INNOVATIONS, COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE AND PERFORMANCE OF SMALL AND MEDIUM-SIZE ENTERPRISES IN KOGI STATE: AN EMPIRICAL INVESTIGATION
- Center for Predegree and Diploma Studies, Kogi State University, Anyigba.
- Department of Business Administration, Kogi State University, Anyigba.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
This study aimed at investigating innovations, competitive advantage and performance of Small and Medium-Size Enterprises in Kogi State. For the study, a survey research design was used. Small and Medium Enterprises in Kogi State were surveyed. Multi-stage sampling technique was adopted, and the sample size of 384was chosen.Data were collected through well structured questionnaires. 224 copies of questionnaires (58.3%) were returned out of the 384 copies of the questionnaires administered, while 160 questionnaires (41.7%) were not returned. All data collected were presented and analyzed using descriptive statistics and multiple regression models. Finding showed that innovative activities have weak effect on the survival of SMEs in Kogi State. Finding further showed that innovative activities have strong significant effect on the competitive advantage of SMEs in Kogi State. The study concluded that when innovative activities are undertaken, there is likelihood that the survival of SMEs in Kogi State will witness little changes. There is possibility that the achievement of the competitive advantage of SMEs will be facilitated given the engagement of owners/managers in innovative activities. The study recommended that SME owners/managers should give little or no attention to product innovation and process innovation, but invests more on market innovation to enhance thesurvival of their enterprises in Kogi State, and that they should engage more in process and market innovations to achieve competitive advantage in Kogi State.
- Abd Aziz, N.N. and Samad, S. (2016). Innovation and Competitive Advantage: Moderating Effects of Firm Age in Foods Manufacturing SMEs in Malaysia. Procedia Economics and Finance. 35(2016): 256? 266
- Adeusi, S.O. and Aluko, O.A. (2014).Assessing the Role of Government in Promoting Small Scale Businesses in Kogi State: The Kabba/Bunu Experience.IOSR Journal of Business and Management. 16(11): 86-92.
- Audrey, P.N and Jaraji, K. (2016).The Impact of Innovation on Performance of Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) in Tanzania: A Review of Empirical Evidence. Journal of Business and Management Sciences, 4(1): 1-6. doi: 10.12691/jbms-4-1-1.
- Bakar, L.J.A. and Ahmad, H. (2010). ?Assessing the Relationship between Firm Resources and Product Innovation Performance,? Business Process Management Journal, 16(3): 420-435.
- Bartes, F. (2013).The process of implementing Competitive Intelligence in a company.AgriculturaeEtSilviculturaeMendelianaeBrunensis. 61(4): 861?866.
- Boachie-Mensah, F.B. and Acquah, I.S. (2015). The Effect of Innovation Types on the Performance of Small and Medium Sized Enterprises in the Sekondi-Takoradi Metropolis. Archives of Business Research, 3(3): 77-98.
- Eniola, A.A. (2014). SME firms performance in Nigeria: Competitive advantage and its impact. International Journal of Research Studies in Management.3(2): 76-86. DOI: 10.5861/ijrsm.2014.854
- Gebauer, H., Worch, H. and Truffer, B. (2012). Absorptive capacity, learning processes and combinative capabilities as determinants of strategic innovation.European Management Journal. 30(1): 57-73
- Gu, L.Z. and Shao, Y.F. (2015). The Empirical Study of SMEs Innovation and Performance Factors in Sichuan. Studies in Sociology of Science, 6 (1): 40-47. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3968/6012
- Gunday, G., Ulusoy, G., Kilic, K. and Alpkan, L. (2011), Effects of Innovation Types On Firm Performance, International Journal of Production Economics. 133(2): 662-676. Retrieved on 23/12/2019 from https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2011.05.014
- Hult, G.T.M., Hurley, R.F., Knight, G.A. (2004). Innovativeness: Its Antecedents and Impact on Business Performance. Industrial Marketing Management, 33(5): 429-38.
- Idar, R. and Mahmood, R. (2011), Entrepreneurial and Marketing Orientation Relationship to Performance: The SME Perspective, Interdisciplinary Review of Economics and Management. 2(2011): 1-8
- Johnson, G., Scholes, K. and Whittington, R. (2011).Exploring corporate strategy.9th edition London: Prentice-Hall.
- Kaplan, M.J. and Warren, A.C. (2007).Patterns of Entrepreneurship, Second Edition, USA: John Wiley and Sons Inc.
- Kiraka, R. (2009). Innovative Private Sector Development Instruments ? An African Perspective for investing in the development of Small and Medium Enterprises. Working Paper 01/2009, ICEP.
- Lazonick, W. (2013). The Theory of the Market Economy and the Social Foundations of Innovative Enterprise.Economic and Industrial Democracy, 24(1): 9-44.
- Lazonick, W. (2005).The Innovative Firm, In J. Fagerberg, D. Mowery, and R. Nelson (eds.). The Oxford Handbook of Innovation, Oxford University Press: 29- 55.
- Li, Q. (2003). Profitability of small and medium-sized enterprises in high-tech industries: The case for biotechnology industry. Strategic Management Journal, 24(9): 881-887.
- Man, M.K. (2009), The Relationship Between Distinctive Capabilities, Innovativeness, Strategy Types And The Performance Of Small And Medium-Size Enterprises (SMEs) Of Malaysian Manufacturing Sector, International Business & Economics Research Journal. 8(11): 21-33
- Mohd, M.R. and Syamsuriana, S. (2013). The Impact of Innovation on the Performance of Small and Medium Manufacturing Enterprises: Evidence from Malaysia. Journal of Innovation Management in Small & Medium Enterprise, 2013(1): 1-16.
- Nafula, K.M. (2017). Effect of Innovation on Firm Competitiveness: A Study of Small and Medium Enterprises in the Manufacturing Sector in Nairobi City County, Kenya. A Thesis: Kenyatta University
- Njogu, T.W (2014).The Effect of Innovation on the Financial Performance of Small and Medium Enterprises in Nairobi County, Kenya. A Research Project: University of Nairobi.
- Ntiamoah, E.B., Li, D. and Sarpong, D.B. (2019), The effect of innovation practices on agribusiness performance: A structural equation modelling (SEM) approach, African Journal of Science, Technology, Innovation and Development, 1-12. DOI:10.1080/20421338.2019.1573958
- Olughor, R.J. (2015). Effect of Innovation on the Performance of SMEs Organizations in Nigeria.Management. 5(3): 90-95 DOI: 10.5923/j.mm.20150503.02
- Osuga, P.O. (2016). The Effects Of Strategic Innovation On The Performance Of SMEs In Nairobi County. A Research Project Report: United States International University ?Africa
- Porter, M.E. (1980). Competitive strategy. New York: The Free Press.
- Ramadani, V. and Gerguri, S. (2011). ?Innovation: Principles and Strategies?, Advances in Management. 4(7): 7-12.
- Raymond, L. and St-Pierre, J. (2010). R&D as a determinant of innovation in manufacturing SMEs: An attempt at empirical clarification. Technovation, 30(1): 48-56.
- Schumpeter, J.A. (1934). The Theory of Economic development: an inquiry into profits, capital, credit, interest and the business cycle, Cambridge mass: Harvard University press.
- Spithoven, A., Bart, C., and Mirjam, K. (2011). Building Absorptive Capacity to Organise Inbound OpenInnovation in Traditional Industries.Technovation 31(1): 10?21. doi:10.1016/j.technovation.2010.10.003.
- Subrahmanya, B.M. (2009). Nature and strategy of product innovations in SMEs: A case study-based comparative perspective of Japan and India, Innovation: management, policy & practice, 11(1): 104-113.
- Susanto, A.B. (2017). Improve The Performance Of SMES Through Innovation Strategies In Developing Countries. International Journal of Scientific and Technology Research. 6(10): 282-285
- Ukpabio, M.G., Oyebisi, T.O. and Siyanbola, O.W. (2018). Effects of Innovation on Performance of Manufacturing SMEs in Nigeria: An empirical study. Retrieved on 21/09/2019 from http://liee.ntua.gr/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/879-Effects-of-Innovation-on-Performance-of-Manufacturing-SMEs-.pdf.
[Akeem Tunde Nafiu, Halilu Uba and Emmanuel Makoji Egwu (2020); INNOVATIONS, COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE AND PERFORMANCE OF SMALL AND MEDIUM-SIZE ENTERPRISES IN KOGI STATE: AN EMPIRICAL INVESTIGATION Int. J. of Adv. Res. 8 (Apr). 23-31] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Center for Predegree and Diploma Studies, Kogi State University, Anyigba.
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/10740 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/10740
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.