PREVALANCE AND MANAGEMENT OF SCIATICA IN A TERITIARY CARE HOSPITAL: A PROSPECTIVE OBSERVATIONAL STUDY
- Sree Chaitanya Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Karimnagar, Telangana, 505001.
- Narsaraopet Institute Of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Narsaraopet, Andhrapradesh, 522601.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
To assess the studies on Sciatica prevalence and management & discuss reasons for variation in estimates provides suggestions for improving accuracy of recording sciatica. Sciatica is a common cause of pain and disability. Aims & objectives: To study the Prevalance and management of sciatica. To investigate the efficacy and tolerability of analgesic and adjuvants pain drugs typically administered in primary care for the management of patients with sciatica. Methodology: An Observational study enrolled 712 patients in that 304 patients were diagnosed with sciatica was observed in Renee hospital, Karimnagar, Orthopedic Department. Sciatic pain severity and data collected by patient prescriptions and medical records and lifestyle habits, and also form designed to collect data regarding patient parameters (name, age, sex) & co-morbid conditions. Results: Complete data were obtained for 304 patients. We had observed data by gender discrimination. Male had 36.18% and female had 63.82%. Female are more prone to sciatica pain compared to male. Based on time and duration of pain for 6 months maximum [i.e. 54.3%] followed by 88 patients [29.95%]. Based on the risk factors obesity [28%] is the major factor followed by smoking [25%]. Conclusion: In the present study prevalence of sciatica is more prone in female patients than the male patients in our study population. Generally age wise distribution, and gender discrimination yielded results.
- Taber?s, Cyclopedic Medical dictionary, 21 Edition.
- Alexander R. Vaccaro, Spine Core Knowledge in Orthopaedics.
- Manish kumar, Gaurav Garg, L. R. Singh, Talever Singh, and L. K. Tyagi, Epidemiology, Pathophysiology and Symptomatic Treatment of Sciatica, International Journal of Pharmaceutical & Biological Archives 2011;2(4):1050-1061.
- B W Koes, M W van Tudler and W C Peul, ? Diagnosis and treatment of Sciatica?, BMJ 2007;334;1313-7.
- Maheshwari &Mhaskar Essential ORTHOPAEDICS,- Fourth Edition.
- R Alagappan Manual of Practical Medicine ? FIFTH EDITION.
- Randall Schultz, Sciatica first aid- ? http://www.spine-health.com.
- LEENA KAILA-KANGAS et al., History of physical work exposures and clinically diagnosed sciatica among working and nonworking Finns aged 30 to 64 , 2009 Apr 20;34(9):964-9.
- RAHMAN SHIRI et al., The Effect of Smoking on the Risk of Sciatica: A?Meta-analysis, 2016 Jan;129(1):64-73.
- LOUISKURITZKY et al., Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs in the treatment of low back pain , Journal of Pain Research 2012:5 579?590.
[Laddunoori Mounika, Velpukonda Mounika, Chatla Sharanya, Gandra Pallavi and Vema Kiran (2020); PREVALANCE AND MANAGEMENT OF SCIATICA IN A TERITIARY CARE HOSPITAL: A PROSPECTIVE OBSERVATIONAL STUDY Int. J. of Adv. Res. 8 (Apr). 270-281] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Sree Chaitanya Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Karimnagar, 505001.
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.