30Apr 2016

Relation of Vitamin D with Bone Mineral Density and Bone Turnover Markers in Healthy Saudi Men.

  • Assistant professor of clinical biochemistry, faculty of applied medical science, Taif University.
  • Abstract
  • Cite This Article as
  • Corresponding Author

Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin that have an important biological function in maintaining calcium homeostasis and normal bone growth. Subject and methods: 346 healthy Saudi men recruited into the center of excellence for osteoporosis research and classified according to vitamin D status. For each, BMD for lumbar spine and femoral necks were measured. Also, biochemical markers include serum calcium, phosphorus, ALP, iPTH, 25(OH) vitamin D, osteocalcin, PINP, CTX, and NTX were estimated. Results: Normal vitamin D level represent about 16.18% of our subjects while the remainder were vitamin D deficient 83.82 %. There were significant differences in iPTH, BMD of the lumbar spine, and both femoral necks, CTX, and NTX between four groups (P<0.01). Also, 25(OH) vitamin D levels showed a negative correlation with iPTH and NTX levels, while the positive correlation with BMD of both femoral necks, and PINP level (P<0.01). Conclusion: Low vitamin D level will be associated with high PTH level that may activate bone turnover and decrease BMD leading to increasing bone susceptibility to fracture.


[Alhazmi, A., S. (2016); Relation of Vitamin D with Bone Mineral Density and Bone Turnover Markers in Healthy Saudi Men. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 4 (Apr). 205-211] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com


ayman Alhazmi


Share this article