OUTCOME OF CLAVICULAR HOOK PLATE IN MANAGEMENT OF UNSTABLE LATERAL CLAVICULAR FRACTURES
- Surgical Department, Faculty of Medicine, Baha University, Baha, Saudi Arabia.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Background: Lateral clavicular fracture is a topic in orthopedicfracture care, that has been heavily debated over the last decades. The aim of the current study was to assess the results of hook plate in management of lateral clavicular fractures. Patients and Methods: Twenty-onelateral clavicular fractures, in 21 patients were prospectively included in the current study. There were 15 males and 6 females, with a mean age of 32.8 years. A clavicular hook plate was used inreduction and fixation of the fractures in all patients.The plate was electively removed after 6 months postoperatively. Results: The averageduration of follow-up was 31 months (range, 24 to 41). Union was achieved in all cases at an average of 8.7 weeks (range, 6 to 12). The average VAS for pain was 2.3 (range, 0 to 4) at 6 months and 2.2 (range, 0 to 4) at final follow-up. The average active shouldermovements in the latest follow-up were as follows abduction 1158 (120?170), forward flexion 160 (range, 130 to170), external rotation 35 (range, 30 to 45) and internal rotation 50 (range, 30 to 65). The mean age adjusted constant score was 88 (range 82?94) in the 6 months follow up, which improves significantly to 94 (range, 84 to 100) in the last follow-up (p<0.01). Conclusion: Fixation of unstable lateral clavicular fractures using clavicular hook plate yielded good results and complications, however routine plate removal is mandatory to avoid rotator cuff problems.
- Nordqvist A, Petersson C (1994) The incidence of fractures of the clavicle. Clin Orthop Relat Res 300:127-132
- Neer CI (1968) Fractures of the distal third of the clavicle. Clin Orthop Relat Res 58:43-50
- Chalidis B, Sachinis N, Samoladas E, Dimitriou C, Christodoulou A (2008) Acute management of clavicle fractures. A long term functional outcome study. Acta Orthop Belg 74 (3):303-307
- Robinson C, Cairns D (2004) Primary nonoperative treatment of displaced lateral fractures of the clavicle. J Bone Joint Surg Am 86 (4):778-782
- Badhe S, Lawrence T, Clark D (2007) Tension band suturing for the treatment of displaced type 2 lateral end clavicle fractures. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 127 (1):25-28
- Hsu T, Hsu S, Chen H, Wang S (2010) Comparison of hook plate and tension band wire in the treatment of distal clavicle fractures. Orthopedics 33 (12):879
- Good D, Lui D, Leonard M, Morris S, McElwain J (2012) Clavicle hook plate fixation for displaced lateral-third clavicle fractures (Neer type II): a functional outcome study. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 21 (8):1045-1048
- Meda P, Machani B, Sinopidis C, Brownson P, SPFrostick (2006) Clavicular hook plate for lateral end fractures: A prospective study. Injury 37 (3):277-283
- Tiren D, Bemmel A, Swank D, Linden Fvd (2012) Hook plate fixation of acute displaced lateral clavicle fractures: mid-term results and a brief literature overview. J Orthop Surg Res 7:2-1
- Lyons F, Rockwood C (1990) Migration of pins used on the shoulder. J Bone Joint Surg Am 72 (8):1262-1267
- Macheras G, Kateros K, Savvidou O (2005) Coracoclavicular screw fixation for unstable distal clavicle fractures. Orthopaedics 28 (7):693-696
- Fazal M, Saksena J, Haddad F (2007) Temporary coracoclavicular screw fixation for displaced distal clavicle fractures. J Orthop Surg 15 (1):9-11
- Nourissat G, Kakuda C, Dumontier C, Sautet A, Doursounian L (2007) Arthroscopic stabilization of Neer type 2 fracture of the distal part of the clavicle. Arthroscopy 23 (6):671-674
- Cho C-H, Bae K-C, Kim DH (2017) Coracoclavicular Stabilization Using a Suture Button Device for Neer Type IIB Lateral Clavicle Fractures. Arthroscopy: The Journal of Arthroscopic & Related Surgery 33 (10, Supplement):e59-e60
- Stegeman S, H N, Koen HH, nger B (2013) Surgical treatment of Neer type-2 of the distal clavicle, a meta-analysis. Acta Orthop 84:184-189
- Faraj A, Ketzer B (2001) The use of a hook-plate in the management of acromioclavicular injuries. Acta Orthop Belg 67:448-451
- Zhu Y, Cui H, Jiang P, Wang J (2013) Complications of treatment of acromioclavicular joint dislocation and unstable distal clavicular fracture with clavicular hook plate. Zhongguo Gu Shang 26 (11):927-931.
[Ahmed Abdullah Alghamdi (2020); OUTCOME OF CLAVICULAR HOOK PLATE IN MANAGEMENT OF UNSTABLE LATERAL CLAVICULAR FRACTURES Int. J. of Adv. Res. 8 (2). 194-198] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Alhada military hospital, Albaha University
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/10453 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/10453
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.