- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Objective: This study was carried out to compare themaximum bite Force of diabetic patients wearing two different types of removable partial dentures; heat cured acrylic and flexible denture base.The patients were controlled type 2 diabetes mellitus patients(T2DM) having maxillary and mandibular bounded posterior edentulous span(Class III Kennedy classification) opposing each other during different time intervals. Materials and Methods: thirty controlled type 2 diabetic patient having maxillary and mandibular posterior bounded edentulous span (Class III Kennedy classification) opposing each other were selected. Maximum bite forces (MBF) were measured for both polymethyl methacrylateheat cure resin (PMMA) and thermoplastic acrylic removablepartial denture by using a portable force gauge. Records were taken one day after delivery, one month and 2 months later for each partial denture. Results:MBF for thermoplastic denture was significantly higher than PMMA denture (P < 0.05) as in PMMA denture it was (27.2 ? 3.8, 30.6 ? 4.04, 35.4 ? 4.7) while in thermoplastic denture it was (55.4 ? 5.9, 60.2 ?4.1 & 67.6 ?5.1) after delivery, one month and 2 months later respectively. Conclusion: The thermoplastic acrylic partial dentures showed higher maximum bite force than the polymethyl methacrylate heat cure acrylic partial dentures in all recorded time intervals and the maximum bite force was increased in both dentures with increasing the adaptation period.
- Fontijn-Tekamp FA, SlagterAP, Van Der Bilt A.2000. Biting and chewing in overdentures, full dentures, and natural dentitions. Journal of Dental Research, 79(7), 1519-1524.
- Shinkal RS, Hatch JP, Sakai S. 2001. Oral function and diet quality in a community based sample. Journal of Dental Research, 80, 1625-1630.
- Miyaura K, Morita M, Matsuka Y, Yamashita A, Watanabe T. 2000Rehabilitation of biting abilities in patients with different types of dental prostheses. Journal of Oral Rehabilitation, 27, 1073?1076.
- Parle D, Desai D, Bansal A. 2013. Estimation of individual bite force during normal occlusion using FEA.?Altair Technol Journal. Infosys, India11?19.
- Awad GD, Ausama A.2013 Relationship of maximum bite force with craniofacial morphology, body mass and height in an Iraqi adult with different types of malocclusion.?J Baghdad Coll Dent. 25(1):129?138.
- Kogawa EM, Calderon PS, Lauris JR, Araujo CR, Conti PC. 2006 Evaluation of maximal bite force in temporomandibular disorders patients.?J Oral Rehabil;33(8):559?65.
- Koc D, Dogan A, Bek B. 2010Bite force and influential factors on bite force measurements: a literature review.?Eur J Dent.; 4(2):223).
- Fernandes CP, Glantz P-OJ, Svensson SA, Bergmark A. 2003A novel sensor for bite force determinations.?Dent Mater;19(2):118?26).
- K?n?nen M, Klemetti E, Waltimo A, Ahlberg J, Ev?lahti M, Kleemola-Kujala E, et al. 2006 Tooth wear in maxillary anterior teeth from 14 to 23 years of age.?ActaOdontol Scand.;64(1):55?58.
- Braun S, Bantleon HP, Hnat WP, Freudenthaler JW, Marcotte MR, Johnson BE. 1995 A study of bite force, part 1: Relationship to various physical characteristics.?Angle Orthod; 65(5):367?72.
- VermaTP et al. 2017 Bite Force Recording Devices - A Review. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research. 11(9): ZE01-ZE05
- SuwalP et al. 2017 Body Mass Index and maximum bite force in Nepalese population. J DentSpecialities; 5(2):95-97.
- Jagger RG, Milward PJ, Jagger DC, Vowles RW. 2003Accuracy of adaptation of thermoformed polymethylmethacrylate. J Oral Rehabil; 30(4):364?8.
- Anusavice KJ. 2012.12th edition Philadelphia WB Saunders Phillips. Science of Dental Materials, 238.
- Lowe LG. 2004 Flexible denture flanges for patients exhibiting undercut tuberosities and reduced width of the buccal vestibule: a clinical report. J Prosthet Dent;92(2):128?31.
- Vivek R. 2016 Polyamides as a Denture Base Material ? A Review. Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences; 15 (12): 119 -121.
- Prashanti E, Jain N, Shenoy VK, Reddy JM, Shetty B T, Saldanha S. 2010 Flexible dentures: A flexible option to treat edentulous patients. Journal of Nepal Dental Association (2010), Vol. 11, No. 1, Jan.-Jun., 85-87
- Hamanaka I, Takahashi Y, Shimizu H. 2011 Mechanical properties of injection-molded thermoplastic denture base resins. ActaOdontolScand; 69(2):75?9.
- Varon F, Shipman M. 2000 the role of dental professional in diabetes care. J ContempDent Prac; 1:1-27.
- Kansal G, Goyal D. 2013 Prosthodontic Management of Patients with Diabetes Mellitus. J Adv Med Dent Scie Res; 1(1):38-44.
- He T, Stavropoulos D, Hagberg C, Hakeberg M, Mohlin B.2013 Effects of masticatory muscle training on maximum bite force and muscular endurance.?ActaOdontol Scand.; 71(3-4):863?69.
- Serra CM, Manns AE. 2013 Bite force measurements with hard and soft bite surfaces.?J Oral Rehabil; 40(8):563?68.
- Varga S, Spalj S, Varga ML, Milosevic SA, Mestrovic S, Slaj M. 2011 Maximum voluntary molar bite force in subjects with normal occlusion.?Eur J Orthod.; 33(4):427?33).
- Abiko Y, Selimovic D. 2010 the mechanism of protracted wound healing on oral mucosa in diabetes: Review. Bosn J Basic Med Sci; 10:186?91.
- Osada H, Shimpo H, Hayakawa T, Ohkubo C. 2013 Influence of thickness and undercut of thermoplastic resin clasps on retentive force, Dent. Mater J., 32(3), 381?389.
- Tumrasvin W, FuekiK, Ohyama T. 2006 Factors associated with masticatory performance in unilateral distal extension removable partial denture patients, J. Prosthodont., 15(1), 25?31).
- Alhaija ES,?Al Zo'ubi IA,?Al Rousan ME,?Mohammad M,Hammad 2009Maximum occlusal biteforces in Jordanian individuals with different dentofacial vertical skeletal patterns. European Journal of Orthodontics (32) 71?77
- Tumrasvin W et al. 2005 Masticatory function after unilateral distal extension removable partial denturetreatment: intra-individual comparison with opposite dentulous side. J Med Dent Sci.; 52: 35?41.
- Singh SK. 2015 Masticatory efficiency of partially edentulous patients pre and post fixed prosthodontic rehabilitation. JNDA; 15: 18-23.
- Ibraheem EM, Hammad HG. 2019 Effect of Commercially Available Denture Adhesives on Microhardness of a Flexible Denture Base Material. Open Access Maced J Med Sci.; 7(5):862-868.
- Shala K, Tmava-Dragusha A, Dula L, Pustina-Krasniqi T, Bicaj T, Ahmedi E, Lila Z.2018Evaluation of Maximum Bite Force in Patients with Complete Dentures. Open Access Maced J Med Sci.; 6(3): 559?563.
[Eman Mostafa Ahmed Ibraheem and Ahmed Mostafa Esmat El-sisy (2020); COMPARING MAXIMUM BITE FORCE FOR DIABETIC PATIENTS WEARING TWO DIFFERENT TYPES OF REMOVABLE PARTIAL DENTURES: A RANDOMIZED CROSS-OVER STUDY Int. J. of Adv. Res. 8 (Apr). 198-204] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
**Researcher Removable Prosthodontics, National Research Centre, Egypt.
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.