol. 37 (1): 69-80
- Rauff B, Idrees M, Riaz Shah SA, Butt S, Butt AM, Ali L, et al. (2011). Hepatitis associated aplastic anemia: a review. Virol J.; 8: 87
- Solomou EE, Keyvanfar K, Young NS. (2006). T-bet, a Th1 transcription factor, is up-regulated in T cells from patients with aplastic anemia. Blood. 15,107(10):3983-3991.
- Nakao S. Immune mechanism of aplastic anemia. (1997) Int J Hematol. 66(2):127-34.
- Garanitoa MP, Carneiroa JD, Filhoa VO, Scheinbergb P. (2014). Outcome of children with severe acquired aplastic anemia treated with rabbit antithymocyte globulin and cyclosporine A. J Pediatr (Rio J); 90(5): 523-27
- Guinan EC. Diagnosis and management of aplastic anemia. (2011).
- Hematology Am Soc Hematol Educ Program. 2011:76-81.
- Scheinberg P, Young NS. (2012). How I treat acquired aplastic anemia.Blood. 120:1185-96.
- Young NS, Calado RT, Scheinberg P. (2006). Current concepts in the pathophysiology and treatment of aplastic anemia. Blood. 108(8): 2509-19.
- Shah S, Jain P, Shah K, Patel K, Parikh S, Patel A. et al. (1019). Immunosuppressive therapy for aplastic anemia: a single-center experience from western India. Annals of Hematology. 98 (1): 41-46
- Shin SH, Lee SE, Lee JW. (2014). Recent advances in treatment of aplastic anemia. The Korean J of Intern Med. 29(6):713-26.
[Basam Kamal Samad, Hussein Jasim Dadoosh Al-janabi and Qusay Sami Ahmed. (2019); ANTITHYMOCYTE GLOBULIN, METHYLPREDNISOLONE AND CYCLOSPORINE IS AN EFFECTIVE TREATMENT IN SEVER APLASTIC ANEMIA. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 7 (8). 139-143] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
A specialist physician at Al-Nuaman Teaching Hospital.
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/9486 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/9486
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.