EFFICACY OF USING PEER ASSESSMENT IN DEVELOPING PRESENTATION SKILLS OF ESL ADULT LEARNERS
- Sri Lanka Institute of Advanced Technological Education, Sri Lanka
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
The significance of peer assessment is highlighted in different learning contexts and researches. However, studies on peer assessment are still limited in the Sri Lankan ESL context. The present study examines the correlation between the peer assessment and the development of the presentation skills of ESL adult learners. The sample of this study consists of 45 students studying in a higher educational institute. The students received peer feedback for the oral presentations they made. A pretest and a posttest were carried out before and after the oral presentation sessions. The marks of the pretest and posttest were analyzed using SPSS data analysis package. According to this study, there is a positive effect on the peer assessment in the development of the presentation skills of ESL adult learners. At the pedagogical level, the findings of the study are essential for the teaching and learning context of Sri Lanka.
- Ahangari, S. (2013) The effect of peer assessment on oral presentation in an EFL context, International Journal of Applied Linguistics & English Literature, 2:3, 45-53, doi: 10.7575/aiac.ijalel.v.2n.3p.45
- Aryadoust, V. (2016) Gender and Academic Major Bias in Peer Assessment of Oral Presentations, Language Assembly Quarterly, 13:1, 1-24
- Carnell, B. (2015): Aiming for Autonomy: formative peer assessment in a final-year undergraduate course, Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education, doi: 10.1080/0260238.2015. 1077196
- De Grez, L., Roozen, I & Valke, M (2012) How effective are self- and peer assessment of oral presentation skills compared with teachers? assessments? ,?Active Learning in Higher Education, doi: 10.1177/1469787412441284
- Falchikov, N. (2005). Improving Assessment through student involvement: Practical solution for aiding learning in higher and further education. New York: RoutledgeFalmer.
- Gil-Salom,D. & Benlloch-Dualde, J. (2016) Student assessment of oral presentations in German as a Foreign Language, Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 228? ( 2016 )? 656 ? 661, doi: 10.1016/j.sbspro.2016.07.100
- Hanrahan,S.J. & Isaacs (2001) Assessing self and peer assessment: The students? view. Higher Education Research & Development, 20:1,53-70, doi: 10.1080/07924360120043658
- Hyland, K. (1991). Developing oral presentation skills. English Teaching Forum, 29 (2): 35-37
- Karami, A. & Rezaei, A (2015) An Overview of Peer-Assessment: The Benefits and Importance, Journal for the Study of English Linguistics,3:1, 93-99, doi: 10.5296/jsel.v3il.7889
- Kovac, M.M. & Sirkovic, N. (2012) Peer Evaluation of Oral Presentations in Croatia, English language Teaching, 5: 7, 8-16, doi: 10.5539/elt.v5n7p8
- Li,L. & Lei-na,L. (2012) Online Peer Assessment of Chinese Students? Oral Presentation in English, Sino-US English Teaching, 9: 3, 1005-1009 ISN 15398072
- MacGarr, O. Clifford, A.M. (2013) ?Just enough to make you take it seriously?: exploring students? attitudes towards peer assessment. High Education, 65: 677-693, doi: 10.1007/s10734-012-950-z
- Magin, D. & Helmore, P. (2001) Peer and Teacher Assessment of Oral Presentation Skills: How reliable are they?, Studies in Higher Education, 26: 3, 287-298, doi: 1080/03075070120076264
- Nortcliffe,A.L.(2012) Can Students Assess Themselves and Their Peers? - A Five Year Study, Student Engagement and Experience Journal, Volume 1, Issue 2, ISSN (online) 2047-9476,DOI 7190/seej.v1i2.29
- Peng, J.F. (2008) Peer Assessment of Oral Presentation in an EFL context, UMI Dissertation Publishing, Ann Arbor
- Puegphrom, P. & Chiramanee, T. (2011) The Effectiveness of Implementing Peer Assessment on Students? Writing Proficiency, The 3rd International Conference on Humanities and Social Sciences, 1-17
- Suganuma Oi, Y (2011) Self, Peer and Teacher Evaluation in English Oral Production, The 16th Conference of Pan-Pacific Association of Applied Linguistics
- Topping, K.J. (1998), Peer Assessment between Students in Colleges and Universities, Review of Educational Research, 68 : 3 , 249-276 , Retrieved from http://www. jstor.org /stable /1170598
- Topping, K.J. (2009) Peer Assessment, Theory into Practice, 48:1, 20-27, doi: 10.1080/0040584080257756.
[Sevwandi Ganesha Pathmaperuma (2019); EFFICACY OF USING PEER ASSESSMENT IN DEVELOPING PRESENTATION SKILLS OF ESL ADULT LEARNERS Int. J. of Adv. Res. 7 (12). 99-104] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Sri Lanka Institute of Advanced Technological Education, Sri Lanka
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/10131 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/10131
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.