- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
The oral cavity has the second largest and diverse microbiota after the gut harboring over 700 species of bacteria. Many works have also shown that the oral periopathogens Fusobacterium nucleatum and Porphyromonas gingivalis play an important role in the development of colorectal and pancreatic cancer. Oral microflora may serve as a synergistic factor with the other commonly known risk factors such as alcohol abuse and smoking. In the present article, we hypothesize a causal role for oral bacterial flora in oral cancer although an indirect one. We propose that the normal bacterial flora in conjunction with the already established risk factors such as alcohol consumption may play a role in cancer development.
- Deo PN, Deshmukh R. Oral microbiome : Unveiling the fundamentals. Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology .2019 Jan 1;23(1):122
- Patil S, Rao RS, Sanketh DS, Amrutha N. Microbial Flora in Oral Diseases. J Contemp Dent Pract 2013;14(6):1202-1208.
- Gaonkar PP, Patankar SR, Tripathi N, Sridharan G. Oral bacterial flora and oral cancer: The possible link?. Journal of oral and maxillofacial pathology: JOMFP. 2018 May;22(2):234.
- Aas JA, Paster BJ, Stokes LN, Olsen I, Dewhirst FE. Defining the normal bacterial flora of the oral cavity. Journal of clinical microbiology. 2005 Nov 1;43(11):5721-32.
- Parahitiyawa NB, Scully C, Leung WK, Yam WC, Jin LJ, Samaranayake LP. Exploring the oral bacterial flora: current status and future directions. Oral diseases. 2010 Mar;16(2):136-45.
- Marsh PD, Martin MV, Lewis MAO, Williams D. Oral microbiology. 5th ed. Elsevier Health Sciences UK 2009
- Vogtmann E, Goedert JJ. Epidemiologic studies of the human microbiome and cancer. Br J Cancer 2016;114:237‑42.
- Sasaki M, Yamaura C, Ohara‑Nemoto Y, Tajika S, Kodama Y, Ohya T, et al. Streptococcus anginosus infection in oral cancer and its infection route. Oral Dis 2005;11:151‑6.
- Srinivasprasad V, Dineshshankar J, Sathiyajeeva J, Karthikeyan M, Sunitha J, Ragunathan R, et al. Liaison between micro‑organisms and oral cancer. J Pharm Bioallied Sci 2015;7:S354‑60.
- Pusalkar S, Ji X,Li Y,Estilo C, Yegnanaryana R, Singh B, et al. Comparison of oral microbiota in tumor and
- Khajuria N, Metgud R. Role of bacteria in oral carcinogenesis. Indian journal of dentistry. 2015 Jan;6(1):37.
- Ahn J, Chen CY, Hayes RB. Oral microbiome and oral and gastrointestinal cancer risk. Cancer Causes Control 2012;23:399‑404
- Homann N, Tillonen J, Meurman JH, Rintam?ki H, Lindqvist C, Rautio M, et al. Increased salivary acetaldehyde levels in heavy drinkers and smokers: A microbiological approach to oral cavity cancer. Carcinogenesis 2000;21:663‑8.
- Rajeev R, Choudhary K, Pa nda S, Gandhi N. Role of bacteria in oral carcinogenesis. South Asian J Cancer 2012;1:78‑83.
[Sunanda, Bansal Puja and Bhargava Deepak (2019); CORRELATION IN BETWEEN ORAL BACTERIAL FLORA AND ORAL CANCER - A REVIEW ARTICLE Int. J. of Adv. Res. 7 (12). 118-121] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
M.D.S. Oral Pthology & Microbiology . POST GRADUATE (SECOND YEAR )
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/10134 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/10134
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.