EXAMINATION OF ANTIMICROBIAL PEPTIDES FROM SERROGNATHUS TITANUS LARVAE.
- Gene Analysis Center, Gyeongnam National University of Science & Technology, Jinju 52725, South Korea.
- Sunchon National University, 255, Jungang-ro, Suncheon-si, 57922, Republic of Korea.
- National Institute of Biological Resources (NIBR), Environmental Research Complex, Incheon 22689, Republic of Korea.
- Department of Animal Resources Technology, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology, Gyeongnam, 52725, South Korea.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
This study was done to investigate the antimicrobial activity of stag beetle larvae extract induced by innate immune response by treating Salmonella strain. Agar diffusion assay showed no significant difference in antimicrobial activity compared to the control. However, when the activity was done by microtiter plate assay, the antimicrobial activity was increased compared to the control. The antimicrobial activity was measured according to the molecular weight to confirm that the activity was induced according to the molecular weight of the peptide. As a result, many antimicrobial substances against S. Gallinarum were found at below 3 kDa and above 30 kDa. Many antibacterial substances against S. Enteritidis were observed at below 3 kDa, 10-30 kDa and above 30 kDa. Therefore, it is suggested that stag beetle larvae induce an antimicrobial peptide, which is an innate immune response, against pathogenic microorganisms.
- Berenbaum, M. R., and Eisner, T. 2008. Ecology. Bugs\' bugs. Science 322, 52-53.
- Dossey, A. T. 2010. Insects and their chemical weaponry: new potential for drug discovery. Nat Prod Rep 27, 1737-1757.
- Cherniack, E. P. 2010. Bugs as drugs, Part 1: Insects: the \"new\" alternative medicine for the 21st century? Altern Med Rev 15, 124-135.
- Kim, S. W., Bang, W. Y., Kim, T. W., Jeon, S. H., Noh, C. W., Lee, C. W., and Kim, I. S. 2017. Characteristics of antimicrobial peptides originated from invertebrates including insect. Int. J. Adv. Res. 5 (11), 284-289.
- Ratcliffe, N. A., Mello, C. B., Garcia, E. S., Butt, T. M., and Azambuja, P. 2011. Insect natural products and processes: new treatments for human disease. Insect BiochemMolBiol 41, 747-769.
[Sam Woong Kim, Seung-Ho Jeon, Woo Young Bang and Il-Suk Kim. (2019); EXAMINATION OF ANTIMICROBIAL PEPTIDES FROM SERROGNATHUS TITANUS LARVAE. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 7 (9). 96-100] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/9634 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/9634
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.