ADSORPTION OF COPPER FROM AQUEOUS SOLUTION BY MOROCCAN ATTAPULGITE: KINETIC AND THERMODYNAMIC STUDIES
- Laboratory of Physico - Chemistry of Materials, Natural Substances and Environment, Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Sciences and Techniques, Abdelmalek Essaadi University, Tangier (Morocco)
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
In this paper, Moroccan treated attapulgite (MTATP) was used as a mineral adsorbent for removal of copper ions from aqueous solution. Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy (FTIR) was used to study the functional groups of attapulgite. Kinetic analysis of the experimental results was carried out by using the pseudo-first-order, pseudo-second-order and the intraparticle diffusion models. The modeling results showed that the pseudo-second-order model is able to describe the adsorption behavior of copper onto attapulgite more accurately. Thermodynamic parameters such as Gibbs free energy (∆G?), the enthalpy (∆H?) and the entropy change (∆S?) of sorption were calculated. Outcomes reveals that the sorption process is spontaneous and exothermic
- S. Ho, C. T. Huang, H. W. Huang, Equilibrium sorption isotherm for metal ions on tree fern, Process Biochem. 37 (2002) 1421?1430.
- Suraj, C. S. P. Iyer, M. Lalithambika, Adsorption of cadmium and copper by modified kaolinites, Appl. Clay Sci. 13 (1998) 293?306.
- G Bhattacharyya., S.S. Gupta, Kaolinite, montmorillonite, and their modified derivatives as adsorbents for removal of Cu (II) from aqueous solution, Sep. Purif. Technol. 50 (2006) 388-397
- I. Vico, Acid?base behaviour and Cu2+ and Zn2+ complexation properties of the sepiolite/water interface, Chem. Geol. 198 (2003) 213?222.
- Fan, D. D. Shao, J. Hu, W. Wu, X. K. Wang, Comparison of Ni2+?sorption to bare and ACT-graft attapulgites: Effect of pH, temperature and foreign ions, Surf. Sci. 602 (2008) 778-785
- Frini-Srasra, E. Srasra, Acid treatment of south Tunisian palygorskite: Removal of Cd(II) from aqueous and phosphoric acid solutions, Desalination 250 (2010) 26?34.
- Pushpaletha, M. Lalithambika, Modiﬁed attapulgite: An efﬁcient solid acid catalyst for acetylation of alcohols using acetic acid, Appl. Clay Sci. 51 (2011) 424?430.
- Xie, R. Deng, Y. Pang, Y. Bai, W. Zheng and Y. Zhou, Adsorption of copper(II) by sulfur microparticles, Chem. Eng. J. 314 (2017) 434-442.
- Lagergren, About the theory of so-called adsorption of soluble substances, Kungl. Sven. Vetenskapsakademiens Handl. 24 (1898) 1?39.
- Blanchard, M. Maunaye, G. Martin, Removal of heavy metals from waters by means of natural zeolites, Water Res. 18 (1984) 1501-1507.
- Fierro, V. Torn?-Fern?ndez, D. Montan?, A. Celzard, Adsorption of phenol onto activated carbons having different textural and surface properties, Microporous Mesoporous Mater. 111 (2008) 276?284
- J.?Weber, Physicochemical processes for water quality control, Wiley Interscience, 1972.
- Rytwo, E. Ruiz-Hitzky, Enthalpies of adsorption of methylene blue and crystal violet to montmorillonite.?J. Therm. Anal. Calorim.?71 (2003) 751-759.
- El Boundati, K. Ziat, A. Naji, M. Saidi, Generalized fractal-like adsorption kinetic models: Application to adsorption of copper on Argan nut shell, J. Mol. Liq. 276 (2019) 15?26.
- Zhang, L. Shi, S. Yuan, Y. Zhao, J. Fang, Synthesis and photocatalytic properties of highly stable and neutral TiO2/SiO2 hydrosol, J. Colloid Interf. Sci. 330 (2009) 113?118.
- Nakamoto, Infrared spectra of inorganic and coordination compounds, John Wiley and Sons (1963).
- Gunasekaran, G. Anbalagan, S. Pandi, Raman and infrared spectra of carbonates of calcite structure, J. Raman Spectrosc. 37 (2006) 892?899.
- S. Al-Degs, M.I. El-Barghouthi, A.A. Issa, M.A. Khraisheh, G.M. Walker, Sorption of Zn(II), Pb(II), and Co(II) natural sorbents: Equilibrium and kinetic studies, Water Res. 40 (2006) 2645? 2658.
- Boudriche, R. Clavet, B. Hamidi, H. Balard, Effect of acid treatment on surface properties evolution of attapulgite clay: An application of inverse gas chromatography, Colloids Surf. A: Physicochem. Eng. Asp. 392 (2011) 45?54.
- L. Frost, O.B. Locos, J. Ruan, J.T. Kloprogge, Near infrared and mid-infrared spectroscopic study of sepiolites and palygorskites, Vib. Spectrosc. 27 (2001) 1?3.
- L. Frost, Y. Xi, H. He, Synthesis, characterization of palygorskite supported zero-valent iron and its application for methylene blue adsorption, J. Colloid Interf. Sci. 341 (2010) 153?161.
- Su?rez, E. Garc?a-Romero, FTIR spectroscopic study of palygorskite: Influence of the composition of the octahedral sheet, Appl. Clay Sci. 31 (2006) 154 ? 163.
- C. Nebagha, K. Ziat, L. Rghioui, M. Khayet, M. Saidi, K. Aboumaria, A. El Hourch, S. Sebti, Adsorptive removal of copper(II) from aqueous solutions using low cost Moroccan adsorbent. Part I: Parameters influencing Cu(II) adsorption, J. Mater. Environ. Sci. 6 (2015) 3022-3033.
- M.A. Khalil, F.H. ElBatal, Y.M. Hamdy, H.M. Zidan, M.S. Aziz, A.M. Abdelghany, Infrared absorption spectra of transition metals-doped soda lime silica glasses, Physica B 405 (2010) 1294?1300.
- Zou, J. Pan, H. Ou, X. Wang, W. Guan, C. Li, Y. Yan, Adsorptive removal of Cr (III) and Fe (III) from aqueous solution by chitosan/attapulgite composites: Equilibrium, thermodynamics and kinetics, Chem. Eng. J. 167 (2011) 112?121
- S. Wan Ngah, M.A.K.M. Hanafiah, Adsorption of copper on rubber (Hevea brasiliensis) leaf powder: Kinetic, equilibrium and thermodynamic studies, Biochem. Eng. J. 39 (2008) 521?530
[N. El Bardiji, K. Ziat and M. Saidi (2019); ADSORPTION OF COPPER FROM AQUEOUS SOLUTION BY MOROCCAN ATTAPULGITE: KINETIC AND THERMODYNAMIC STUDIES Int. J. of Adv. Res. 7 (11). 41-48] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Laboratory of Physico-Chemistry of Materials, Natural Substances and Environment, Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Sciences and Techniques, Abdelmalek Essaâdi University, Tangier (Morocco) .
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.