- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Surgical resection of a tumour of the maxillofacial tissues leads to defects, which affect the function. Maxillectomy defects commonly affect the speech, mastication and swallowing due to oroantral communication. Obturator prosthesis has been mainly used for rehabilitation of such cases. The size and extend of the defect affects the prognosis of the prosthesis. Larger defects are generally made hollow to reduce their weight, thereby increasing retention of the prosthesis. This case report discusses designing and fabrication of a cast partial hollow obturator for a maxillectomy patient. The prosthesis can overcome functional difficulties like speech, mastication and swallowing and thereby improve the quality of life of the patient.
- Ferro KJ, Morgano SM.,( 2017): The Glossary of Prosthodontic Terms; Edition Nine. J prosthet dent., 117(5S):16-92.
- D, Goverdhan .G, Himaja .K, Chalpathi Rao .D, Ravi Kumar .C.,(2018): A definitive approach to rehabilitate acquired maxillary defect- A case report. IP Annals of Prosthodontics and Restorative Dentistry., April-June, 4(2):50-52.
- Tannamala PK, Pulagam M, Pottem SR, Karnam S.,(2012): Flexible resins in the rehabilitation of maxillectomy patient. Indian journal of dental research., Jan 1;23(1):97.
- Aramany MA.,(2001): Basic principles of obturator design for partially edentulous patients. Part I: Classification. Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry., Dec 1;86(6):559-61.
- Aramany MA.,(2001): Basic principles of obturator design for partially edentulous patients. Part II: Design principles. Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry., Dec 1;86(6):562-8.
- Rani S, Gupta S, Verma M., (2017): Hollow bulb one piece maxillary definitive obturator-A simplified approach. Contemporary clinical dentistry., Jan;8(1):167.
- Wu YL, Schaaf NG., (1989): Comparison of weight reduction in different designs of solid and hollow obturator prostheses. The Journal of prosthetic dentistry., Aug 1;62(2):214-7.
- Tanaka Y, Gold HO, Pruzansky S., (1977): A simplified technique for fabricating a lightweight obturator. Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry., Dec 1;38(6):638-42.
- Patil PG, Patil SP., (2012): A hollow definitive obturator fabrication technique for management of partial maxillectomy. The journal of advanced prosthodontics., Nov 1;4(4):248-53.
- Bhochhibhoya A, Mathema S, Maskey B., (2016): A Simplified Approach for Hollowing and Retrofitting Distal Extension Partial Denture in a Patient with Unilateral Maxillectomy. Int J Dent Oral Health., 2(7).
- Mehta S, Mascarenhas E., (2014): Closed hollow obturator?An elixir to the cancer patients. Int. J. Sci. Stud., Nov 1; 2:273-6.
[Dheepika Kittuchami, Chalakuzhiyil Abraham Mathew, Maheshwaran Marappan, Biju K.A, Rajkumar K. and Rajaganeshan V.S (2020); A STOP UP PROSTHESIS - OBTURARE : CLINICAL CASE REPORT Int. J. of Adv. Res. 8 (2). 95-101] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Department of Prosthodontics, KSRIDSR, Namakkal, Tamilnadu – 637215.
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/10440 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/10440
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.