ATTITUDE OF ADOLESCENTS TOWARDS USE OF SOCIAL MEDIA
- Department of Nursing, College of Applied Medical Science, University of Hafar Al Batin, Saudi Arabia.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Social media has turned into a portion of our daily life. As each coin has two sides, social media also has favored standpoint and hindrance. Social media can boon or bane depends upon our exploitation the way we use it. Today, social media use is nearly universal among Adolescents. They are the most enthusiastic users of social networking and social media. Aim: Purpose of this study is to examine the attitudes of adolescents toward social media. Specifically, the study has been designed to investigate whether social media boon or bane to the society and to the adolescents. It is a study of descriptive character with a qualitative approach. The participants of the research were students of the College of Applied Medical Science, Hafar Al-Batin, and Saudi Arabia. The sample was comprised by students of the nursing department, who agreed to participate in the research, there were deleted from the research the ones who did not fill the questionnaire. Data collection was carried out through a questionnaire that characterized the students sociodemographic, besides guiding the questions regarding the attitude of adolescents towards social media. Data analysis was done with SPSS statistical package version 20. The data collected displayed that adolescents recognized that social media has an influence on their social life and relationship, lifestyle, health, academic performance, and privacy and security. The boon or the bane of social media on adolescents originates in based on how they use it. If they use it positively, it can give unbelievable returns to them. On the other hand, a lot of adolescents waste a big portion of their time on social media. With social media, the information of a lot of adolescents has now become digital which may cause their confidentiality at risk. This help the hackers shot and acquire data for their use on a daily basis now a day.
- Alobaid L, BinJadeed H, Alkhamis A, Alotaibi R, Tharkar S, Gosadi I, Gad A. Burgeoning Rise In Smartphone Usage among School Children In Saudi Arabia Ulutas Med J. 2018; 4(1):4-11 DOI: 10.5455/umj.20180203121836.
- Al Sharqi, L, Hashim, K & Kutbi, I.(2015). Perceptions of Social Media Impact? on student\\\'s life Comparison between Arts and Science Students. International? Journal of Education and Social? Science , 2(4), 122
- Berezan, O., Krishen, A. S., Agarwal, S., & Kachroo, P. (2017). The pursuit of virtual happiness: Exploring the social media experience across generations. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2017.11.038
- Block, J. J. (2008). Issues for DSMV: Internet Addiction. Retrieved January 10, 2018, fromhttps://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi/full/10.1176/appi.ajp.2007.07101556
- Selwa Y Abdeldafie, B. K. A. (2017). Attitude of Nursing Students towards Computer Assisted Learning in a Selected Nursing College, Hafar al Batin, Saudi Arabia. International Journal of Innovative Research in Medical Science, 2(04), 686 to 691. https://doi.org/10.23958/ijirms/vol02-i04/10
- Dennis Thompson.?(2018).?Social Media May Harm a Woman\\\'s Body Image . Retrieved ?from? https://www.webmd.com/women/news/20180504/too-much-social-media-may-harm-a-womans-body-image
- Goswami, Vandana, and Divya Rani Singh. \\\"Impact of mobile phone addiction on adolescents life: A literature review.\\\" Int J Home Sci 2.1 (2016): 69-74.
- Grosvenor, C. (2016). Definition of online social networking. Retrieved May 13th, 2017, from http://socialnetworking.lovetoknow.com/about-social-networking/definition-online-social-networking
- Hargittai, E (2008a) The digital reproduction of inequality In D Grusky (Ed Grusky (Ed), Social stratification (pp 936?944) Boulder, CO: Westview Press
- James Mageto , 2017, Impact of Social Media on the Youth, Munich, GRIN Verlag, https://www.grin.com/document/358350
- Jain, M.R. & Gupta, Palak & Anand, Nitika (2012). Impact of social networking sites in the changing mindset of youth on social issues - A study of Delhi - NCR youth. International Refereed Research Journal, vol.-III, Issue 2(2), April, pp.36-43.
- Jelenchick LA, Eickhoff JC, Moreno MA. ?Facebook depression?? Social networking site use and depression in older adolescents. J Adoles Health. 2013;52(1): 128-30.
- Kirschner, P A, & Karpinski, A C-2010-2010 Facebook and academic performance Computers in Human Behavior, 26(6), 1237-1245 doi:101016/j1016/jchb324
- Le Moignan, E., Lawson, S., Rowland, D. A., Mahoney, J., & Briggs, P.? (2017, May). Has Instagram fundamen-tally altered the\\\'family snapshot\\\'? In Proceedings of the 2017 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Sys-tems (pp. 4935-4947). ACM.
- Mahat, Shabnam & Mundhe, S.D. (2014). Impact of Social Networking Sites (SNS) on the youth. National conference on Innovations in IT and Management ISBN. 978-81- 927230-0-6.
- Maria Sagrario R. Simbulan(2017), Mehmood, Saba & Tasvir, Tarang. (2013). The Effects of Social Networking Sites on the Academic Performance of Students in college of Applied Sciences, Nizwa, Oman. International Journal of Arts and Commerce. January. vol. 2 No. 1.
- Monica Munjial Singh , Mohammad Amiri, Sherry Sabbarwal. Social Media Usage: Positive and Negative Effects on the Life Style of Indian Youth , Iranian Journal of Social Sciences and Humanities Research, Vol 5 Issue 3 (2017)
- Mulvenna, M. D., & Bond, R. (2016). Exploring the relationship between online social network site usage and the impact on quality of life for older and younger users: An interaction analysis. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 18(9).
- Pantic I, Damjanovic A, Todorovic J, Topalovic D, Bojovic-Jovic D, Ristic S, et al. Association between online social networking and depression in high school students: behavioral physiology viewpoint. Psychiatr Danub 2012; 24(1): 90-3.
- Ruohan Lia , Ayoung Suhb, Factors Influencing Information credibility on Social Media Platforms: Evidence from Facebook Pages. ScienceDirect ; Procedia Computer Science 72 ( 2015 ) 314 ? 328
- Singh, V. K., Ghosh, S., & Jose, C. (2017, May). Toward multimodal cyberbullying detection. In Proceedings of the 2017 CHI Conference Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems (pp. 2090-2099). ACM.
- Straten A, Lamers F, Cuijpers P, Penninx B. Are sedentary television watching and computer use behaviors associated with anxiety and depressive disorders?. Psychiatry Res 2011; 186(2): 239-43.
- Sharma, V. Uses of Internet in our daily life ? Everyday Internet Impact, February, 20, 2016? http://www.klientsolutech.com/uses-of-internet-in-our-daily-life-everyday-internet/
- Shiresha Manyam, Mary Swarnalatha. A & Alapati Padma, impact of social media on current fashion trends among youth, International Journal of Educational Science and Research (IJESR) ISSN (P): 2249-6947; ISSN (E): 2249-8052 Vol. 8, Issue 3, Jun 2018, 127-134
- Teng, Allen. 2012. ?Writing Teachers Should Comment on Facebook Walls.? Voices from the Middle. 19.4: 34-38.
- Wang, Y., Tang, J., Li, J., Li, B., Wan, Y., Mellina, C., ... & Chang, Y. (2017, April). Understanding and discover-ing deliberate self-harm content in social media. In Proceedings of the 26th International Conference on World Wide Web (pp. 93-102). International World Wide Web Conferences Steering Committee.
- Wohn, D. Y., Fiesler, C., Hemphill, L., De Choudhury, M., & Matias, J. N. (2017, May). How to handle online risks? Discussing content curation and moderation in social media. In Proceedings of the 2017 CHI Conference Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems (pp. 1271-1276).
- Yalda T.?Uhls,?Nicole B.?Ellison,?Kaveri?Subrahmanyam. Benefits and Costs of Social Media in Adolescence ?Pediatrics?Nov 2017,?140?(Supplement 2)?S67- 70;?DOI:?10.1542/peds.2016-1758E
- Zhou, L., Zhang, D., Yang, C. C., & Wang, Y. (2017). Harnessing social media for health information management, 27, 139151. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.elerap.2017.12.003
- Zaher Nazzal (2018), Excessive facebook use and physical and mental health risks in the occupied palasteinian territory: A cross sectional study . Volume 391,S38 DOI:?https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(18)30363-5
- http://digitalmarketingcommunity.com /researches/digital-2018
[Bindu Kaipparettu Abraham (2020); ATTITUDE OF ADOLESCENTS TOWARDS USE OF SOCIAL MEDIA Int. J. of Adv. Res. 8 (2). 443-453] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Faculty of Nursing, College of Applied medical Science, University of Hafar Al Batin, Saudi Arabia
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/10480 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/10480
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.